Corsair Community

AX1500I shutdown and link problems

JUANNY

Heya all I have a couple of issues with this power supply. I received it on saturday and swapped it out the same day. My old power supply was the corsair TX 750. Once installed I started playing with the settings in corsair link and inadvertently toggled the multi rail setting. The power supply immediately shut down with the red led lit. I had to manually reset the i/o switch in the back to get it to come back on. Once reset I booted up and got back into link to undo the multi rail setting however the power supply randomly shuts itself down. I triple checked all the attached cables to make sure that the cables were all secured to the MB and PS. The only way that I can keep the power supply running is by disconnecting the USB cable so that it cant communicate with corsair link 4.8.0.82. Even link was giving me bogus power consumption numbers as shown in the included screen. To test it I found a very old version of link that had accurate wattage usage and would not trip the power supply. Anybody have any idea how I can fix it?

ax1500i.thumb.jpg.9cf2a4e34b793e524ea72894cf61358e.jpg

Heya all I have a couple of issues with this power supply. I received it on saturday and swapped it out the same day. My old power supply was the corsair TX 750. Once installed I started playing with the settings in corsair link and inadvertently toggled the multi rail setting. The power supply immediately shut down with the red led lit. I had to manually reset the i/o switch in the back to get it to come back on. Once reset I booted up and got back into link to undo the multi rail setting however the power supply randomly shuts itself down. I triple checked all the attached cables to make sure that the cables were all secured to the MB and PS. The only way that I can keep the power supply running is by disconnecting the USB cable so that it cant communicate with corsair link 4.8.0.82. Even link was giving me bogus power consumption numbers as shown in the included screen. To test it I found a very old version of link that had accurate wattage usage and would not trip the power supply. Anybody have any idea how I can fix it?

Greetings!

Would you please kindly provide your Serial Number? We're going to look into this for you.

I could comment further if you ran my SIV V5.22 utility and posted the Menu->Tools->Link Power panel.

Ideally post one screen shot showing both the CL 4.8.0.82 power + SIV [Link Power] information.

BTW .PNG gives sharper/crisper images then .JPG

Thanks for your reply Red btw I do love SIV 5.22 it has a lot of useful info

As requested I include the screen of both SIV snd CL(4.8.0.82) at the same time that I ran a quick dose of prime 95 CPU torture stress to ramp up the power supply wattage

SIV= 234 W

CL = 34 W

That is if I'm reading it right

The old version of CL that I tested last night that has somewhat believable wattage numbers was CL 4.2.4.25 which unfortunately does not support the latest corsair hardware. I have corsair hardware AX1500i, h115i water cooler, commander pro, lightning node and a ton of corsair fans. I'm kinda of disappointed in link if it damage my power supply firmware.

1212773705_AX1500I(sivANDcl).thumb.png.7b102531bc96d4efd73eb4514812c1a5.png

Greetings!

Would you please kindly provide your Serial Number? We're going to look into this for you.

Thanks kindly for the prompt reply. I grabbed the serial number from the box sticker since that was more accessible than the power supply that's mounted

serial = 17249502001009590043

I was lucky to have found in stock at newegg cause the corsair store and amazon were sold out.

After I toggled the multi rail setting it immediately shut off like it was reading an OCP which does not make sense cause without link running or if I remove the USB cable the power supply behaves better. Can link mess up the AX1500i firmware? During my troubleshooting I did disconnect it from the wall socket cause I heard somewhere that would reset back to default the power supply.

1. As requested I include the screen of both SIV snd CL(4.8.0.82) at the same time that I ran a quick dose of prime 95 CPU torture stress to ramp up the power supply wattage SIV= 234 W CL = 34 W
  2. That is if I'm reading it right
  3. The old version of CL that I tested last night that has somewhat believable wattage numbers was
  4. CL 4.2.4.25 which unfortunately does not support the latest corsair hardware. I have corsair hardware AX1500i, h115i water cooler, commander pro, lightning node and a ton of corsair fans.
  5. I'm kinda of disappointed in link if it damage my power supply firmware.

