Corsair Community

Steam and anything that polls USB devices crashes because of K70 RGB Lux

cxmachi

I am having an issue that is most definitely an issue with the K70 Lux RGB and how it interacts with the USB ports on this PC.

Whenever I plug in a USB device (be it a controller, a secondary mouse), Steam will freeze. The caps lock and num lock indicator on the keyboard will also not work anymore.

As soon as I set the polling switch on the keyboard to BIOS, then Steam unfreezes. When I set it back to

This is most definitely an issue with the keyboard as I have not had any of these issues prior to owning this keyboard. While you can say that it might be a compatibility issue with Steam, that's not really acceptable considering a gaming keyboard should at the very LEAST be working with Steam.

I've tried changing between USB ports, from USB 2.0 to 3.0 and back. Tried updating all the drivers and it's still the same issue. I've looked all over these forums and there is definitely quite a few of us experiencing the same issue.

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Start computer.

2. Notice that CUE has loaded up since my lights are showing RGB effects

3. Plug in a USB device like a controller or another mouse

4. Notice that Steam freezes and is unusable. ALSO notice that if you press Caps Lock or Numlock, the lights will not light up, no matter what you do.

5. Set polling switch to BIOS

6. Steam now unfreezes and is usable.

7. Set polling back to default. Caps lock and Numlock also now works again.

8. You can now unplug and replug USB devices without issue, but this only lasts for maybe 1 or 2 replugs. You have to go back to Step 1 again.

I don't want to have to do this workaround every single time. Note, I also just tested this and you can replace Steam with the Windows USB Game Controller screen. This keyboard is definitely causing USB conflicts and it's not just me.

Relevant specs:

Motherboard - Asus Maximus IX Hero

Keyboard - Corsair K70 RGB Lux

Attaching CUE log files as well

2017-06-10T11-48-37 - Copy.zip

I am having an issue that is most definitely an issue with the K70 Lux RGB and how it interacts with the USB ports on this PC.

Whenever I plug in a USB device (be it a controller, a secondary mouse), Steam will freeze. The caps lock and num lock indicator on the keyboard will also not work anymore.

As soon as I set the polling switch on the keyboard to BIOS, then Steam unfreezes. When I set it back to

This is most definitely an issue with the keyboard as I have not had any of these issues prior to owning this keyboard. While you can say that it might be a compatibility issue with Steam, that's not really acceptable considering a gaming keyboard should at the very LEAST be working with Steam.

I've tried changing between USB ports, from USB 2.0 to 3.0 and back. Tried updating all the drivers and it's still the same issue. I've looked all over these forums and there is definitely quite a few of us experiencing the same issue.

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Start computer.

2. Notice that CUE has loaded up since my lights are showing RGB effects

3. Plug in a USB device like a controller or another mouse

4. Notice that Steam freezes and is unusable. ALSO notice that if you press Caps Lock or Numlock, the lights will not light up, no matter what you do.

5. Set polling switch to BIOS

6. Steam now unfreezes and is usable.

7. Set polling back to default. Caps lock and Numlock also now works again.

8. You can now unplug and replug USB devices without issue, but this only lasts for maybe 1 or 2 replugs. You have to go back to Step 1 again.

I don't want to have to do this workaround every single time. Note, I also just tested this and you can replace Steam with the Windows USB Game Controller screen. This keyboard is definitely causing USB conflicts and it's not just me.

Relevant specs:

Motherboard - Asus Maximus IX Hero

Keyboard - Corsair K70 RGB Lux

Attaching CUE log files as well

cxmachi, you are not alone.

I'm having the exact same issue with the same K70 RGB LUX and Maximus IX Formula. Sounds like a USB handling exception.

I already submitted a support ticket, so to spare the details I'll paste it here.... Lemme know if this is spot on.

Ticket Description:

Cue 2 and my K70 RGB LUX has issues when opening Steam and launching games (from other clients too). When Steam hangs, I can flip the polling-rate switch and it stops hanging. Steam, Need for speed 2015, Mass Effect Andromeda, Watchdogs, The Division, DOOM, Ghost Recon Wildlands, and others all hang on launch and close due to this issue. Hang time, appcrash, and timeout can last 30 seconds to 2 minutes.

This issue doesn't occur with K70 unplugged OR Cue 2 uninstalled. Everything loads instantaneously.

Steam and others function fine with another keyboard and Cue and the K70 performs fine without Cue installed.

This was with a clean OS, clean steam install, and clean CUE install with just drivers. All were latest versions, including motherboard BIOS. I've tried many USB configurations.

The problem seems to occur when CUE installs the "Virtual USB composite device" and "Corsair BUS." Then the keyboard has trouble with Steam/others.

I also have the Glaive, VOID Wireless, and Polaris mouse pad.

This link -> http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=168442 - describes the problem identically.

Specs: Asus Maximus IX Formula, Intel i7 7700K, Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB 3466Mhz, ASUS GTX1080ti OC, Samsung 960 Pro 1TB NMVe, Corsair HX1000i PSU.

BIOS Settings are all AUTO except CSM disabled. Legacy USB set to AUTO

Sound Familiar?

