Corsair Community

Is the Corsair Lighting Node Pro really just a demo/prototype/beta?

unilythe

I bought the Lighting Node Pro, and I gotta be honest... I'm a little disappointed.

First of course the latest firmware update breaking the controller, forcing me to open my cramped Corsair 460x case to get to the controller, so I could reset it to factory settings. What disappointed me most though, was that the Corsair Lighting Node Pro has only the most basic of effects possible on individually addressable LED strips. Every available option works fine, and I haven't had issues with Corsair Link yet (but I heard many complaints). It's just the fact that it seems incredibly incomplete. I mean, even the little unpractical remote that comes with the HD120 controller has more options than Corsair Lighting Node Pro.

Don't get me wrong - I'm glad I got this to replace my other well-known LED strip controller out there that I cannot name by forum rules. This controller is a lot smaller, Corsair's RGB fans are a lot better, and I have not had technical issues with the software itself yet. However, considering the fact that Corsair has not at all promoted or advertised this product yet (I only accidentaly found out about it), I came to the conclusion that Corsair doesn't consider the product "ready" enough yet to actually advertise/promote it. I feel like this is really just a working beta where the hardware is 100% done and can be shipped, but the software isn't there yet and we're essentially "beta testers" for Corsair. I genuinly hope this is the case, because else... The Corsair Lighting Node Pro is incredibly mediocre.

Has Corsair said anything about future updates/additional effect/features for the Lighting Node Pro? Because I've been looking, but there's a good amount of silence when it comes to this product.

Use http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?p=897164

It's possible that more modes are implemented in the firmware, but I suspect not as when I tried to use Colour Wave + 1 I just got blank LEDs.

I sure hope there will be more modes yeah. The one I really like from the little controller thingymajig is basically an alternative to Colour Wave where it would turn all fans into another colour one after the other in a sort of Colour Wave.

It kind of looks similar to when the LED configuration is set on "36 LED HD Fans" in SIV, and then set on Colour Wave mode. It's still different though.

Things like that are possible with an Arduino I guess, but I'm really really terrible at building stuff like that so I'll just wait and see if Corsair adds it in an update. I just hope it's even possible for the firmware to have more modes. I noticed right now the modes are numbered from 0-7, which could mean that in the firmware it only can use 3 bits to specify the mode. Or am I wrong there?

I noticed right now the modes are numbered from 0-7, which could mean that in the firmware it only can use 3 bits to specify the mode. Or am I wrong there?

Those are just the numbers SIV uses and the numbers used by the LNP are different.

The mode is a byte so in theory 256 would be possible :eek:

Things like that are possible with an Arduino I guess, but I'm really really terrible at building stuff like that

I already designed it into an Arduino sketch for a Pro Micro that fits into the SD or HD controller module "remote" that plugs into the fan LED hub. I'm working on an instructional video. It's technically possible to do without soldering even, even though it's not recommended and may not fit in the plastic case in that situation. The Sketch/code for the Arduino is on github and available, and I'm hoping to expand it to do more as well as potentially be able to be controlled by SIV via HID USB, if red-ray is up for it.

I'm hoping to expand it to do more as well as potentially be able to be controlled by SIV via HID USB, if red-ray is up for it.

I had most of the LNP code working after a couple of days, so adding support to SIV to control a HID Arduino should be quite easy.

I suspect SIV would also need to load the firmware as many would not wish to install the Arduino IDE and this would take rather longer. I added [Link Update] some time ago, but don't have the information to update the firmware on Corsair devices.

attachment.php?attachmentid=27888&d=1487782905

I wonder if it's possible to send a command to switch an LNP into LPC1XXX iFlash mode rather then needing to press the button. If so then it would be quite easy to copy new firmware onto the USB Disk Drive. Do you know if it's possible to tell the LPC1XXX iFlash to do a reboot?

:idea: Have you considered using a NXP LPC1XXX chip so we could do the same with your firmware?

I had most of the LNP code working after a couple of days, so adding support to SIV to control a HID Arduino should be quite easy.

I suspect SIV would also need to load the firmware as many would not wish to install the Arduino IDE and this would take rather longer. I added [Link Update] some time ago, but don't have the information to update the firmware on Corsair devices.

I wonder if it's possible to send a command to switch an LNP into LPC1XXX iFlash mode rather then needing to press the button. If so then it would be quite easy to copy new firmware onto the USB Disk Drive. Do you know if it's possible to tell the LPC1XXX iFlash to do a reboot?

