Corsair Community

Unable to boot with XMP CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 on Asus z170 pro gaming MB

r-Z

Hello Guys,

I have similar issue with my PC

CPU Type : QuadCore Intel Core i7-6700K, 4200 MHz (42 x 100)

Motherboard Name : Asus Z170 Pro Gaming

GPU : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

DIMM1: Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 : 8 GB DDR4-2133 DDR4 SDRAM

DIMM3: Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 : 8 GB DDR4-2133 DDR4 SDRAM

BIOS 2003

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi all.

The same issue got me to this site.

The problem is with the Asus z170 pro gaming motherboard!

My vendor blamed Asus for not testing memory bricks over 2200/2400MHz.

I tried tweaking with DRAM numbers etc in a week, got it up and running, all tests went great, but it booted only 5 out of 10 times.

"Overclocking failed"...

The solution was to replace the motherboard.

Then i could enable XMP profile and CPU overclock.

Successfull boots all the time :)

Get your motherboard replaced! If your vendor wont accept it, contact Asus. They should be well aware of this crap bord!

My setup:

Motherboard: Asus Rog Maximus VIII Hero (Previous Asus z170 Pro Gaming)

Processor: Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake

Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H110i

Memory: 2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000MHz (CMK16GX4M2B3000C15)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW Gaming

Power Supply: Corsair CX750M

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black

Monitor: Philips 4K 65"

Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit

Edited by Raidmax

Same problem here, on an Asus Z170i Pro Gaming MB, i7-6700k, and Corsair LPX DDR4-3200 (2x8GB)... Will only run with one stick in. Ridiculous how often I've seen this problem posted at various tech sites.

The ram info... CMK16GX4M2B3200C16

Help...

Ncase M1 v5 | Noctua C14 HSF | nVidia 1080-FE | Corsair SF600 PS | 2 120mm Vardar's exhaust |

Edited by JuryPoolReject

Seems like I have the same story as most of you. Tore my hair out over the weekend to try and diagnose WTF was going on.

My game was freezing after a short time and then resetting the PC. I started by updating the bios and then chased my tail from there.

I've used an ASUS Z170-AR, i7 6700k and 2 sticks of Vengeance LPX 3000mhz.

So far I can't get the PC to boot with both sticks. I can only boot with one stick in the slot furthest from the CPU. It also appears that one stick of RAM is faulty because I've tried both sticks individually in the same slot and only one will boot.

This is the first time I've used both ASUS and Corsair. Always been a Gigabyte fan. I also bought a Corsair AIO water cooler and had to take it back to the vendor as it didn't work. Just rubbish.

So what am I supposed to do? Do I RMA the motherboard or RMA the RAM.. or both.. and go with the tried and tested Gigabyte brand that's served me for over a decade?

Not happy.

Hi All,

I had the same issue with XMP but I just manually entered in all the timings and disabled XMP and I've had no problems in mem86 or prime.

Is XMP that necessary?

DDR4 3200mhz

I think XMP is part of overclocking the memory. I'm not really interested in it myself I just wanted the RAM to work at the advertised speeds.

I'll definintely try what you've done though.

If you are having trouble booting up, you should not be overclocking the memory yet. A bad motherboard slot will be problematic at all frequencies. Leave it on AUTO for now and see if you can boot up reliably.

Anything over 2133 MHz is an overclock. The XMP preset is a "one button" overclock for your memory. Just like similar features on your motherboard for overclocking the CPU, they can be a bit hit or miss and usually don't represent the best or most efficient settings. Enabling XMP on most motherboards will also change several other variables, usually system agent voltage (VCCSA), DRAM voltage, and sometimes the base clock (BCLK) or strap modifier. These preset values on the memory module are universal for all brands. They do not take into account your specific CPU tendencies or board capabilities. This motherboard seems to be trouble for a lot of people. You might search for a motherboard specific guide for overclocking your memory. Surely there is something on the Asus ROG forums. Things like VCCSA are very CPU and board specific and it's better to use a targeted approach.

Enter the 'XMP' timings, frequency, and DRAM voltage manually (1.35v). You likely will need to increase system agent voltage as well. Just like any overclock, if that doesn't work you need to drop to a lower frequency and try again. All boards should be able to run 2666. Use the XMP timings again to start, but those can likely be tightened at a later date.

Hello,

I have the same issue at home with 2 x 4 gb Corsair vengeance Lpx 3000mhz (CMK16GX4M2B3000C15) on my Asus z170i pro gaming :

Unable to boot with xpm setting : black screen. I have to stop the pc by pressing 5 sec on the power button. When i start the pc again, i have the message "overcloking failed" on the screen.

The maximum i can set manualy for the ram is 2800 mhz, (above 2800 = black screen even with the 1.2v or 1.35v)

I installed the last bios for the motherboard but nothing change.

Do i need to return the ram to rma ?

Thank you

Having the same issue here (Asus z170 pro gaming). When your PCs won't POST did you experience flashing CPU_LED or/and DRAM_LED on your motherboards? I'm kinda scared because I think I just killed my CPU along with my RAM because of XMP.

hi, I don't have flashing CPU LED / DRAM_LED here.

