Corsair Community

Different LOT#s How do I have to make settings?

chip273

Hello,

I had got an Asus A8N SLI deluxe board with one valueselect 1 GB DDR kit (VS1GBKIT400 , LOT#0452043-0 to be exact). I have later bought another kit (VS1GBKIT400 , LOT#0451023-0) and installed that kit into my PC. So now all 4 Banks are filled with rams. Since then the memory runs at DDR333 speed, not 400 anymore. When I make manual settings It refuses to boot windows(blank screen only).

Any clue what settings/BIOS/drivers/firmware I can change to correct that setting ?

Would corsair replace one of the kits, or both, to make the whole system compatible to each other ?

These 2 part#'s and lots are the same part so they should run with out problems, but with this MB by default the MB will run at DDR333 when you have more than 2 modules installed.

The point is that It does not run without problems although manual of board and compatibility page of ram told so.

I told the Mainboard to run with DDR400 2,5-3-3-8-1 but then the PC refused to boot. Then I adjusted manual settings to DDR400 CL 2,5 and the rest to auto, in that case it did run, but I would have liked that It reads out all settings from SPD and not have to manually adjust them. Also I doubt that the "Auto" settings are the ones the manufacturer did prefer. Most probably the Ram runs slower than intended. So I actually do not want to run them on the auto setting.

I also am not sure what to set by hand, after all I have 10 different settings for ram in my BIOS. Like "MemClock" (DDR200-DDR600), "CAS# latency" (2,0-3,0) or even things I have never heard of before like "Write Recovery Time" (2-3) or "Read-To-Write Delay" (1-6).

Please give me a detailed list of which I have to set to what. :confused:

I would suggest testing them one set at a time with http://www.memtest.org to be sure one is not failing.

Already tested with memtest. Runs fine. But I once had an asus board with nforce 2 chipset that run well with defective ram too (only 2 bits failed). So I guess this prooves nothing.

• Corsair Employee

Dim Voltage to +2.7X Volts:

CAS Latency CL=2.5

Row Cycle Time tRC Bios Default

Row Refresh Cyc Time tRFC Bios Default

Ras# to CAS# delay tRCD 3

Row to Row delay Bios Default

Min Ras# Active Time tRAS 8

Row Precharge Time tRP 3

Write Recovery Time Bios Default

Write to Read delay Bios Default

Read to Write Delay Bios Default

Refresh Period tREF Bios Default

Enable 2T Timing Enabled

Then test the system with http://www.memtest.org and make sure it's stable!

Already tested with memtest. Runs fine. But I once had an ASUS board with Nforce-2 chipset that run well with defective ram too (only 2 bits failed). So I guess this proves nothing.

No that’s not quite true: You can sometimes tell by the type of failure that you are getting as to the cause. In other words with out more info about this specific question it would be hard to guess, but my first thought would some type of power issue or anomaly.

In addition since you brought that up, with 4 modules you would need to consider 48 Watts just for memory, so you may need to run a 500-550 Watt PSU or bigger depending on the system configuration. It’s not the total size of the PSU that counts as much as the Max continuous out put of the PSU and as you get close to that the PSU will emit more noise and can cause random memory errors that are not the fault of the memory!

chip273:

I once had an ASUS board with Nforce-2 chipset that run well with defective ram (only 2 bits failed). So I guess this proves nothing.

Ram Guy:

No that’s not quite true: You can sometimes tell by the type of failure that you are getting as to the cause. In other words with out more info about this specific question it would be hard to guess, but my first thought would some type of power issue or anomaly.

A bit backstory:

Well that particular piece of ram really had that 2 bits of error, it was on a Lan party As we tested that module on nearly every PC available (5 or so) each pc showed that error except mine. First I thought it's cool that nforce 2 corrects simple errors in ram; but the down thing was that it still showed all the symptoms of defective ram. After I put back in my original ram the system was completely stable again. It was definitely a defective ram that did not show it's errors with memtest.

Thanks for all the settings, seems like I did a false setting "1T/2T memory timing" now windows is booting. As I do not have any "default" setting I did set those to "auto". Right now I'm running the test.

What I did remark is that here RsvdMem is 257MB. I had values of 100K-300K in mind, I can't remember that I ever have had more.

I will wait till it passes before I post so I can add the result in here. 50% so far, seems ok. 80% is OK. All is OK. The ram tests fine. Seems to be the one error in the setting that I did make.

I got the specifications from http://www.geizhals.at/deutschland/a65715.html. That is a page for price comparisons. Seems not to be the best place for getting my informations.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I had not looked into this forum for a while, sorry. Talking with a friend today, I have found out that there is a way newer version of memtest that also has native support for the nForce4 chipset. I could now really see that there are definitively errors on the memory modules.

I really would like to exchange the modules, I think I won't have any luck with the reseller since I already had problems with them while actually making the purchase. I would like to directly send them to Corsair.

Should I return both dualpacks, or only the dualpack which I think is errorous?

I guess sending both packs back will be better so that you can make any tests that are needed to guarantee that all 4 modules can interoperate without any problems.

Maybe it's already time for quadpacks :roll:

I will wait for reply until I request a RMA#...

Also I need to ask if I can send the RMA package to somewhere in Europe, shipping to USA is really expensive as I did see now.

Archived