Corsair Community

HX1000 Failing Again

mentalRAGE

Hello all,

I have a Corsair HX1000 powering my system, and it seems to be failing for the second time. My first HX1000 went out in Sept. 2011 (about a 9 month lifetime), and I RMAed it and got a new one installed in late October. Before the first PSU failed, I was experiencing random shutdowns every few days. The replacement HX1000 solved this for a couple of months, then the random shutdowns came back. I have been unable to find the cause of the shutdowns for the last few months. Starting this week, however, the 3.3V output from the HX1000 has fallen dangerously low. In both BIOS and software, it reads between 2.94V and 3.04V. It used to read between 3.23V and 3.3V when new. I would like to request an RMA on this power supply and ask that Corsair cover the shipping since it is the second time on this unit.

With regards to the random shutdowns I encountered every few days, Windows said the error was a video hardware failure. This made me suspect the power supply as well. If I'm not mistaken, the HX1000 is two 500W rails. I thought this should be enough to run my GTX580 with no problems, but perhaps I was wrong and need a stronger singer rail PSU. I think the video hardware failure is occurring because the video card isn't getting enough power or power is dropping out under load. Do you think this is the case? If so, what replacement PSUs would you suggest?

Cheers,

mentalRAGE

P.S. I also noticed that when the graphics card is under load, the 3.3V output drops by about 0.08V and then returns to the previous value when it is idle.

It used to read between 3.23V and 3.3V when new. I would like to request an RMA on this power supply and ask that Corsair cover the shipping since it is the second time on this unit

Just use the link on the left to get your RMA started. Once you get a case number or RMA number you will have to call Customer Service on the phone and work the shipping details out with them. They will infact cover the shipping on second RMA's So you'll be good to go there.

With regards to the random shutdowns I encountered every few days, Windows said the error was a video hardware failure. This made me suspect the power supply as well. If I'm not mistaken, the HX1000 is two 500W rails. I thought this should be enough to run my GTX580 with no problems, but perhaps I was wrong and need a stronger singer rail PSU. I think the video hardware failure is occurring because the video card isn't getting enough power or power is dropping out under load. Do you think this is the case? If so, what replacement PSUs would you suggest?

Have you tried splitting the power between the rails. It should run one 580 on any rail really. But splitting it might help.

P.S. I also noticed that when the graphics card is under load, the 3.3V output drops by about 0.08V and then returns to the previous value when it is idle.

This is normal under a load. Your GPU will use the 3.3v rail too.

By splitting power between the rails, do you mean put one connector into the GTX580 from rail 1 and one connector from rail 2, since it takes two pcie connectors? I read that you were not supposed to do this somewhere. I do have the GPU on the rail that the mobo/cpu is not on, so I don't see why it wouldn't have enough power as it is.

Seams to me multi rail psu just cant handle the power being drawn from one of these high end cards. I had a few multi rail psu die on my gtx 480 ocd. None were corsair. these were 1000watt+ units. I then dropped to a 750tx and ran smooth as butter even handled 2 heavily overclocked 470s. Id beg to switch u to an hx1050, since this is ur 2nd rma u may have some leverage. Im on an hx1050 and its beast handled tri 470s and a 4.2 i7 930 without a hiccup. Other then heat. Id even drop down to an hx850 over an hx1000 any day of the week. ;):

By splitting power between the rails, do you mean put one connector into the GTX580 from rail 1 and one connector from rail 2, since it takes two pcie connectors? I read that you were not supposed to do this somewhere. I do have the GPU on the rail that the mobo/cpu is not on, so I don't see why it wouldn't have enough power as it is.

Seams to me multi rail psu just cant handle the power being drawn from one of these high end cards. I had a few multi rail psu die on my gtx 480 ocd. None were corsair. these were 1000watt+ units. I then dropped to a 750tx and ran smooth as butter even handled 2 heavily overclocked 470s. Id beg to switch u to an hx1050, since this is ur 2nd rma u may have some leverage. Im on an hx1050 and its beast handled tri 470s and a 4.2 i7 930 without a hiccup. Other then heat. Id even drop down to an hx850 over an hx1000 any day of the week.

Thanks hooded! This is exactly what i was getting at.

Seams to me multi rail psu just cant handle the power being drawn from one of these high end cards. I had a few multi rail psu die on my gtx 480 ocd. None were corsair. these were 1000watt+ units. I then dropped to a 750tx and ran smooth as butter even handled 2 heavily overclocked 470s. Id beg to switch u to an hx1050, since this is ur 2nd rma u may have some leverage. Im on an hx1050 and its beast handled tri 470s and a 4.2 i7 930 without a hiccup. Other then heat. Id even drop down to an hx850 over an hx1000 any day of the week. ;):

Got to agree with the above , my old HX1000 would random shutdown when i got my 590 , replaced with the HX1050 and no issues since .

Hey Ramguy, TSX Case #2747036, I got an RMA# assigned today. However, they did not answer my questions about covering shipping since it is the second RMA or about the possibility of getting the HX1000 replaced with HX1050. Would I need to call customer service to see about these? I don't want to have to RMA an HX1000 a couple of times a year, so if they will only replace it with another HX1000 I want to know so I can go ahead and buy a different PSU and just sell the HX1000.

• 4 years later...
Hello all,

I have a Corsair HX1000 powering my system, and it seems to be failing for the second time. My first HX1000 went out in Sept. 2011 (about a 9 month lifetime), and I RMAed it and got a new one installed in late October. Before the first PSU failed, I was experiencing random shutdowns every few days. The replacement HX1000 solved this for a couple of months, then the random shutdowns came back. I have been unable to find the cause of the shutdowns for the last few months. Starting this week, however, the 3.3V output from the HX1000 has fallen dangerously low. In both BIOS and software, it reads between 2.94V and 3.04V. It used to read between 3.23V and 3.3V when new. I would like to request an RMA on this power supply and ask that Corsair cover the shipping since it is the second time on this unit.

Cheers,

mentalRAGE

maybe old thread, but what you have is a bad power supply, I have the hx1050, mine ran for 4 years continuously spinning all drives, no sleep, and running plex every night, mine just blinked off one day and all I can get it to do is blink on and it goes right back off, the voltage tests good on all pins, however I performed some load tests and 42 watts put the 3.3v section out and set it into failure mode, its rated at 180. 1000 watts should be just fine to power almost any machine, what you have is a failing power supply that is dropping voltage under load when it shouldn't, the 3.3 drop will cause your computer to power off or send all kinds of other failure messages, it shouldn't ever drop to my knowledge, if it does your power supply is bad or you have way to low wattage supply for your MB, none of the other cables use 3.3, its only fed to the MB through the ATX connector. the processor needs that voltage to work properly.

come to think of it, I got some stupid error popup on log out a couple times a week before it went.

just to be sure I put it in an old computer, this pc was more helpful, it beeped out a code that said power failure and it is 1/10 the system mine is. so I have found that these power supplies can have this issue, I have never run into a premade computer at work to do this, when they fail they just stop coming on.

I opened it up, changed a capacitor that looked iffy on the 3.3 section, still no help. probably voided my possibility of RMA, but I have to have it up soon so I had one overnighted last night. I don't know how long the warranty is either

Archived