1. To me the obvious issue is 12 V x 19 A = 192 W, but CL4 reports 0W which must be incorrect. SIV is 224 W which seems far more likely to me.
  2. Yes, I read the same and feel the 79 + 62 W must be wonky.
  3. Looking at http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155646 then for CL 4.3.0.154 it says AXi Series PSU show more accurate power values at lower loads :bigeyes:.
  4. SIV 5.22 should support all of these, does [Link Status] list them all? The CLCP (commander pro) should be on [Link Power], was it not connected?
  5. The firmware can't be updated, so I doubt this.
  6. With my AX1500i the +12 power is sensible, but mine is C-Link rather than USB connected, so maybe CL4 only goes wonky for USB connected AXi PSUs.
  7. My guess is that things went wonky in CL 4.3.0.154 and Corsair need to look into this.

It has issues correctly detecting some 3rd party fans. You can check [Link Fans] to see the fan type detected. Hover the mouse over the green blobs and the tool tip will report the type.

If in doubt post the panel.

It wont show in SIV because I physically disconnected commander pro to rule it out from my power supply issues. I migrated temporarily CLCP fans to the built in controller on my corsair 780T and the motherboard headers and the h115i fan controller. One of the biggest reasons I upgraded to the 1500 w supply was because I was pushing my old supply to the limits. 1. h115i is being run in push/pull=4 fans 2 140mm fans in the front 2 120mm fans on bottom and 1 exhaust

attachment.php?attachmentid=30684&d=1502825262

I have long been confused by the CL4 reporting of both my AX1500i and AX760i PSUs. I recall posts such as http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=860403 about this and I posted http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=845101, but thus far I have not received any sensible feedback. While comparing what is reported for your AX1500i and my AX1500i I feel I should mention:

1. With my AX1500i both CL4 + SIV report the same OCP information, but with your AX1500i they are different.
  2. My UPS supplies all of my monitors + router + PC. When I power off the monitors then the minimum power supplied by the UPS is 182 watts and the 160 watts reported by SIV is less. CL4 reports 228 watts and assuming the UPS reported power is correct then CL4 must be incorrect.
  3. When I initially added AXi PSU support to SIV silly min/max values were reported. To stop these I needed to add sanity check/retry code to SIV and after doing this SIV now reports sensible values. Below you can see there are 8 retries with a rate of 0.25% and SIV also reports retries for your PSU. I suspect these are down to timing issues within the AX1500i firmware and would like to know what Corsair think. Is there a later firmware that corrects this? I looked in corsairsiusbxp.inf and after doing this suspect there is a later AXi firmware.
  4. I have also just noticed that with your AX1500i it's possible to select single or multi rail mode, but with my AX1500i this is not possible as that panel section is totally missing from CL 4.8.0.82 on my system, why?

All in all I feel the information reported by the AXi PSU hardware/firmware is strange and the numbers do not add up.

attachment.php?attachmentid=30685&stc=1&d=1502867741

1953310293_CL4.8.0.82DodgyPowerReporting.thumb.png.6322189821c130eeb6b50f1cecf6842c.png

Now Im really pleasantly confused. For the last 2 days the power supply seems to be running much more stable (as in it hasn't done any unexpected shutdowns)

1. The confusing part is that Link is showing the power supply in Single Rail mode as shown in the screen which is strange since I haven't toggled it since the initial toggle when I was trying it out. Compare screens earlier in the thread.
  2. Does link or the PS randomly do things like that? I'm afraid to even mess with that setting in fear that it may make the PS unstable again.
  3. If the power supply is indeed in single rail mode can I leave it there without sacrificing any functionality or OCP protection?
  4. Link shows the PCIe rails blanked out like the OCP amperage not set? SIV shows OCP checked with diff OCP levels then CL.
  5. Also I dont know if I should take a chance in connecting my commander pro back up so as to not throw another variable into the power supply issue.
  6. The commander pro has Fan 2 port that stopped working and since I only had it less than a month Im not sure if corsair will grant an RMA for one bad port.

1131047055_AX1500ICL.thumb.png.0b6ce4c48006325c3712c604a49b30b1.png

1926294959_AX1500i(SIV).thumb.png.ebf4a6f87372666e60f3cf5d77ee6f64.png

Now Im really pleasantly confused. For the last 2 days the power supply seems to be running much more stable (as in it hasn't done any unexpected shutdowns)

1. The confusing part is that Link is showing the power supply in Single Rail mode as shown in the screen which is strange since I haven't toggled it since the initial toggle when I was trying it out. Compare screens earlier in the thread.
  2. Does link or the PS randomly do things like that? I'm afraid to even mess with that setting in fear that it may make the PS unstable again.
  3. If the power supply is indeed in single rail mode can I leave it there without sacrificing any functionality or OCP protection?
  4. Link shows the PCIe rails blanked out like the OCP amperage not set? SIV shows OCP checked with diff OCP levels then CL.
  5. Also I dont know if I should take a chance in connecting my commander pro back up so as to not throw another variable into the power supply issue.
  6. The commander pro has Fan 2 port that stopped working and since I only had it less than a month Im not sure if corsair will grant an RMA for one bad port.

