Corsair Community

Corsair X256 keeps corrupting windows 7 ultimate 64 bit installation

Nico_P

Hi

Last week I bought a Corsair CMFSSD-256D1 but whenever I installed Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit the installation corrupts after some hours of usage.

My Win7 installation worked flawlessly wednesday evening with everything going alot faster then my old 7200 rpm disk but then thursday morning my computer was not able to find the SSD any longer and giving me an error could not read from hdd0 error. I powered down the computer after the error and were off to work.

In the evening I powered on the computer again and now it could atleast locate my disk, but the win 7 installation had corrupted and the system restore could not get it up running, so reinstalled win7 again.

Again the installation worked fine for some hours, but after a reboot some hours later the installation had corrupted again, and had to reinstall win7 again.

Saturday I managed to secure erase the disk in Parted Magic. I also checked the SMART state from my other computer with Crystaldisk Info and the disk seemed to be in a good state.

The firmware is version 2.1 so updating the firmware was not an option either. Late saturday I reinstalled win 7 again but with same results this morning.

I ran a memtest during the night and after 4 passes throu the night there was no errors found.

The computer is a Lenovo W500 with a Intel Core2 CPU and 4 GB DDR3 memory.

During all of my win 7 installations I checked the command "fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify" to see if TRIM was enabled and everytime the result was 0 (Enabled)

Also tried with and without the win 7 tweaks from http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=82516 with the same results - a corrupt windows 7 installation.

Before I installed the SSD there was no errors with my SATA 7200 RPM disk and the windows installations have all been fully updated with latest drivers from lenovo and all windows updates.

To me it seems the SSD needs to be RMAed, but is there any possibilities I have not tried during my error searching?

Greetings from

Nicolai Pedersen

Denmark

New update:

Yesterday I felt like trying once more to reinstall Win7 but this time not to create the 100 mb hidden partition for recovery. In the morning today I was able to start Win 7, but while away from my computer for som minutes, it rebooted and was stuck at the "ERROR 210: HDD0 (Hard disk drive) Initialization error (1) Press <ESC> to continue" screen. (the same error I got the first day after a reboot I described in the first post)

Again it smells like the SSD is doing something wrong. Any suggestions? else I'll RMA it soon.

The Error 2100 is a known problem with the X Series & the W Series Thinkpads (I have the W510). Forget the X Series and get a P Series if you want to save yourself the hassle.
Known problem? Got supportive evidence? All I've seen here is one thread by you. Having said that, it's always been recommended as you noted to use the Performance series on OEM systems.

• 1 month later...

About a week ago I got a refurbished X256 back from Corsair from the Netherlands and was exited to start using my new drive now.

The first I did was a secure erase to make sure everything was as it should be, after that I checked the firmware (just to be sure it was on firmware 2.0, which it ofc was) and then startet installing my Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit installation again.

The installation seemed to go good, but first I noticed the installation stalled at some point. I felt like blaming the Microsoft Genuine DVD media and happily restartet the installation.

The next installation went fine and windows got installed as it was supposed to.

I tried to fully update with drivers from Lenovo and all hot fixes from Microsoft, still going it seemed. Tried to fire up one of my games I knew used alot of disc activity, and it loaded fine, but after some time the Drive seemed to stall and had to shutdown the computer from the Power button to get it up again.

Well I blamed the windows installation and tried the same again, fully upgraded etc, but it stalled again after some game time!

Took my Windows 7 Professional 32 bit installation media from my desktop computer and tried to install that... with same results, random stall after some time in windows / games.

It seemed to get worse and worse with the freeze/stalling so did alot of googling. Could see there were some SSD bugs in Windows 7 (eg freeze after having used sleep function) and most of these should have been ellimited with Windows 7 SP1 RC1, so gave that a shot. It took me 2 Windows reinstallations and 3-4 freezes to get this patch properly installed.

Last weekend I tried to do alot of bug tracing, with installating 1 driver pack at a time - reboot - test in heavy drive activity program for freezes, and managed to get most installed but at some random point after some time the computer would still freeze.

Yesterday morning when I then tried to boot the computer again, I got the same 2100 error again.... I said to myself, this can't be happening... but it did, and now the drive is COMPLETELY dead again. This time I cant even get any data out by inserting the drive in an external USB box.

I tried to use the same Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit media to reinstall my old 7200 rpm HDD from my Lenovo machine, and it installed just fine. Even did the SP1 RC1 update with no errors or freezes at all.

There might be something about what davidvf said, atleast the drive is completely dead for me again.

I ofc checked to see if I had the latest BIOS update, made sure every possible drivers were latest from Lenovo/Intel/AMD(ATI) still didn't help at all.

seeing the drive is dead for me again within those 90 days I hope it is possible for me to send this drive back to you in the Netherlands and get you to pay the postal and packaging, also I would like to know if it would be possible to exchange my X drive for a P drive?

Sorry to keep you busy on these forums, but its a shame such an expensive and nice drive just won't work with my Lenovo W500 laptop.

Greetings from

Nicolai Pedersen

Denmark

The disk is completely dead, my laptop and desktop computer can't find the disk. Got two SATA controllers on my desktop and both don't see any device on any of the SATA connectors. Also the drive is not detectable from an external box on both systems.

I use latest Intel INF driver 9.2.0.1021 for my ICH9 chipset from intel.com

Okay I will RMA it again, but seeing it is only a bit over 1 week since I got the last replacement, can I somehow get the packaging costs for returning the drive (again) returned? (think I read somewhere that this was possible within 30 days from last repair)

Archived