Corsair Community

CUE Updating Questions - "...has encountered an error..."

SergeTroy

Preamble: Hi all, appreciate anyone that stops to look at my question, and I'm glad to be part of the corsair community! Have always loved Corsair's memory and cases, and this is the second mechanical keyboard I've had through corsair, which continues to be stunningly beautiful!

So, I've recently been gifted the Corsair Gaming K95 RGB mechanical gaming keyboard with Cherry MX RGB Red switches. Took a look at a couple of videos online about the unboxing (to confirm I have what I should) and the basics of installation (because RTFM is so passe, :P). After switching out from the temp keyboard I'd been using (most basic k120 logitech) to this shiny new tech (arrow logo'd connector first, keyboard logo'd second), I downloaded the most current version of the CUE software I could find and installed it. Everything seemed to go fine, and the keyboard lit up like a Christmas tree of rippling joy. I'll include my current system specs at the end here.

Now, I next opened up the CUE and went to general settings as I figured that regardless of having downloaded the current version (v2.7.78) it could never be a bad thing to double check by running the update software. Here I ran into my mild concern. Normally, if I'm on the most current and up to date version of anything, I expect that the application or whatever will recognize that and give me a little message to that effect. In this instance, I instead got, "Corsair Utility Engine has detected an error during software update check," which definitely made me go hmm. I then went to 'Open Firmware Update,' and got the odd combo of being told that both I was running the most current version (v2.05), but the only option wasn't to hit 'okay,' but instead to force an update or browse for the firmware image.

Now, I don't know that any of this is indicative of, "You screwed up your install, buddy," but it's odd enough that - as I'm new to CUE - I figure I'd better at least check with the community if not create a ticket for the same. One thought I had is that I could always uninstall CUE via Revo Uninstaller Pro, clean up with CCleaner, and then reinstall during a Clean Boot, as I am always running Anti-virus and Anti-malware and that may be mucking it up. Beyond that, I really dunno and so am consulting you, the massive community that knows all (crowd sourced tech support FTW and all).

And now, my system hardware and software specs:

OS: Windows Home Premium 64-bit (upgraded from 7 to 10 about a year ago)

CPU: i5-3570K (overclocked to 4.2 GHz from 3.4 standard (3.8 Turbo))

CPU Fan: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 2011/1366/1155 and AMD FM1/FM2/AM3+

MOBO: ASUS Maximus V EXTREME Extended ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM: 16 GB of Corsair Dominator Platinum at 1800

GPU / Video Card: AMD 7870, 2 GB VRAM (XFX Double D FX-787A-CDBC Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition Black Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ most current driver)

Primary Storage: 250 GB SSD (Samsung 830 Series)

No need to worry. CUE2 didn't exit beta that long ago, it still has some issues. Automatic update checking is one of them, it doesn't work right now.

Also, about it asking to force update the firmware, it's more of a convenience thing having that button there. You don't have to force update unless you want to. It says you can force update, should you so desire.

Hey, thanks Llama71! Have to admit that after I ran into that I decided to play around a bit once I got home from school & work, and found out "modes? what modes?" LOL, but the documentation and videos on Corsair's YouTube channel or what not on setting up and working with CUE left me first confused, then frustrated, and finally angry. Thankfully customer service was able to clear things up for me pretty quick as far as goes the various changes and transition of the software. Only thing I might have some issue with is not being able to attach two executables to a single profile (e.g. Mass Effect 2 has both the MassEffect2.exe AND the ME2Game.exe, and I'd rather they both be included under one profile rather than having to bounce between them).

Either way, I'll call this a growing experience :D Thanks again!

Archived