:idea: Have you considered using a NXP LPC1XXX chip so we could do the same with your firmware?

"Using a chip" generally requires having said chip integrated onto a usable board with the proper hardware connections installed or available. So in my case, I am able to pay somebody to send me five Arduino Pro Micros and three PTH solder joints make it all happy. By comparison, Corsair paid a company to custom-construct circuit boards in bulk using the NXP LPC1 chips (I misremember which specific LPC1). Though the chips are along the lines of $6 or so, and altogether for the board and chips and various components likely was < $15, they were probably fabricated in lots of, oh, say, 100,000 or 500,000. I'm not able to put forward $1.5 million. ^.^;

So at that point it would be a matter of finding a workable board that I can purchase pre-made in small lots, aside from the LNP.

If we stick with the Arduino Pro Micro, it becomes a DIY project and not something I'd be selling most likely, so each person would need to acquire and construct their own. At that point, I'd hope they were comfortable with loading things on an Arduino. XD In general Arduino primarily uses Serial to load code. The downside is that without purchasing a VID from the USB folks, the ID would remain as an Arduino (Or it'd be a "dangerous" hack) because I doubt there is any "Free to use/local VID" like there are "local IP addresses" and if there are, they should not be distributed.

I'll look into what options are available, but I don't have a lot of hope for it. ._.

And any command to switch the LNP into load mode would have to be built into the Corsair firmware loaded on it most likely, though I could be wrong. It's obviously possible to put it into load mode, as CL4 loads the new firmware.

The LNP has three modes

Ah, I was referring (poorly) to the other portion of

Obviously the CL4 sends a command that creates a state that allows overwriting of firmware on the LNP via some method. The disk-like firmware recovery mode is via a hard reset button. There may be a way to programmatically advise the chip to enter this mode, and it might be bootloader-based, or it might be/need-to-be cooked into the custom firmware.

It was just an extrapolation of what we do know and agreeing on what we don't or might not know currently. :)

So, basically an 11U37 from the looks of things.

Not having it be a retail solution limits the user base. O.o Any time that something requires people to build it themselves, it can get complicated and that will limit the user base.

Technically we -probably- could, but that would still have a huge set of DIY factor, unless you wanted to build the hardware for people. That board is also a lot bigger than it may seem.

It might be a better idea to figure out custom firmware for the LNP as the hardware side rather than trying to get an ARM-based 5V board inexpensively and small if the general idea is to have it be simple.

figure out custom firmware for the LNP

Custom LNP firmware would work for me and I suspect many others. The only possible issue I can see is that we don't have the board schematics.

The LNP protocol is OK, so feel you should just extend it to add more modes. I would also like to be able to read the current firmware configuration rather than the device being a WOM.

I just found http://www.nxp.com/documents/user_manual/UM10462.pdf

I would also like custom firmware for the CL Mini as Corsair have failed to address any of the bugs in the 1.1.06 firmware.

We also don't have the existing source for the firmware, which makes it a little more challenging. The manual linked is primarily actual chip data and things to the level of registers, which is a lower level than I deal with. However it's useful in telling me the chip is an ARM Cortex-M0 whiiiiich means it likely works with the MBed toolchain. ^.^

Not knowing the board schematics and having traces obfuscated by the board paint makes it a little more of a challenge. It would be trial and error to find the correct pin out.

I would prefer an API Doc style item if I'm going to try to deal with replicating LNP handling.

Interesting side note: I took a look in the original firmware to see if there was anything recognizable and discovered it's just about a whopping 2.8k of machine code and the rest is padding. O.o

Can't say much for the CL Mini. Don't have one, dun want one. <.<

I strongly recommend checking the code I wrote then. It's able to realign the lighting around the circle and control per fan by software (Serial connection currently. T^T )

It needs more modes. <.<

I need to get some time to work on it. ._.

I strongly recommend checking the code I wrote then. It's able to realign the lighting around the circle and control per fan by software (Serial connection currently. T^T )

It needs more modes. <.<

I need to get some time to work on it. ._.

i just checked yours code, but, shame to say, i don't know how to change modes :)

i just checked yours code, but, shame to say, i don't know how to change modes :)

Did I forget to put directions in the readme? O.o

Current serial settings: Open serial connection (Serial Monitor in Arduino).

Send #,#,# for fan, setting, value

Currently look at code to see descriptions if I missed i tin the readme. <.< I'll take a look at it when I'm not swamped.

Archived