Corsair Community

HX850i Exploded

Ricimer

So, after a couple of months of "pop" noises when turning on, my HX850i exploded.

Various previous searches suggest the pop noise is normal due to the high inrush current from the PSU being completely discharged. The power strip the computer is plugged into is turned on/off usually once a day (monitors are on it).

I'm wondering if there are specifications for the power cycle limit for these PSUs? I ask because from looking at the pieces that have subsequently fallen out of the HXi it appears to be green and burnt, and matches the colour of the inrush relay section in review pictures!

Sadly, I'm not sure of my warranty status, this HXi was a replacement for the original HX850 that failed, and it has been in use since November 2016.

sTKmsVN.jpg?2

Replying to myself, but the more I look, the more of these I find. There's two similar posts on the first couple of pages on this forum!

I gather this is the inrush thermistor? So, does it have specifications for maximum cycles? It seems to be failing for people who turn their PCs off at the mains each day.

Sadly the original PSU was out of warranty. I have purchased a replacement HX850i as I didn't want to remove all the cables.

Since I am now on my 3rd HX, are there any specifications for maximum duty cycle for the inrush thermistor? I suspect the replacement will also fail in the same manner if I turn the power off each day.

Edit: Added autopsy pics for the curious.

https://i.imgur.com/YGztE1o.jpg

SdtWiMB.jpg

Archived