Corsair Community

CX750 Noise Issue

Master22988

I installed a CX750 in my system a month or so ago, and everything was fine until about a week ago when a strange clicking noise started occurring when my system was idle or under low load.

The best way to describe the noise would be that it's very similar to the sound a mechanical HDD makes when it is accessing content, but to go one step further, here's a quick video I recorded that shows the PSU and a close-up to hear the noise.

While it does sound like a HDD being accessed, I can assure you it is not. My main drive is a solid state drive and the storage drive was not being accessed by anything. This happens almost constantly when my computer is idle or doing something easy such as watching a video or browsing the web, and goes away when playing games.

My theory through research on Google is that there is an issue with the fan when it is going slower when there's not much power being drawn by the system, considering it goes away when under load.

I have checked for anything that may be obstructing the fan, and cannot see any sort of wire or anything at all in the fan's way.

I'd assume I would need to RMA the PSU, but I would like to find out for sure first. I also really do not want to take the risk of sending it away for RMA and have it come back because they could not replicate the problem, as it does happen more often when the system is on for longer periods of time. I cannot go without having a PSU for a long period of time as this is my only computer and I cannot afford to but another one while this is getting fixed.

I know it's somewhat of a minor problem, but the sound is literally driving me insane. You know the sound of a dripping tap or a loud cricket that just won't go away and there's nothing you can do to stop it? Yeah, it's like that. The fact I have no control over it and it shouldn't be happening in the first place is getting on my nerves.

This is the third Corsair product that has failed on me, the first being a 650W PSU and the second being an 80GB SSD which just decided to become unusable one day.

Thanks for any help.

I'd assume I would need to RMA the PSU, but I would like to find out for sure first. I also really do not want to take the risk of sending it away for RMA and have it come back because they could not replicate the problem, as it does happen more often when the system is on for longer periods of time. I cannot go without having a PSU for a long period of time as this is my only computer and I cannot afford to but another one while this is getting fixed.

That issue is related to the fan controller and yes, you can RMA it. Corsair will not test it when you send it in , they will just send you a new unit. They would rather do that than take the chance of multiple RMA's. which costs both parties more .

Just use the link on the left to request an RMA. To avoid down time advanced replacements are available , but you would need to call CS to arrange that for credit card security reasons.

Once you fill out the online RMA form you will be given a case number , just be sure to have that handy when you call. And if you happen to be out of the US, you can instal and use skype to make the call to the toll free number for nothing.

Archived