Corsair Community

Asus P5E3 and 2x 2GB Corsair memory; can't use normal speed

wiim

I've completed the following system. When I put everything auto in Bios, I won't get a post (no beeps/image whatsoever). Then when I reboot I get the Asus overclock safety so I can adjust the settings.

When I set my FSB to 333mhz and my DRAM clock to PC1333, pc still won't boot, even though those are the normal settings!

A while back it would boot with the rams at 1066 BUT with system hangs after a short while... now it won't even do that, I have to drop it to 887Mhz to even be able to boot..

Can anyone help me through some kind of troubleshooting?

thx in advance

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gonna try removing a stick in the morning (bit of a cluttered desk here and bad lights in my room :p).

Don't have another CPU handy. The motherboard did not support the E8400 out of the box. I had those same symptoms. We then fitted an older CPU (which I don't have anymore) and it worked, so we figured the BIOS needed an update. That's what we did so now I'm using 0808 bios version, which should be the latest.

After updating the bios we still hadd some trouble which I then read somewhere might be because the motherboard has difficulties with autodetection. So then we entered 333 and either DDR1333 or DDR1066, honestly can't remember, and off we were...

So, can't really say if it works with another CPU :(. But the BIOS I'm using is the 0808

So what exactly do you mean? :)

update:

Tried with one bar, no change

Did a Memtest at 870 Mhz, no errors

It seems there was a new BIOS version release only hours after I got that 0808 version. I got the 0904 now and I'm now ALWAYS getting through the POST. Problem is Windows still hangs when I go higher than 1066MHZ DRAM clock, while my RAM should support 1333. Windows hangs either at loading (the loading bar) or right after loading.

So I'd still like to find a way to run my rams in 1333.

I'm not really sure the CAS latencies are configured correctly when the auto function is on?

Thanks for your time guys..

Enter your BIOS, load setup defaults, save setup defaults and set to these values. Be CERTAIN to load and save setup defaults.

Download memtest from--->
and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Ai Overclock Tuner = Manual

CPU Ratio Control = Manual

CPU Ratio Setting = 9

FSB Strap to North Bridge = 333

FSB Frequency = 333

PCIE Frequency = 100

DRAM Frequency = DDR-1333

DRAM Command Rate = 2T

DRAM Timing Control = Manual

CAS# Latency = 9

RAS# to CAS# Delay = 9

RAS# PRE Time = 9

RAS# ACT Time = 24

Set All Other Timings to Auto

DRAM Static Read Control = Auto

DRAM Dynamic Write Control = Auto

Ai Clock Twister = Auto

Ai Clock Skew for Channel A = Auto

Ai Clock Skew for Channel B = Auto

Ai Transaction Booster = Auto

CPU Voltage = Auto

CPU PLL Voltage = 1.6

FSB Termination Voltage = 1.34

DRAM Voltage = 1.80

NB Voltage = 1.41

SB Voltage = Auto

Clock Over-Charging Voltage = Auto

Load-Line Calibration = Enabled

CPU GTL Voltage Reference = Auto

NB GTL Voltage Reference = Auto

CPU Spread Spectrum = Disabled

PCIE Spread Spectrum = Disabled

Boot to the Memtest CD allowing for two full passes.

Results?

Woah, didn't even know you could scroll down for those extra settings.

Okay, so I loaded the defaults, saved them, re-entered the bios and put in everything above. Booted from the memtest cd and let it run 2 passes. I had 0 errors.

I couldn't choose 2T at the DRAM Command Rate, only 1N and 2N .. so I'm guessing 2N was the way to go. I can also see with CPU-Z that it's at 2T now so it must be right.

I'm right now running with these settings. So presumably those settings fixed the problem as Vista no longer hangs on boot.

2 questions remain

1.) Is this a safe setup? The FSB term voltage and DRAM voltage turned yellow in the BIOS when I got to those values. Are they not going to affect the longelivity of the system? I'm only running on a boxed cooler (though I've got enough case cooling that I can turn op a notch if neccesary).

2.) What exactly fixed the problem now. Would like to know how you knew these settings might work.

Thanks a lot again!

update: I've been gaming up until now and normally I would have gotten a hang already, none of em yet. You really seem to have fixed it!

A Million Thanks!

meh .. 2 Crysis crashes (the kind that you have to press the reset button) and after reboot another windows freeze .. reverted back to 1066mhz for the time being..

edit: Just hung with that 1066Mhz as well when starting Crysis. Gonna try the above settings again and let HeavyLoad run all night. If it doesn't hang it's either a probablem with both the games I'm currently playing (Test drive unlimited & crysis) or it's just x64 that's crap...

