Corsair Community

"Apparently" working. Could someone explain a few things?

SnowDeath

I had CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 + CMZ4GX3M2A1600C8 working fine with XMP profile 1 on a Gigabyte P67A-UD3-B3 bios v.9 that currently has an i5-2500K installed.

I am now just using the CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 set and have removed the smaller faster CMZ4GX3M2A1600C8 set.

Intel Etreme Tuning Utility and every other utility I use to identify the RAM is only able to tell size and number of modules even when set default.

I want to put one set in each channel and assume that I will need to manually set both to match the slightly slower 9-9-9-24 timing of the 8Gb modules but am confused to what other settings might be required in the bios.

To recap, both paired modules work fine apparently when XMP profile 1 is enabled, but I would like to make sure and actually want to know how to manually set them safely and have a better understanding of why.

I realize that 8Gb is more than enough ram for most situations, but I would love to get 12Gb up and running while learning the finer points of this new architecture with my P67.

Any details and/or advice would be greatly appreciated so I can make a decision.

Archived