Corsair Community

SP120 LED question regarding speed

Yakoozi

Hey guys,

I've just upgraded my old pc, basically replaced everything, and in a new case. Had loads of fun with the old one, but as soon as I saw the 570x, I knew I had to build one myself.

Now, I've nearly completed building it (there's a few stickers left to be taken off and the cabling on the back is rather messy), but now I've got this question regarding the fan speed.

The case came with 3 SP120 LED's in the frontwhich I connected to the sysfan3 slot on my motherboard. I then bought three more fans, which I installed in the top of the case, and one in the back, all of them as outtake.

Now I can adjust the speed of the front fans, and they are nice and quiet, but the ones in the top and the back are pretty loud. The front fans are connected to SYSFAN3, one in the top of the case is also connected to the SYSFAN3 slot (by a 4-to-1 cable), the otherone in the top is connected to CPUFAN1, and the one in the back is connected to CPUFAN2.

In addition, the CPUFAN1 is an AIO cpu cooler with two fans, but it has a hub, so I plugged one of the SP120 LED's into that one.

Are those 3 outtakes controlable? They seem to run at full speed which makes a lot of noise. I've tried making changes in my bios but I'm not sure if I'm doing the right thing. Or should I change them so that they are also connected to a SYSFAN slot, like the ones in the front of the case?

Help would be appreciated,

thanks!

The SP120 RGB fans are 3 pin DC motors and need to be controlled by raising or lowering voltage. You did not specify what AIO cooler you've plugged the extra fan into, but it may work on PWM control that would supply 12v and a maximum 100% fan speed at all times.

The same may be true of your other headers. Go into the BIOS and see if the CPU fan headers are set to PWM. They may need to be for your AIO or they may also be fixed as PWM control only on some boards. Also, some systems tie the two CPU fan headers together (one mirrors the other for air tower fans) and thus both must run the same speed. You are going to need to dig up your motherboard manual and/or MSI help about your headers behave.

Are those the only fan headers available? No SYS_FAN 1 or 2?

Thanks for the answer!

Excuse me for not naming my cooler, its the Kraken X62, hanging in front of the case. I changed the fans that were blowing full throttle to the empty SYS_FAN slots, and that fixed the problem, I guess. I have yet to find out how to control them, but as you've said, I think I have to go into the BIOS to see what's going on, because if I'm not mistaken, some of the fans were not visible.

I think I'm going to need an extra X>1 hub to connect those fans to as they are now hanging loose.

Here's a picture of it right now (before changing the fan cables),I adore it.

http://imgur.com/a/IHsOg

The back still is a mess though

I suspect the Kraken X52 works very much Corsair coolers and uses PWM signals to control the fans. Any DC fan connected will always run at 100%. Also, be careful how many fans you connect to it. I do not know the current limit for that cooler, but you should use caution when connecting anything more than the two it came with. NZXT may be able to provide a specific amperage limit. It might be convenient for the front 5 120'a to run at the same speed, but make sure the cooler can handle it.

On the other side, the top and rear fans could also run from a single header. You should be able to run all three from a three way splitter to a single motherboard header, if needed (0.26A x 3 < 1.0A limit).

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for the answer!

Excuse me for not naming my cooler, its the Kraken X62, hanging in front of the case. I changed the fans that were blowing full throttle to the empty SYS_FAN slots, and that fixed the problem, I guess. I have yet to find out how to control them, but as you've said, I think I have to go into the BIOS to see what's going on, because if I'm not mistaken, some of the fans were not visible.

I think I'm going to need an extra X>1 hub to connect those fans to as they are now hanging loose.

Great look'n build. Don't have anything to add to the fans but I'm sure i'll have the same questions. We have similar builds if I get the 570x.

Nice cabling too.

Thanks for the answer!

BTW did you order exact measurements for your sleeved card cables? I'm assuming they're not extensions because they're emanating from 570's tragic shroud.

Archived