Corsair Community

Looking to upgrade my pc case

berlin88

I have had my current case for a number of years now, and have finally decided to upgrade to something newer. I am debating between the Corsair Crystal 570X and Phanteks Enthoo Pro M SE.

I love the appearance of the Crystal 570X, but it doesn't have any optical drive slots (I need 1) and only has 2x slots for 3.5" hard drives, and I would ideally need 3. I could get external enclosures for the optical drive and 3rd HDD, but that simply adds to the cost of getting a new case.

Is there any significant advantage or disadvantage to either case? I don't use water cooling, so that is not an issue when selecting a case.

Additionally, I would be getting Corsair LL RGB fans for whichever case I buy. Either 120mm or 140mm, depending on what you helpful folks recommend.

Thanks for your help

I have had my current case for a number of years now, and have finally decided to upgrade to something newer. I am debating between the Corsair Crystal 570X and Phanteks Enthoo Pro M SE.

I love the appearance of the Crystal 570X, but it doesn't have any optical drive slots (I need 1) and only has 2x slots for 3.5" hard drives, and I would ideally need 3. I could get external enclosures for the optical drive and 3rd HDD, but that simply adds to the cost of getting a new case.

Is there any significant advantage or disadvantage to either case? I don't use water cooling, so that is not an issue when selecting a case.

Additionally, I would be getting Corsair LL RGB fans for whichever case I buy. Either 120mm or 140mm, depending on what you helpful folks recommend.

Thanks for your help

Have you looked at the 500D SE? It comes with 3x LL-120s and a Commander Pro, I think this is a better deal, and a much nicer looking case.

Do you really need an optical drive? I don't recall the last time I used one. My old man got a slim external USB one for his system. I ditched the 3.5" drives and I don't even have a 2.5", I went all M.2 NVMEs. This saves a lot on space. Granted I did hook up an external HDD to a NAS, I can stream content their to my smart TV and I don't need to have added items taking up space in my system. As more people ditch the 5.25 bay and reduce 3.5" or only use SSDs, you will see less support for them. Good luck!

Have you looked at the 500D SE? It comes with 3x LL-120s and a Commander Pro, I think this is a better deal, and a much nicer looking case.

Do you really need an optical drive? I don't recall the last time I used one. My old man got a slim external USB one for his system. I ditched the 3.5" drives and I don't even have a 2.5", I went all M.2 NVMEs. This saves a lot on space. Granted I did hook up an external HDD to a NAS, I can stream content their to my smart TV and I don't need to have added items taking up space in my system. As more people ditch the 5.25 bay and reduce 3.5" or only use SSDs, you will see less support for them. Good luck!

I looked at the 500d SE, but it was out of stock at several online sites, hence why I was debating between the 570X and Phanteks case.

I still use a Blu Ray optical drive and several HDD in addition to my lone SSD, so I ultimately opted to purchase a case that still had support for those items.

I loved the appearance of the 570X, but the lack of an optical drive slot was an issue, as was the pricing when compared to alternatives.

Getting the 570X + external optical drive enclosure would have been close to $200, even after the $20 rebate. The case I ended up getting is only $95 after tax and rebate. I can always upgrade later on if Corsair were to release a Tempered Glass case that supports optical drives and more than 2 HDD.

I see no reason, why Corsair can't modify the 570X to include room for a 3rd 3.5" HDD and a 5.35" Optical drive slot. Just make the 570X a little taller, and cut a hole in the tempered glass for a single optical drive slot. They could also simply affix a removable piece of tempered glass over the optical drive slot.

Many cases now have the PSU on the bottom of the case, so they could easily stick an optical drive slot on the bottom of the case, with an additional piece of removable tempered glass added to the bottom of the case. The 3rd HDD slot could simply go where the other two already are. a 3.5 drive is roughly 150mm in length, so making the case 6 inches taller would work just fine.

I am not 100% satisfied with my ultimate purchase, but given the additional costs that would have come with buying the 570X, I was comfortable settling for my second choice.

Archived