Asus z170 Pro Gaming

Corsair 32GB DDR4 Vengence LPX CMK32GX4M2B3200C16

Newest BIOS

Newest Mobo Rev

Same problem here. Read 28 pages here and hundreds of other threads spread out on the net this entire evening, good to know I'm not alone atleast.

Also good to know I bought CMK32GX4M2B3200C16 and I could have gotten away with half as expensive memorymodules with the same speeds ;) hehe.

Has anyone found a workaround or stable settings? Mine is crashing at pretty much everything above 2400mhz and even at that its not very stable.

Kind regards,

Fredrik

Mine is 2x8gb i could have gotten for a bit less 2x4gb 4000mhz corsair vengeance ram they should be able to run at 3000,3200 even 3400mhz which is max asus rated ram speed,without the ram being unstable, then it would be the mb,bios or both that isn't doing a good job

Does anybody know if it's the ram,mb or bios or mb+bios or alle 3 things that does work together

This thread has gotten quite long and it is easy to miss stuff now. However, one of the key things to note is there is no thread for "My Corsair RAM won't run 3000" for the Asus Maximus Gene, Hero, Ranger, A, Pro, Deluxe, or Sabertooth Z170 series. It's the same RAM everyone else is using on their boards. Whether it is the board solely or the combination is another matter. They have had a year and a half to come up with a BIOS fix, so it is not likely to solvable in that fashion. Once upon a time, someone from Asus intimated it was a physical limitation on the board, but I wouldn't expect that to be repeated. Besides the 4000 Mhz memory plug, the product page also suggests you can run your Skylake at 5.2, with a little asterisk. Apparently the asterisk applies to everything on the page as well. I certainly would not spring for 4000 RAM for this particular motherboard.

Cpu Vccio 1.000volt

Cpu System Agemt Voltage 1.130volt

Xmp 3000 (have 3000 mhz ram)

Had to change timing to 15 dram cas (i think it was 15 all the time) 17 ras to cas (it might have been 1 higher or lower) and 35 ras act time (it use to be 36) i did all that before i tried xmp 3000

1 time ibt standard 10 runs pass goal maximum 10 runs pass

http://peecee.dk/uploads/122016/2016-12-22_11_21_17-.png

Edited by gasolin

I registered right now, cause the exact same problem happened to me last night, a little google search and here i am, lol.

Asus z-170 pro gaming, latest bios 2003

CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 2x8Gb Vengeance LPX Kit

i5-6600k @4.5Ghz

Weird thing is my system worked perfectly fine for a couple of days with XMP enabled, system was rock solid, then last night i rebooted and got the dreaded "overclock failed" message.

I tried to re-enable XMP but system didn't wanna boot at all, worked perfectly fine on auto at (2133Mhz ofc)

Today after reading through this thread i tried to manually set XMP values in bios (3200Mhz latency 16-18-36 and 1.35V, left all the rest on auto) and system boots just fine, perfectly stable so far.

BUT, if i try to obtain the exact same results by enabling XMP, BAM, overclock failed again!

When you leave the secondary and tertiary memory timings on Auto, the board will select its own values from pre-programmed BIOS information and any memory training it performs on boot. It is likely the values selected are not the same as the XMP presets, which are universal regardless of motherboard, CPU, or other hardware. In terms of stability, I have had much better luck letting the Asus board choose the DDR4 timings compared to XMP, although that is on a different CPU and board.

You may also wish to consider if the higher frequency is really the best performer. Initially, frequency trumped timings by a good bit. This is still true for gross bandwidth, but not many people run applications limited in that manner. I am also running a 3200 MHz kit, however I have found the sweet spot in terms of performance and stability for my modules is not 3200 XMP (15-17-17-35), but 2666 (12-13-13-28). While the higher frequency does not crash, it shows more variance in benchmarks. I value precision above bandwidth for most uses and you are likely in the same boat. You may wish to evaluate at lower frequencies with tighter timings and see exactly what you are missing -- or gaining.

Edited by c-attack

I mostly use my comp for flight sims (x-plane, p3d and DCS) and some other games (arma 3, deus-ex mankind divided)

Honestly the difference between running ram at 3200Mhz and at stock 2133Mhz is negligible, 1 or 2 fps at max, but on a principle basis i would like to run the product i bought at its advertised speed.

I could have bought normal 2133mhz sticks, but the price difference was little so i opted for 3200mhz ones.

Ty for your reply and merry xmas!

Cheers!

Understood and not offered as excuse for this board's memory issues. However, it doesn't have to be an either or thing with 3200 or JEDEC 2133. You may be able to achieve better timings and performance with the kit you have compared to a slightly cheaper 2666 kit. 2666 is also a voltage hump. You can probably run 13-15-15-31 @ 1.20v with better, more reliable performance and lower module temps than trying furiously to make that board comply at 3200. The standard LPX 2x8 kit is a C16 XMP kit. C16 vs 13 is a substantial difference. So while ultimately you may not be able to reach the bandwidth maximum, you may still get better performance than you would with a lower priced kit at like speeds.