Corsair Community

CUE 16.8M Color Statement

• Corsair Employee

Thank you for your patience. In this latest update, we are pleased to announce a new mode for our RGB Keyboards that allows you to access 16.8 million colors for your background and foreground lighting. The new mode improves the transition in animated color gradient effects as used in the popular Mega Rainbow and Spiral Rainbow profiles. This feature is available in the new CUE 1.5.108 and firmware 1.20 and can be downloaded at http://www.corsair.com/en-us/support/downloads. This mode is enabled by checking “Enable 16.8m color mode” in the CUE “Settings” tab.

attachment.php?attachmentid=21541&stc=1&d=1429906510

Each of us see colors differently so you may or may not perceive a huge difference with 16.8 million color mode enabled. Visit our forums, load up a few profiles and see for yourself. Hopefully you like what you see. Similarly, some users may notice flicker in some combination of effects. While reducing flicker is possible, this would have impacted the keyboard response time. Performance is top priority at Corsair and we made the decision to keep the advance lighting options available despite some side effects. We hope you agree and if you find the flicker objectionable, you can revert to the original color mode for certain lighting profiles.

In addition to the 16.8 million color mode, we have also introduced a new USB protocol for both the software and the firmware. This new protocol will resolve many issues our users have provided feedback about and we are confident that this will drastically increase the overall user experience for those concerned with the performance and functionality aspects of the keyboard. Please check the patch notes for more information as well.

If you have any questions, comments, and/or concerns, please contact us at KBinquiries@corsair.com and we’ll be happy to answer your inquiry.

- Corsair

168mBox.PNG.93da253ff63d2a1f5fbc0f7dd1010558.PNG

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ty, very much appreciated

EDIT: When its in flicker mode does emit a noise like " UNCE UNCE UNCE UNCE UNCE" ?

Nah, it's just a visual flicker.

The first half of this video is with the 16.8m mode off, while the second half is with the mode on. Simpler profiles probably won't have this severe of a flickering problem.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Coaehz9a2DE[/ame]

Well, congratulations on getting it fixed, I honestly had serious doubts it was possible.

The flickering, although quite minor, shows that some sort of trickery had to be done to achive this, though, and I'm a bit concerned that it might have an effect on the longevity of the components.

But I'm very impressed overall, looks so much better than before. I take that little flicker over the constant steps every day of the week.

• Corsair Employee
Well, congratulations on getting it fixed, I honestly had serious doubts it was possible.

The flickering, although quite minor, shows that some sort of trickery had to be done to achive this, though, and I'm a bit concerned that it might have an effect on the longevity of the components.

But I'm very impressed overall, looks so much better than before. I take that little flicker over the constant steps every day of the week.

This doesn't impact the hardware. What we ended up doing, and why it took so long as well as resolve two birds with one stone with light freezing, was the development and implementation of a entirely new USB protocol. This is why the new firmware won't work with older software and why it's proving to be much more stable than previous iterations. The beta team was a big help in testing this too.

I wouldn't have an issue, but the flickering happens to every key with solid color even with one key assigned to a simple gradient from blue to off. This is very distracting and is causing eye strain while working at my pc. I love the build of the keyboard, but the 16.8m colors setting is useless for me due to the flickering it causes on all of the other keys.

While I'm glad that Corsair is finally delivering on the 16.8 million color claim on the box, I can't help but feel disappointed with the way the fix was implemented. While the 16.8m mode makes color pulsing and shifts look much better than before, the flickering is so bad that on my rainbow profile, it actually looks smoother with 16.8m mode disabled compared with it on. That's pretty disappointing considering how Corsair was saying that "oh, our hardware is actually more powerful than what the forum posters are saying". It's been almost 7 months since the K-series RGBs were released, and Corsair's RGB solution is still lagging behind the competitors in the software department.

Does Corsair have any plans to make a v2 of the K-series RGB keyboards that addresses issues such as the underpowered controller, the new logo, and the dimmer LEDs compared to the other RGB keyboards? At the very least, is there an ETA on when Corsair is going to release an SDK for the RGB products? Both Logitech and Razer have already released their SDKs for their respective keyboards, and already we're seeing them being used in games such as GTA V.

While I'm glad that Corsair is finally delivering on the 16.8 million color claim on the box, I can't help but feel disappointed with the way the fix was implemented. While the 16.8m mode makes color pulsing and shifts look much better than before, the flickering is so bad that on my rainbow profile, it actually looks smoother with 16.8m mode disabled compared with it on. That's pretty disappointing considering how Corsair was saying that "oh, our hardware is actually more powerful than what the forum posters are saying". It's been almost 7 months since the K-series RGBs were released, and Corsair's RGB solution is still lagging behind the competitors in the software department.

Does Corsair have any plans to make a v2 of the K-series RGB keyboards that addresses issues such as the underpowered controller, the new logo, and the dimmer LEDs compared to the other RGB keyboards? At the very least, is there an ETA on when Corsair is going to release an SDK for the RGB products? Both Logitech and Razer have already released their SDKs for their respective keyboards, and already we're seeing them being used in games such as GTA V.

The next major update will bring LUA and the sdk.

The flickering is actually pretty bad.. I've got single key touch lighting, blue fade to black (foreground) with a solid orange background. Pressing a single key makes all the other solid background colours go crazy, flickering between a darker orange and a lighter orange.

What makes this keyboard so much different, so much harder to fix than the competitors boards?

Thus ends the most shameful period in Corsair's history.

The difference in colour gradients for 512 compared to 16.8m is night and day. Certainly makes the apologisers who insisted it was a minor limitation look a bit foolish.

Archived