Corsair Community

K8N Neo2 Platinum w/TWINX1024-3200XLPT @ 2-2-2-5??

Speedi

I know this has been hashed, but it seemed like each time there was a slightly different solution or I never saw the resolution at all. I have posted this as a reply to a thread that was apparently already dead, so I'll recap in a new thread in hopes that someone else will know what's happening as this is driving me insane!!

As a note, I have finally put my new PC together after a month, so there is no RMAing anything to the places of purchase. (What can I say, things happen? :confused: )

Hardware:

* K8N Neo2 Platinum w/BIOS Rev 1.40

* AMD64 3500+ 90nm

* TWINX1024-3200XLPT (1GB Dual Channel Kit)

* 1x BFG 6800GT OC 256MB AGP

* 2x WD Raptor 74GB SATA Drives

* 2x DVD ROM/Writers

* Thermaltake 400W PS Model XP480 (came in case)

* 1x Floppy

* WinXP Professional SP2

* MS Wireless Mouse USB

* MS PS/2 Keyboard

Problem:

I was using the PC fine with the default memory timings of 2-2-2-5. All seemed normal until I tried to run 3DMark05 against it. The results were a crash of the application. I then noticed that I needed to be running 2.75v instead of the 2.50V, so I changed the setting and it still crashed. I decided to try 3DMark03 since I have it on my old Primary machine. 3DMark03 failed to complete as well.

Now, after a day of screwing with settings in the CMOS, I decided to screw with memory timings. I put the DIMMs in a Single Channel configuration and it worked. Of course, doing this also drops the Memory Bus speed down to 166MHz, so I don't think that really tells me much of anything except that the memory will work when not under real load.

I then put the memory back into the DualChannel configuration where the RAM was in Slots1 and 2. Now, back at 400MHz, I laxed the timing down to 2.5-3-3-6 and 3DMark03 ran fine. I am really puzzled at this point.

I was then reading on this forum and configured the timings to 2-3-2-5-1T. Amazingly enough, I have run 3dMark03 a few times to completion. I have also run 3DMark05 a few times to completion without failures of the executable.

So, right now, I am sitting on 2-3-2-5-1T, which I would be OK with had I not spent $275 to get the fastest RAM for this board as I hope to try my hand at overclocking this system. Right now, I feel that the memory is not performing as specified but would like a little help in determining this before RMAing modules for something more compatible or just replacements. I would anticipate 2-2-2-5-1T stable performance at 2.75V, but have yet to achieve it.

Help would be appreciated.

- Speedi

• Corsair Employee
I would try the modules in slots 3-4 and set the Dim Voltage to 2.8 Volts and see if that helps. But if you still have problems I would suggest testing them one at a time to see if you can identify one of the modules as failing.

I would try the modules in slots 3-4 and set the Dim Voltage to 2.8 Volts and see if that helps.

This did not help. The system just rebooted after 10% into 3dMark05.

But if you still have problems I would suggest testing them one at a time to see if you can identify one of the modules as failing.

Will try this one next.

But if you still have problems I would suggest testing them one at a time to see if you can identify one of the modules as failing.

Follow-up Notes:

* Using 2-2-2-5-1T latency/timing settings at 2.75V on my K8N Neo2 Platinum.

Thanks for this suggestion... I believe I found the module causing the problem using the technique you suggested -- running the modules one at a time, in Single Channel Mode, to see if this narrowed the issue to a particular module.

I tried the first module, no sweat.. I am now running 3dMark05 against it for the 3rd time and it appears to be functioning fine at the specified timing and voltage settings. So, 3 successful runs and 0 crashes running 3dMark05 with the first module.

A little earlier, I tried the "other" module and it crashed 3dMark05 several times a different points and even rebooted the machine once. So, 3 crashes and 0 successful 3dMark05 runs with the second module.

Result:

I suppose this effectively means that one of my modules is faulty. What do I need to do at this point?

Tx.

- Speedi

• Corsair Employee

Let's try replacing your modules!

Please send us a email with a copy of the form or all of your info name address and phone# and the Module part# and copy the link to this post and email it to Warranty@corsairmemory.com. Or you can also use the On Line RMA Request Form as well.

If after 1 day or 24 hours excluding weekends you do not get the rma please email the same to rma@corsairmemory.com and we will help to resolve it.

Let's try replacing your modules!

Please send us a email with a copy of the form or all of your info name address and phone# and the Module part# and copy the link to this post and email it to Warranty@corsairmemory.com. Or you can also use the On Line RMA Request Form as well.

