Corsair Community

Asus P5E-VM HDMI and CM2X2048-6400C5 DDR2

TheHead

I am experiencing some stability issues with my RAM. I have a total of 8Gb of CM2X2048-6400C5 DDR2 installed on my ASUS P5E-VM HDMI motherboard. I run the latest BIOS v0506.

When i built my system, i tried to boot up with all settings in BIOS to auto, resulting in a bluescreen right before the installation GUI of Vista64. Error message "Unknown hardware error".

I suspected that the memory was causing this, so after browsing this forum i found some settings that made me able to install and run Vista. The problem is that my motherboard reports high temperatures (up to 58C) and my CPU also runs hot (up to 70C).

In addition, Sisoft Sandra reports that "Memory bus speeds exceeds Chipset rated speed. Reduce FSB/Memory multiplier".

I have done the following tweaks in BIOS:

AI Overclocking - Manual

FSB Strap to North Bridge - 266MHz (default 333Mhz)

FSB Frequenzy - 266

PCIe Freqienzy - 100

DRAM Frequenzy - DDR2 667Mhz

DRAM Timing - 5-5-5-15, rest of the timings on Auto

CPU Voltage damper - Auto

DRAM Voltage - 2

DRAM North Bridge Voltage - 1,39

I have not succeeded on running the system with just two modules either with all settings on Auto. It seems like i cannot run this RAM without overclocking the system.

I am not actually interested in overclocking this system, since it is a HTPC and I want quiet operation and use the ASUS powersave options to speed things down when possible.

Are my modules compatible with this motherboard without overclocking or tweaking the voltage? What will the recommended settings be if I only use two modules?

(sorry for the long post, but this have been bugging me for over a week...)

• Corsair Employee
That is too hot for that CPU I would recheck the CPU fan and make sure it is snapped in properly as it could cause that problem. And that MB should not have any problems running DDR800 memory as long as you have a 1066 FSB CPU. And an E8400 CPU should be running at 333 Mhz 1333FSB not 1066FSB. Check the BIOS version supports that CPU and the CPU Support list on ASUS support site.

Thank you for the fast reply.

I have already checked the fan, replaced the cooling paste and remounted it. It is mounted properly.

What would be the recommended BIOS settings for this RAM (8Gb)? Will i need to adjust any settings or just leave everything to auto?

Sorry for sounding unexperienced (because I am), but will NB/MCH be the same as "DRAM North Bridge Voltage" in my BIOS?

I had to increase this by +0.15 to make my system boot and install...

Edit: By only increasing by +0.05V, i get artifacts...

• Corsair Employee

Is it the CPU or the MB Temp that is that high?

I would get that resolved before you do anything else 70 Deg C is way to hot.

That is too hot for that CPU I would recheck the CPU fan and make sure it is snapped in properly as it could cause that problem. And that MB should not have any problems running DDR800 memory as long as you have a 1066 FSB CPU. And an E8400 CPU should be running at 333 Mhz 1333FSB not 1066FSB. Check the BIOS version supports that CPU on the CPU Support list on ASUS support site.[/QUOTE]

On idle (just after boot), the temperatures are MB: 51C, CPU: 59C

And the BIOS supports the CPU since version 0405, i run 0506.. (http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us)

I will try to reattach the cooler, but I have already done this. But, will high CPU temperature also affect my motherboard temperature? Or is my high motherboard temperature a result of the extra volting on the northbridge?

• Corsair Employee
Before you do that to check it is installed properly with the power off try and pull up on the corner of the CPU and if it moves on one corner it is loose and maybe what is causing the problems. And for the record I have had problems with the CPU Fan design and I know it is a PITA but its worth checking since the CPU temp was so high. Other wise I would get the MB replaced or test the CPU on another MB.

Okay... I have now taken off the CPU cooler, replaced the thermal paste with brand new high quality paste and reattached it.

My idle temperatures are now 57C on the CPU and 47C on the motherboard... in other words, no difference...

One other thing I havent mentioned before, its that my screen flickers as well.. I am running onboard graphics (X3500), and my guess is that the northbridge and the GPU doesnt react very well to my volting??

Asus support said this:

The 0506 is the newest BIOS available. The temperatures you're describing shouldn't be a problem if the system is stable. Your problems with the RAM is probably caused by the memory controller having a hard time running 8GB of RAM. Usually, running 4 modules requires you to run 667MHz, that is fully normal due to chipset limitations. The performance hit is minimal though, so you shouldn't worry.

Besides, if you remove two of the modules, running only 4096MB, it should run smoothly at 800MHz, as the underclocking to 667MHz becomes necessary only when using four memory modules.

If I were to only try with two modules, do I need to do any changes in the BIOS at all? Should I be able to install/boot windows with all OC settings on "auto"?

• Corsair Employee

I stated that a long time ago in this thread. Did you not set the memory to what we suggested?

Oh I did not realize you had 4 modules, so that is correct DDR667 at Cas 5-5-5-15 2.0 Volts and set the NB/MCH Voltage to +.05 Volts.

Yes, I did see what you suggested that i do with a total of four modules, and it did work but gave me a temperature problem.

But my question was:

If I were to only try with two modules, do I need to do any changes in the BIOS at all? Should I be able to install/boot windows with all OC settings on "auto"?

I want to check if i can run my system stable on just two modules, and i would very much appreciate if you can verify what settings i need to use. If i basically do not need to do any adjustment in bios, and run everything on default, and my system doesnt run --> i have a MB problem.. and i will get it replaced.

• Corsair Employee
With just one set of modules just use the tested settings for the modules you have and the timings are on the side of the modules. Cas 5-5-5-18 at 1.8 Volts o Cas 5-5-5-12 at 1.9 Volts 2T Command Rate.

Archived