That is definitely spot on. I noticed that when I completely uninstalled CUE, it removed the Corsair Composite Virtual Input Device driver in Device Manager.

I NO LONGER experience the issue once that was uninstalled. However, now I'm stuck with an RGB keyboard where I can't customize the lights or have any dynamic effects which completely defeats the purpose. Please, please, please find a way to reproduce and fix this Corsair.

cxmachi, you are not alone.

I'm having the exact same issue with the same K70 RGB LUX and Maximus IX Formula. Sounds like a USB handling exception.

I already submitted a support ticket, so to spare the details I'll paste it here.... Lemme know if this is spot on.

Ticket Description:

Cue 2 and my K70 RGB LUX has issues when opening Steam and launching games (from other clients too). When Steam hangs, I can flip the polling-rate switch and it stops hanging. Steam, Need for speed 2015, Mass Effect Andromeda, Watchdogs, The Division, DOOM, Ghost Recon Wildlands, and others all hang on launch and close due to this issue. Hang time, appcrash, and timeout can last 30 seconds to 2 minutes.

This issue doesn't occur with K70 unplugged OR Cue 2 uninstalled. Everything loads instantaneously.

Steam and others function fine with another keyboard and Cue and the K70 performs fine without Cue installed.

This was with a clean OS, clean steam install, and clean CUE install with just drivers. All were latest versions, including motherboard BIOS. I've tried many USB configurations.

The problem seems to occur when CUE installs the "Virtual USB composite device" and "Corsair BUS." Then the keyboard has trouble with Steam/others.

I also have the Glaive, VOID Wireless, and Polaris mouse pad.

This link -> http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=168442 - describes the problem identically.

Specs: Asus Maximus IX Formula, Intel i7 7700K, Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB 3466Mhz, ASUS GTX1080ti OC, Samsung 960 Pro 1TB NMVe, Corsair HX1000i PSU.

BIOS Settings are all AUTO except CSM disabled. Legacy USB set to AUTO

Sound Familiar?

Does it happen on K70 series keyboards only?

I'm planning to buy a K70 LUX RGB but now the plan is delayed after hearing so much similar reports.

I have an M65 Pro RGB mouse working and the CUE works normally; your problem does not occur on my laptop and mouse currently.

If it is only caused by the K70 keyboard, I would not buy it. And I also heard about the LED noise of K70. Bad news.

No, I have a K70 LUX rapidfire, a K95P, 1 M65 RGB laster, 1 M65 RGB Pro, and 1 Glaive and have never experienced this with Steam or anything else. Obviously they are experiencing some type of problem, but Steam is so widespread and the overwhelming majority of RGB keyboard owners likely have it installed. These pages would be flooded with reports if there was a direct causal connection between the keyboard, CUE, and Steam. Most likely there is another device or program in the mix.

• 3 weeks later...
I am having the same issue with a K70 LUX RGB I just added to my PC.. I plug any other USB controlled peripheral, like my xbox 360 controller and steam freezes. I've never seen this happen before with steam. It's a real bummer because that KB was the final part of my new build. Before adding the KB I had cue 2 running with an M65 RGB (optical) mouse and all was fine. So it's something about the K70 LUX and how it interacts with cue 2 I guess.

• Corsair Employees
Just curious, you both mentioned that you have issues when connecting a secondary controller. Are you experiencing issues only in Big Picture Mode for Steam? What happens if you launch the title from your Windows Desktop? Also, are either of you using a Steam Link? Finally, besides Xbox 360 Controller, which other controllers have you used, and are you using a third party software to pair it to the computer?

Nick, hopefully this helps. I had to edit a few times to get all the information in.

- this is only for the normal Steam view for me, I never use big picture.

- I am not using steam link at all.

- The driver for the 360 controller is the default Microsoft one, it auto-loads when I plug the controller in. I did force ably remove it and let windows re-add it once and that didn't change anything. My OS is windows 10 64 home with the creators update.

- The USB devices i have connected are: Corsair M65 RGB optical, K70 red led (no cue support), Logitech G13, Microsoft xbox 360 controller (wireless with USB transmitter) and an Anker 4-Port USB 3.0 Ultra-Slim Portable USB Hub. I have the HUB hung off of the USB port on the K70. I had it in that config when I was using the LUX also.

other things to note, I am running a commander pro and lighting node pro with corsair link (all latest fw and software). Those are on my USB bus also.

It's a weird issue for sure. I have a K70 red led with cherry mx reds on it now, no lighting effects or anything that communicates with cue on that one and all is fine. As soon as I introduce that K70 LUX with cue 2 I get that oddity. I am probably going to move the LUX to my other PC where I don't game much at all, because wow that's one nice kb.. with the mx browns. I was super bummed to because I was like "It's all DONE... oh wait.." ;)

• Corsair Employees

Thanks for the info. Can you open your Big Picture Mode and check the following:

* Controller -> Controller Settings

Can you check that you have "Xbox Configuration Support" Selected

* Controller -> Base Configuration -> Desktop Configuration

Verify if this screen says disabled

* Steam Overlay -> Check "Enable the Steam Overlay"

* On-Screen Keyboard -> Select "Use the Standard On-Screen Keyboard"

If you have created a custom profile in CUE, try creating a new profile with no remaps or macros. I know you mention you use the desktop to launch games, but I would try BPM in Steam to see if this has an affect on the issue since it's optimized for controller support.

Nick - I need to get two usb extensions so I can easily connect that PC to the K70 LUX and try that for you. I have that KB wired into my other PC now, like cables are properly routed and tied down in place under the desk and such. It will be a day or two to get those and I will then be able to run those tests.

EDIT: I am having issues now with my M65 RGB (optical) mouse disconnecting after windows freshly loads up. Just about every other boot after windows loads I hear the USB disconnect sound and my M65 is not responding. Re-plugging it recovers it. Just a note about the M65, it has always felt like it added a little input lag in comparison with the M40 which it was replacing. Before removing it I calibrated it with the surface (a corsair cloth large mat), I tuned the sensitivity plus disabled mouse acceleration and other pointer precision control so software should not be trying to enhance anything, just raw input to mouse to control it. It still felt like it had more input lag that the M40 had with just the basic microsoft mouse driver. So because of all these issues I have uninstalled Cue completely from that PC to just run it with my tried and true non-Cue peripherals, an M40 mouse and older K70 red led for a few days. I just want to establish a working baseline before I get more into this. If things are still solid after a bit I will try adding the K70 lux and M65 again with Cue and run those tests and just test for general stability.

• 2 weeks later...
I am also experiencing this same type of issue with Rainbow Six Siege. I do not have any USB devices plugged in except a sound amp and a mouse. Switching the keyboard to BIOS also corrects the issue. I am not using any profiles for the keyboard except to set a rainbow wave lighting effect. I've uninstalled CUE which corrected the issue, but reinstalling it immediately brought back the problem.

• 8 months later...

I was just searching for R6 Siege lighting profiles because I purchased the K70 LUX a few days ago. I play that game religiously. My Logitech G910 keys are trash so I wanted to switch to Corsair and I can't believe this problem I am reading about.

There must have been a fix by now. Right? I can't switch from a crappy keyboard to such a fancy, high expensive one only to have this problem.

I do know that they have been investigating and working on this; I cannot say when there will be a fix available.

That is complete bs. How can a high end, gaming keyboard conflict with games and even Steam on a PC? Literally none of that makes any sense whatsoever.

I do know that they have been investigating and working on this; I cannot say when there will be a fix available.

And are they working on the caps lock and num lock lights freezing? Along with packet drops so the lights flicker? Upsetting how a high end keyboard has stupid issues like this.

same issue here with a k55 and steam games.

World of final fantasy takes 3 minutes to start with corsaire CUE running

it start instantly with CUE totally closed

i was planning on buying a k70 lux RGB , but this experience really slowed me down ...:(:

same issue here with a k55 and steam games.

World of final fantasy takes 3 minutes to start with corsaire CUE running

it start instantly with CUE totally closed

i was planning on buying a k70 lux RGB , but this experience really slowed me down ...:(:

Same happen to me. My k55 freeze game start and num/caps lock leds freeze. Full ps.

I fixed problem 😀 I buy logitech g413 keyboard.

Games start fast. No problem anymore.

Now i have to return that k55 to shop.

I don't Never ever buy corsair any more.

I am sorry for corsair if I pissed off. But Everyone have to now, there IS PROBLEMS.

ok , things have advanced a bit here

i got ride of the issue just by switching my keyboard from my usb 3 port to a usb 2 port :/

sometimes more is not better i guess

i was able to experience the thing with a k70 too and the solution was the same

it seems the corsaire devices does not like being plugged elsewhere than on some usb 2 port

i hope this will help some other people :biggrin:

ok , things have advanced a bit here

i got ride of the issue just by switching my keyboard from my usb 3 port to a usb 2 port :/

sometimes more is not better i guess

i was able to experience the thing with a k70 too and the solution was the same

it seems the corsaire devices does not like being plugged elsewhere than on some usb 2 port

i hope this will help some other people :biggrin:

All of my motherboard's ports are 3.0 or 3.1 unfortunately :(

It is unfortunate Corsair is taking so long to fix this issue. I bought the K63 Wireless for my living room in early February, but it's unfortunately nothing more than a massive paper weight at this point. I may just switch to Logitech at this point since it seems like Corsair is just playing the blame game on Steam.

Well I got my K70 LUX RGB last week. Thankfully I have no issues. Using the early access CUE beta software. I have Steam running almost constantly along with UPlay.

I also use a PS3 Controller via BT that is always active with some software my brother installed that runs as a service with each startup.

Multiple User Accounts are logged in for 2 to 3 people at a time. We all have different lighting profiles for the keyboard along with game specific profiles that all work as they should.

I have always had some USB changes made in my BIOS, since USB 3 wouldn't benefit me. Maybe others can try it.

I have an ASUS Maximux VI Formula (Intel Z87):

Legacy USB Support - ENABLED

Intel xHCI Mode - DISABLED

EHCI Hand-off - DISABLED

I hope everything continues to run well for me.

• 4 months later...

Archived