If after 1 day or 24 hours excluding weekends you do not get the rma please email the same to rma@corsairmemory.com and we will help to resolve it.

I submitted it using the online RMA Request Form. So, do I have to return them both, since they are a matched pair, or are they going to send me one stick out?

Thanks!

- Speedi

Yes, you should send the pair. Sorry! So submit the RMA for 1 Twinx rather than 2 single CMX modules.

OK, I had them cross-ship me some new module (next day!) and they are working fine at 2-2-2-5-1T, which is great! I have run 3DMark05 several times and it passed each time. I went ahead and sent the other modules back yesterday. Bravo to Corsair for sending these good sticks out in such short time to keep me running.

Tx.

- Speedi

I spoke too soon, although this is MUCH better... and I do believe I had a bad module before. While I was able to run 3DMark05 several times in stock mode without it crashing, my machine would "freeze" every-so-often and I'd have to perform a hard-reset on it. Very annoying.

Since this was the case, I went ahead and ran Prime95 against it, stock SPD settings using the TWINX1024-3200XLPT 2-2-2-5 RAM. The test would fail pretty quickly claiming a hardware failure. I then went back and tried 2-3-2-5-1T and it had been running Prime95 for about 10 HRS with no problems.

So, with this in mind, has ANYONE been able to get this memory to run 2-2-2-5-1T in their K8N Neo2 board?

Also, I am running this stuff at 2-2-2-5-1T, should it be 2T? Does the tRCD affect performance if I were to bump it up to 2-3-2-5-1T? I'm still confused why this RAM will not work at 2-2-2-5. Ideas? Suggestions? Should I increase the voltage to 2.8v and try to run Prime95 using 2-2-2-5, again?

Tx.

- Speedi

Speedi

just wanted to say thanks, for being so detailed and clear in your questions and responses, it really helps those of us trying to assist others, when they clearly state their problem, and methods they've already tried..

I also appreciate you keeping us abreast of the progress, that way anyone experiencing the same problems as you, down the road, will have this thread for refrence

Speedi

just wanted to say thanks, for being so detailed and clear in your questions and responses, it really helps those of us trying to assist others, when they clearly state their problem, and methods they've already tried..

I also appreciate you keeping us abreast of the progress, that way anyone experiencing the same problems as you, down the road, will have this thread for refrence

No problem! I just want to get my system stable and working using the defaults and SPD settings for this premium RAM. :[pouts:

I spoke too soon, although this is MUCH better... and I do believe I had a bad module before. While I was able to run 3DMark05 several times in stock mode without it crashing, my machine would "freeze" every-so-often and I'd have to perform a hard-reset on it. Very annoying.

Since this was the case, I went ahead and ran Prime95 against it, stock SPD settings using the TWINX1024-3200XLPT 2-2-2-5 RAM. The test would fail pretty quickly claiming a hardware failure. I then went back and tried 2-3-2-5-1T and it had been running Prime95 for about 10 HRS with no problems.

So, with this in mind, has ANYONE been able to get this memory to run 2-2-2-5-1T in their K8N Neo2 board?

Also, I am running this stuff at 2-2-2-5-1T, should it be 2T? Does the tRCD affect performance if I were to bump it up to 2-3-2-5-1T? I'm still confused why this RAM will not work at 2-2-2-5. Ideas? Suggestions? Should I increase the voltage to 2.8v and try to run Prime95 using 2-2-2-5, again?

Tx.

- Speedi

Update:

* After scouring the net, I have found some new settings in the CMOS that may be freaking out the system - NV/ATI Speed Up to be more precise. When in the Core Cell menu in the CMOS, press SHIFT-F2 then press ALT-F3 to reveal a few more settings; DRAM Drive Strength and NV/ATI Speed Up.

The relevance to this is that my video card is already overclocked, from the manufacturer, so the MSI board may be trying to overclock the BFG card as well, causing system instability. I increased the voltage from 1.5v to 1.55v to AGP and hopefully this might cure my little problem.

I have run 3DMark05 a few times to success and am now running Prime95 overnight to see if I get any "hardware failure" errors. I have, however seen a ERROR: ROUND OFF [0.5] > 0.40 error, which could signal suspect hardware according to Prime95 forums.

I'll let everyone know how it goes tomorrow.

Tx.

- Speedi

• 2 weeks later...
How'd it go?

