Corsair Community

CX850M unexpectedly LOUD fan noise

vici12

Two days ago I purchased a CX850M for my build, as i needed at least a semi-modular PSU which has long cables, especially for the 8-pin CPU cable. The PSU performs flawlessly and it's completely silent under small loads.

The issue appears when i try playing a game in 4K, or at over 70FPS in 1080p / 2K. I don't know what speed the fan starts spinning at, but it's very loud, unlike anything else in the system and it is definitely not the coil noise type of sound.

I have already eliminated the possibility of the sound coming from the cpu cooler, or the gpu one, by setting them both to 100% and i'm not using any case fans.

What can i do? :D Thank you!

• Corsair Employee
I know this might sound silly, but is the PSU mounted correctly in your case? It sounds like it's overcompensating for heat buildup. The reason I ask is because I recently saw a video of a 280X PC build where the PSU was mounted backward, so the fan was facing the rear of the motherboard tray.

Yea, it is mounted correctly. I'm thinking about RMA'ing it, could you please recommend me a Corsair PSU that's known to be silent and has the 8-pin CPU cable at least as long as this one?

Doesn't matter if it's more expensive :D Thank you!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived