Corsair Community

Void (carbon) Surround Sound is not working

Rajko

Hi forum,

I've got a new Void wireless 7.1 carbon unit, and I'm noticing that it doesn't appear to play surround sound audio with just about any game. I've got a ticket open with support, but I wanted to check in with the userbase and see if anyone has a native solution.

I've got around the issue by using the Razer virtual surround sound tool, but although this does enable 7.1, the audio quality drops (pretty much like you'd expect)

So far it appears that with the 10 titles I've tried it with, the Void ends up playing stereo sound because Windows sees it as a 2 channel device, and all of the current games I'm using it with look at the host OS to determine what audio the game should be putting out.

Well I have a positive update, I found a game in my library the Void works with out of the box: Metro: Last Light Redux. I disabled the Razer software and gave it a shot, and I'm definitely getting virtual surround sound on it.

This reinforces my theory that updating the driver to present the headset as a 7.1 source to Windows would fix this issue for everyone.

Well I have a positive update, I found a game in my library the Void works with out of the box: Metro: Last Light Redux. I disabled the Razer software and gave it a shot, and I'm definitely getting virtual surround sound on it.

This reinforces my theory that updating the driver to present the headset as a 7.1 source to Windows would fix this issue for everyone.

According to Corsair, games supporting Dolby and created before 2011, will see the Void as stereo. They may be able to change that and are looking into it. No real promises, though. Post like yours help, because the more people are complaining about it, the more attention the issue gets.

Hi all, just to give an update on the 7.1 source to Windows "issue". In CUE v1.11x we will address this issue and it will be available to the public next Friday assuming we don't have any major issues with it.

Windows will recognize VOID as a 7.1 device.

That's really great, thanks for the update!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using the new software with the latest firmware for the last 6 days. At first before updating the firmware, I had some issues with the headset shutting itself off every 10 minutes or so, but then 5 or so days ago the firmware update was released and I have not had that problem since.

7.1 sound works pretty well now, and exceeds my expectations of a headset based system. Sound to the rear is a little difficult to distinguish, but the sound is very good.

The only issues I now have, are that sometimes the sound will glitch or stretch a moment of output, then recover after less than a second. This seems to happen less on the direct setting.

Possibly related, the headset sometimes attempts to communicate with me by beeping, and I'm not too sure what it's trying to tell me.

Overall, I'm now much happier with the set. I think I'll try and remove the software and firmware completely, and do a clean install, just to see if this has any effect on the sound glitch thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Trying it out again just now with Star Conflict, just about any time the game ai voice comes in during a mission, the sound would stutter out, be completely silent for just a moment, then stutter back in with a headset single beep tone.

Something seems glitchy here.

I'm trying out another USB port, I no longer see sample rates in my options, windows 7.

Interestingly, plugging the dongle into a usb 2.0 slot, (it was in a 3.0 usb slot) seems to have resolved my problem, at least I wasn't able to reproduce it again in Star Conflict. I'll report back if it happens again, but fingers crossed that was the problem.

Archived