I have run memtest86 for 36 hours and have 5 failures. For now, I am concluding that the power source COULD be the problem. I am, however, nervous that the errors have occured in both the <= 512MB range and > 512MB range, meaning that my memory is suspect, again. I have to admit, previously, when I ran memtest86, I would get NO ERRORS while I would still get errors in Prime95 and SuperPI. Now, I am getting errors in all programs, inclusive of 3DMark05.

I am working under the assumption that 1 of these 3 items is bad:

1. Power Supply Unit (to be replace on Monday)

2. Memory

3. System Board

If I replace the PSU on Monday and see no relief, I a want to trade the memory with Corsair to get something like the TWINX1024-3200XL PRO, paying the difference, of course. I have seen this configuration "tested" in reviews to certainly be working. I am just not convinced the TWINX1024-3200XLPT is the right memory for this board, regardless of the recommendations of the Corsair site. But again, this is speculation to be saved AFTER the Power Supply replacement.

If I replace the memory and the PSU and am still experiencing instability running at "normal" operating modes of standard timings, with no component being overclocked, I am replacing the system board.

If these steps do not address my stability issue, then I'm perplexed. It would be VERY different, IMO, if I had more than "1" card installed on this system board, but the only card I have installed is the AGP card. It is rediculous not to be able to stabilize a configuration that is so elementary.

Any other ideas/suggestions would certainly be appreciated.

- Speedi :eek:

If I replace the PSU on Monday and see no relief, I a want to trade the memory with Corsair to get something like the TWINX1024-3200XL PRO, paying the difference, of course. I have seen this configuration "tested" in reviews to certainly be working. I am just not convinced the TWINX1024-3200XLPT is the right memory for this board, regardless of the recommendations of the Corsair site. But again, this is speculation to be saved AFTER the Power Supply replacement.

Problem with that. 3200XL, 3200XLPT, and 3200XLPRO are all the same memory, no differences at all aside from the obvious ones. Also, Corsair doesn't sell to end users, and as such doesn't have the back end to do upgrades. Your RMA was already approved, so at least if it comes down to that it'll be quick.

Problem with that. 3200XL, 3200XLPT, and 3200XLPRO are all the same memory, no differences at all aside from the obvious ones. Also, Corsair doesn't sell to end users, and as such doesn't have the back end to do upgrades. Your RMA was already approved, so at least if it comes down to that it'll be quick.

Well, they didn't have any problem charging my credit card for a cross-ship. :D: So I don't see why they can't just charge me an extra $20 for the PROs, if it would make any difference. If, as you say, the memory is precisely the same, then you're right, there is no reason to pay more money for just nice LEDs on the tops. :laughing:

- Speedi

• Corsair Employee
You would need to talk to Customer service about that. However, we do not sell direct and creating a sales invoice will not be easy for us to do! However, with what you have posted I would suspect some other issue.

You would need to talk to Customer service about that. However, we do not sell direct and creating a sales invoice will not be easy for us to do! However, with what you have posted I would suspect some other issue.

Understood.

As an update, I have put in my new PSU, the OCZ PowerStream 520W. Here is what I have done so far to test the 2-2-2-5-1T latency settings of the Corsair Memory:

1. Ran Prime95 for 21 Hours without error.

2. Ran SuperPI 1MB and 2MB calculations without error.

3. Ran 3DMark05 three times without error.

4. Shutdown/Restart once without the CheckDisk starting on WindowsStart.

What I have not done, yet, is run MemTest86 on this configuration. Once I do that, I'll be much happier that the system is finally stable/reliable.

I have been really troubled with #4 during my testing period, but since I have installed the new PSU with the BIOS settings, I have not had an issue as of yet. I will keep an eye on this aspect as it does not happen every time. Does anyone have ideas on what this could be, as well?

- Speedi

• 5 weeks later...
Hi I am so new at this and don't even know how to change the configs manually I am getting crashes too when in dual channel mode, can you please tell me what settings I need to change and using what ultilities as the timinings are very confusing. Thanks very much.

• Corsair Employee
Can you tell me our modules part# and the make and model of MB you have along with the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

Oh nvm read it here http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews/review_print.php?dXJsX3Jldmlld19JRD03ODU= default timings of 2-2-2-5 (CAS-tRCD-tRP-TRAS, respectively). I have tried it with these settings and things are fine. For reference i am using the N8V nforce 4 MSI board with an AMD 3500+ CPU. What is strange is that the chips are suppose to be plug and play and auto detects but did not work as planned.

Archived