1. I guess CL4 must have switched it to single rail mode, but with my AX1500i I can't do this, so I guess your AX1550i must have later firmware. Currently SIV only reads the OCP setting and can't change them.
  2. I don't use CL4 much at all and don't really know. I don't recall my AX1500i ever making random changes since I got it on Mon 12-May-2014.
  3. If it's in single rail mode then AFAIK you don't get the per PCIe rail OCP protection at all.
  4. I need to update SIV to know about AXi PSUs that can have single rail, but need to figure out how to do this. Basically I need to know which register controls single vs. multi rail mode and update SIV to allow for the current setting, but can't use my AX1500i to do this.
  5. I feel it's best to address one issue at a time.
  6. I still wonder if it's a fan detection issue, but would need to see [Link Fans] to sensibly comment.
  7. Can you remember if CL 4.2.4.25 allows single/multi rail to be selected?
  8. I suspect your AX1500i may have registers 0x9B + 0xD8 and these are the revision + OCP mode. It would be interesting to see the register dump, to generate this press the [ n:x 01 ] button just to the left of [ AX1500i ] on [Link Status]. Looking at the attached you can see my AX1500i does not have these.

BTW I suspect Kingston 9905471-009.A00LF 4 X 6GB should be 6 X 4GB in your PC specs

404019793_AX1500iregisterdump.thumb.png.8457c983b44f1267db56eadf9be2f8af.png

1. I guess CL4 must have switched it to single rail mode, but with my AX1500i I can't do this, so I guess your AX1550i must have later firmware. Currently SIV only reads the OCP setting and can't change them.
  2. I don't use CL4 much at all and don't really know. I don't recall my AX1500i ever making random changes since I got it on Mon 12-May-2014.
  3. If it's in single rail mode then AFAIK you don't get the per PCIe rail OCP protection at all.
  4. I need to update SIV to know about AXi PSUs that can have single rail, but need to figure out how to do this. Basically I need to know which register controls single vs. multi rail mode and update SIV to allow for the current setting, but can't use my AX1500i to do this.
  5. I feel it's best to address one issue at a time.
  6. I still wonder if it's a fan detection issue, but would need to see [Link Fans] to sensibly comment.
  7. Can you remember if CL 4.2.4.25 allows single/multi rail to be selected?

BTW I suspect Kingston 9905471-009.A00LF 4 X 6GB should be 6 X 4GB in your PC specs

6. I think I'm going to give the power supply a couple of more days of stability then I'm going to reconnect commander pro and will post link fans.

7. If I remember right that early version CL 4.2.4.25 did not have a setting to toggle single/multi rail

8. CL 4.2.4.25 did display reasonable power consumption so what happen after that version that's showing bogus numbers

6. I think I'm going to give the power supply a couple of more days of stability then I'm going to reconnect commander pro and will post link fans.

7. If I remember right that early version CL 4.2.4.25 did not have a setting to toggle single/multi rail

8. CL 4.2.4.25 did display reasonable power consumption so what happen after that version that's showing bogus numbers

6. Wise move

7. Thank you

8. I am wondering if your PSU is too new for CL 4.2.4.25 to correctly support it.

9. Did you see I added a #8 above?

6. Wise move

7. Thank you

8. I am wondering if your PSU is too new for CL 4.2.4.25 to correctly support it.

9. Did you see I added a #8 above?

8. You mean the latest CL? Yes you might be right cause I just bought this from newegg for almost 500 bucks

9. linked it

775146527_AX1500IREGISTERDUMP.thumb.png.90ee70231579a65fcb55823e16073616.png

attachment.php?attachmentid=30695&d=1502920286

1. You mean the latest CL? Yes you might be right cause I just bought this from newegg for almost 500 bucks

2. linked it

1. I think CL 4.2.4.25 is too old to support single/multi rail and > CL 4.2.4.25 has messed up power reporting for all AXi PSUs.

