Corsair Community

AX860i Tier 2 Caps\ downgrade

Danidasanic

Hi

Why the ax860i reviewed on johnyguru.com site got all japanese caps and mine (bought only few days later) have some caps changed rated@ 85ºc ?

Whats the point to review one product and deliver a downgrade version to consumers ? thats what i call a scam, i paid more than 200€ for this downgrade psu thinking that i was getting a premium psu just like i saw on johnyguru.com.. i'm very disapointed

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Corsair Employee

What caps are 85°C? Can you take pictures?

The small caps on the modular interface can be either NCC brand (brown) or Taicon brand (mint green), but as far as I know they should always be 105°C.

• Corsair Employee

It's "like" that CapXon or it "is" that CapXon that's in yours?

Still can't see that it's an 85°C vs. 105°C based on Xbit's picture.

I hadn't seen the CapXon yet, but where that cap is is the one lone Taicon cap usually is (other than the ones on the modular interface).

And you're sure you can read "p1230vent gs85ºc" across the top of the cap?

I can find out exactly what the AVL is for the capacitors used at C1A4 and what it's job is. If Flextronics has a longer AVL for this one particular cap, it's probably like the ones on the modular interface and are relatively low stress.

mine looks like a capxon cap (purple) , obvious isn't a nippon chemi-con cap.

like i said , i can see GS 85ºc on the cap .

low stress or not , it's in fact diferent from what i saw on johnyguru.com review

Also, how did you identify your caps? Can you see it through the vents, or did you take apart the PSU?

through the vents

• Corsair Employee

Well... GS is certainly an 85°C rated CapXon.

We did review the AX860i and that unit does have an NCC cap in that location, but it's a totally different PSU than the one in the Xbit labs picture and the cap is even a different value (2.2uF vs. 4.7uF). So you're saying that you have the AX860i, but it has the CapXon cap in it like the AX760i that Xbit labs opened up?

I wonder if they found a problem with using the smaller NCC cap that using a bigger cap solved. I'll have to ask the engineers.

What caps are 85°C? Can you take pictures?

The small caps on the modular interface can be either NCC brand (brown) or Taicon brand (mint green), but as far as I know they should always be 105°C.

If they sould be 105ºc caps , will corsair replace my psu ?

btw

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/blog/2013/december/power-supply-capacitor-q-and-a

Q: When does Corsair decide to use Japanese capacitors?

In higher end units,...

this is just to show off\ review samples , right ? maybe "axi" aren't high-end models..

• Corsair Employee
If they sould be 105ºc caps , will corsair replace my psu ?

We have a query in with Flextronics. Hopefully they'll get back to us over the weekend.

btw

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/blog/2013/december/power-supply-capacitor-q-and-a

this is just to show off\ review samples , right ? maybe "axi" aren't high-end models..

BTW: I wrote that article.

And your comment is borderline trolling. Corsair doesn't send out "golden samples" to reviewers and don't do "bait and switch" tactics. AXi is actually Corsair's top of the line series.

So cool your jets and wait for a response. Is your PSU broken? No. Is it going to burst into flames? No. So just wait, please.

• Corsair Employee

Probably not many. I wasn't aware of it and when I brought it up with engineering, they didn't know about it either.

Stay tuned. We're waiting to hear from people in China, so they're half way around the world and probably still in bed.

• Corsair Employee
Turns out... Absolutely. This capacitor is doing absolutely no filtering for your DC output. That cap is part of a circuit whose only job is to monitor the AC input voltage for the DSP.

• 2 weeks later...

lesser brands ? like seasonic ,super flower or delta psu's ? at least they dont usualy do gold samples for reviewers only .

Corsair have only one premium psu (for now) , the 1500axi ..all the rest AXi psu's are less premium

btw: I have 3.264v , sometimes 3.24v on 3.3v rail at idle ... this is what you call a quality psu ?..

• Corsair Employee
lesser brands ? like seasonic ,super flower or delta psu's ? at least they dont usualy do gold samples for reviewers only .

To group Seasonic and Super Flower into the same category as a Flextronics built Corsair is laughable and shows ignorance. Flextronics is a manufacturer of server PSUs. The AXi product is the only retail level product they make. Delta is another server PSU company, but they've been moving away from the consumer level product for some time.

Yes, CapXon is not the best capacitor brand. But, like I said, it's part in the PSU is only part of the monitoring circuit and by having a mix of units where some have all NCC and other have one CapXon is hardly giving out golden samples. What about your link to Xbit's review? They had one unit with a CapXon. Why didn't they get a "Golden Sample"?

btw: I have 3.264v , sometimes 3.24v on 3.3v rail at idle ... this is what you call a quality psu ?..

Using what? Link? FYI: 3.3V rail has a +/- of 5%. That's an allowable drop of .165V. You're seeing voltages that are -0.06 and you're complaining? Now you're just trolling.

• 4 months later...
To group Seasonic and Super Flower into the same category as a Flextronics built Corsair is laughable and shows ignorance. Flextronics is a manufacturer of server PSUs. The AXi product is the only retail level product they make. Delta is another server PSU company, but they've been moving away from the consumer level product for some time.

i was giving some examples of good quality brand of psu's and putting on the same category in that perspective..isn't that hard to understand what I said..

Yes, CapXon is not the best capacitor brand. But, like I said, it's part in the PSU is only part of the monitoring circuit and by having a mix of units where some have all NCC and other have one CapXon is hardly giving out golden samples.

a premium psu like an AXI model , should have ALL premium" capacitors no matter what u say ...u are just defending ur brand with excuses

IF the model is diferent , CORSAIR should give that info to all consumers or making a diferent revision...maybe the score that u give would be diferent if u saw crapxon caps inside ..i bought this psu thinking that i was getting exaclty the same psu that u reviewed ..sadly it isn't . similar" and equal" isn't the same thing

What about your link to Xbit's review? They had one unit with a CapXon. Why didn't they get a "Golden Sample"?

xbit review was done 04\2013 , later than ur review and after selling a bunch of axi 860\760 based on ur review (yes , your imparcial" reviews are a big fact for ppl to consider and buy good" psu's) . I don't even know if this psu reviewed by them was a sample or not , doesn't matter .. what matters is what i already said , Corsair didn't advert any consumer of that or even u (supposedly) , but they sold a bunch of them after ur (almost perfect score) review , fact

• 1 month later...
..i bought this psu thinking that i was getting exaclty the same psu that u reviewed ..sadly it isn't . similar" and equal" isn't the same thing..

TRUE!

Ok i kinda was shocked when i found this thread.

I was researching online for weeks now, to find the perfect PSU for my new build.

I am an electonics technican, finding bad caps every day, so i was checking out all available reviews to identify good parts and bad parts in the PSUs.

So same here, because i found all good caps in jonnygurus review, i ordered the AX860i.

I will get it next week, now i will have to stick my endoscope in and look for "X"... not what i expected while paying 200 EUR.

And even if it may work 1-7 years, i dont WANT bad caps anywhere in my products, thats why i am willing to pay more than usual for a good design (internal).

I ordered more Corsair products for this rig btw...

H100i, 4x SP Fans, 4x Vengeance LP, 450D, AX860i...

expecting to get professional gear only, as promised.

Is this even a reason for sending back the product to get a refund?

"I Dont like the caps... other caps than expected..."???

Can there any series of the AX860i with good caps and bad caps be identified though the model, serial or product number?

please PM if there are any signs!

just curious what im going to get next week.

not funny.

cap roulette.:confused:

Archived