After I made my previous post I was back to not being able to get into Vista with anything higher than 887 Mhz. It was and still is always hanging between 1 and 10 seconds after (automatically) logging in.

Anyway, tried lowering the DRAM voltage as you said. Again 2 passes and no errors but I as said, I can't get into Vista with any DRAM clock higher than 887Mhz, regardless of other settings.

I also reinstalled my vista so it shouldn't be a windows problem.

I'm clueless

edit: almost forgot, the only error in event log was one saying the event log was corrupted because of improper shutdown

edit2: now I'm suddenly back logged in @1.80V with no immediate problems. Gonna try and see how long the 1.70V setting holds out...

edit3: not long .. 1.70V hangs after a few seconds and 1.80 seems to work (switched back and forth a few times between the two with the same result every time).

Sorry for the very changing results .. thanks for your patience with this...

I was running @ your settings with the 1.80V. Everything seemed to work but than I had some hangs. So I went back to underclocking. Have tried this a few times more and those settings with 1.80V boot and work for a little while but eventually hang the system.

Than I tried your second list of settings, with 1.70V. Those don't work in windows (instant crash after booting) but give 2 passes with memtest, with no errors as well.

I'm currently running at 266MHZ with DDR887 and no hangs up until this point. So it has to be related somehow. I'll try raising FSB tomorrow after some more gaming to confirm if it's the RAM or CPU that makes the system instable...

If you need more info, please do.

• Corsair Employee
Please make sure that you have the latest Bios version and then load setup/optimized defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 1.7 volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Please make sure that you have the latest Bios version and then load setup/optimized defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 1.7 volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Already had no errors with 2 bars so I don't see how I'm gonna get errors with 1 bar?

Already had no errors with 2 bars so I don't see how I'm gonna get errors with 1 bar?

What RAM GUY means is that you need to test both sticks individually with the settings he has mentioned. Set to 333 FSB and 1333 DRAM with 1.7v. Please follow this advice.

Results?

"1.7 volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte)"

what does this mean? +0.2 volts w/giga-byte ? For giga-byte motherboards? Or add .2 volts per gigabyte ram?

Gonna try that out soon; thx

Gigabyte goes beyond normal settings conventions and muddies the waters by making far different settings.

So, for most systems, set the DRAM Voltage Setting to 1.7v

For Gigabyte motheroboards set the DRAM Voltage Setting to +.2V

Both give you 1.7V.

But, it doesn't matter for your ASUS board. Set the DRAM Voltage to 1.7V for your board.

Ai Overclock Tuner = Manual

CPU Ratio Control = Manual

CPU Ratio Setting = 9

FSB Strap to North Bridge = 333

FSB Frequency = 333

PCIE Frequency = 100

DRAM Frequency = DDR-1333

DRAM Command Rate = 2N

DRAM Timing Control = Manual

CAS# Latency = 9

RAS# to CAS# Delay = 9

RAS# PRE Time = 9

RAS# ACT Time = 24

Set All Other Timings to Auto

DRAM Static Read Control = Auto

DRAM Dynamic Write Control = Auto

Ai Clock Twister = Auto

Ai Clock Skew for Channel A = Auto

Ai Clock Skew for Channel B = Auto

Ai Transaction Booster = Auto

CPU Voltage = Auto

CPU PLL Voltage = 1.6

FSB Termination Voltage = 1.34

DRAM Voltage = 1.70

NB Voltage = 1.41

SB Voltage = Auto

Clock Over-Charging Voltage = Auto

Load-Line Calibration = Enabled

CPU GTL Voltage Reference = Auto

NB GTL Voltage Reference = Auto

CPU Spread Spectrum = Disabled

PCIE Spread Spectrum = Disabled

These are the settings I used. Put one bar in the 2nd slot (as suggested in the motherboard manual) and booted with the memtest cd.

I then went for a swim.

When I got back the memtest was standing at 66% total and 29% of the random numbers sequence test in the 3rd pass. It was completely unresponsive and it should already have been at about the 4th pass for the time I was away.

There were no errors reported but the computer had hung.

So it seems the same problem occurs, there are no real RAM errors but the computer hangs when the DRAM clock goes up...

Thanks for your reply

So it seems the same problem occurs, there are no real RAM errors but the computer hangs when the DRAM clock goes up.

I would look towards RMA of the motherboard. Be sure to document the board's serial number to ensure that you are not given the same one back in return.

Archived