2. Thank you, it's as I thought and I expect 0xD8 will change from 01 to 00 if you select multi rail mode.

3. Register 0xEC exists on my AX1500i, but not on yours which I was not expecting. This is the per PCIe output OCP enable on my AX1500i, so yours must be different.

4. Please will you press [Copy], paste the text into a file and attach it so I can check all the other PCIe outputs?

5. I wonder what the USB PID of your AX1500i is, please will you post [Link Devices] so I can check? How many PCIe outputs does it have?

6. I will ponder this for a while and then suspect update SIV 5.23 in light of this.

1. I think CL 4.2.4.25 is too old to support single/multi rail and > CL 4.2.4.25 has messed up power reporting for all AXi PSUs.

2. Thank you, it's as I thought and I expect 0xD8 will change from 01 to 00 if you select multi rail mode.

3. Register 0xEC exists on my AX1500i, but not on yours which I was not expecting. This is the per PCIe output OCP enable on my AX1500i, so yours must be different.

4. Please will you press [Copy], paste the text into a file and attach it so I can check all the other PCIe outputs?

5. I wonder what the USB PID of your AX1500i is, please will you post [Link Devices] so I can check? How many PCIe outputs does it have?

6. I will ponder this for a while and then suspect update SIV 5.23 in light of this.

1. I would like my $500 PS properly supported in link showing legit wattage so who do I contact to advise of this issue

5. My power supply only has 5 cables connected ATM 8 pin CPU,24 pin MB and 3 sata power connection cables

AX1500I REGISTER DUMP.txt

LINK DEVICES DUMP.txt

1. I would like my $500 PS properly supported in link showing legit wattage so who do I contact to advise of this issue

4. My power supply only has 5 cables connected ATM 8 pin CPU,24 pin MB and 3 sata power connection cables

1. I feel CL4 should also report my AX1500i power correctly. I was expecting Corsair Blake to get back to you by now and all I can suggest is you contact Corsair support.
  2. I expect the OCP settings possible with your AX1500i are different to what is possible with mine, but to figure out what I would need to have the later PSU model here so I can compare things, maybe Corsair Blake will specify the differences in the OCP options.
  3. What I would do is use CL4 to set the limits to be from 31 -> 40 and also set a few PCIe outputs to have OCP disabled as below and then see what SIV 5.23 Beta-00 reports.
  4. Thank you for the files and information.
  5. I expect I have figured out why SIV reported OCP 20 rather than OCP 40. I also suspect initially that OCP 0 was reported and this then changed to OCP 20 after a second, did it?
  6. This effect was caused by your AX1500i not having a register 0xEC so I have adjusted SIV to allow for this.
  7. The revised code is fine on my system, but the $64,000 question is what will it report on your system. Would you like to test a SIV 5.23 beta?
  8. I expect there is a bug in CL 4.8.0.82 as when I set as below and then use SIV to dump all the registers the OCP setting for all 10 PCIe ports seem to have changed :(:.
  9. If I then closedown CL 4.8.0.82 and start it again then the PCIe ports are back to as they should be :bigeyes:.

Currently I suspect CL 4.8.0.82 has been updated to support your later AX1500i and when Corsair did this OCP support for my older AX1500i regressed :eeeeek:.

attachment.php?attachmentid=30698&stc=1&d=1502949756

199242850_AX1500iOCP12Disabled.thumb.png.5b74464ce7061625e3f0ad8a79b276d8.png

1. I feel CL4 should also report my AX1500i power correctly. I was expecting Corsair Blake to get back to you by now and all I can suggest is you contact Corsair support.
  2. I expect the OCP settings possible with your AX1500i are different to what is possible with mine, but to figure out what I would need to have the later PSU model here so I can compare things, maybe Corsair Blake will specify the differences in the OCP options.
  3. What I would do is use CL4 to set the limits to be from 31 -> 40 and also set a few PCIe outputs to have OCP disabled as below and then see what SIV 5.23 Beta-00 reports.
  4. Thank you for the files and information.
  5. I expect I have figured out why SIV reported OCP 20 rather than OCP 40. I also suspect initially that OCP 0 was reported and this then changed to OCP 20 after a second, did it?
  6. This effect was caused by your AX1500i not having a register 0xEC so I have adjusted SIV to allow for this.
  7. The revised code is fine on my system, but the $64,000 question is what will it report on your system. Would you like to test a SIV 5.23 beta?
  8. I expect there is a bug in CL 4.8.0.82 as when I set as below and then use SIV to dump all the registers the OCP setting for all 10 PCIe ports seem to have changed :(:.
  9. If I then closedown CL 4.8.0.82 and start it again then the PCIe ports are back to as they should be :bigeyes:.

Currently I suspect CL 4.8.0.82 has been updated to support your later AX1500i and when Corsair did this OCP support for my older AX1500i regressed :eeeeek:.

1. tried to login into support but site did not find my login credentials so I posted in RMA forum

5. I did not notice the change in the OCP

6. Sure I can take the beta for a spin the only thing is that since the power supply seems to have change to single rail mode would it introduce instability if I toggled into multi rail mode?

7. Remember that my PS troubles began when I played with the mode toggle which immediately shut down the power supply

8. If it is true that my version of AX1500i is too new to be supported by the latest version of CL then that could be the reason for the unexpected shutdowns when I toggled the multirail setting

1. tried to login into support but site did not find my login credentials so I posted in RMA forum
  2. I did not notice the change in the OCP
  3. Sure I can take the beta for a spin the only thing is that since the power supply seems to have change to single rail mode would it introduce instability if I toggled into multi rail mode?
  4. Remember that my PS troubles began when I played with the mode toggle which immediately shut down the power supply
  5. If it is true that my version of AX1500i is too new to be supported by the latest version of CL then that could be the reason for the unexpected shutdowns when I toggled the multirail setting

1. AFAIK you need different accounts for the forum and support, but I have not used the new system.
  2. OK, I guess you blinked and missed it.
  3. Great, drop the two files in the attached over the top of the 5.22 release and post [Link Power] + [Link Status] and that would probably tell me enough. Doing Menu->File->Save Selected, pressing [Minimal] then [start] and posting the two save files would be ideal. Once I have checked the code is working as I intended I will release the formal Beta-00. If you prefer you can e-mail me the save files and/or screen shots.
  4. I know and suggest you don't change any of the OCP setting 'till Corsair advice you to. It should be impossible for SIV to change the OCP settings and the only thing SIV can change on AXi PSUs is the fan speed.
  5. I expect your PSU is very recent, as I don't have one I have no real idea what CL 4.8.0.82 will do and Corsair support should know more than I do. I feel having two subtly different AX1500i PSUs may end on being a support nightmare for Corsair.

1. AFAIK you need different accounts for the forum and support, but I have not used the new system.
  2. OK, I guess you blinked and missed it.
  3. Great, drop the two files in the attached over the top of the 5.22 release and post [Link Power] + [Link Status] and that would probably tell me enough. Doing Menu->File->Save Selected, pressing [Minimal] then [start] and posting the two save files would be ideal. Once I have checked the code is working as I intended I will release the formal Beta-00. If you prefer you can e-mail me the save files and/or screen shots.
  4. I know and suggest you don't change any of the OCP setting 'till Corsair advice you to. It should be impossible for SIV to change the OCP settings and the only thing SIV can change on AXi PSUs is the fan speed.
  5. I expect your PSU is very recent, as I don't have one I have no real idea what CL 4.8.0.82 will do and Corsair support should know more than I do. I feel having two subtly different AX1500i PSUs may end on being a support nightmare for Corsair.

Do you need the .dmi that was produced or just the .txt

Have Corsair said anything about the strange effects and/or how you should setup OCP?

Thank you and all the SIV changes I made worked as I hoped they would :biggrin:. Once I figure out how OCP is setup/controlled I plan to further improve the SIV code. At the moment the OCP check box check state may be inverted, but at least now all the values are 40 as they should be.

Do you need the .dmi that was produced or just the .txt

Ideally I would like the .DMI file, but even without it have 99% of what I would like. To attach it you need to ZIP it. I only needed one of the .TXT files and both are pretty much the same. Now I have the .TXT files you may as well remove them from the post.

BTW the red blob indicates the Re-allocated Sector Count on your WDC WD2500JS-22NCB1 is > 10 and I advice you to keep an eye on that drive. You can set a higher warning level via [Disk Status].

Archived