Corsair Community

Firmware update 1.3.2 - Force GT 120 GB - Results

matrixbandit

I'm starting this thread so those of us - who had experienced the random BSOD issue that went away when we disabled TRIM - can compare our experiences after installing the 1.3.2 firmware update.

What I did, and what I recommend others do, is to install the updated 1.3.2 firmware as directed here, ensure that it actually did update correctly by rescanning the drives and verifying it now lists the firmware as 1.3.2 and then reboot, and re-enable TRIM support in windows. This post explains how, if you need it: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=86403

Afterwards, since you've likely been running without TRIM for some time, you should probably get and run the ForceTrim.exe tool, which can be found by Googling "SSD trim tool" or "ForceTrim.zip". It is a very simple and completely safe utility that merely creates a few large file entries on the ssd in order to fill the drive's free space, and then deletes them. This, assuming TRIM is enabled on your system, will cause your OS to issue trim commands to the ssd to cleanse the space those large files took up (Specifically, all the free space). After running this, the ssd should be managing this cleanup completely on its own in the background, and may take a few minutes. You really have no way of knowing, other than just coming back later and running a benchmark to see if your write performance has increased. I wouldn't bother, to be honest, as you should probably be more concerned with system stability right now than write performance.

With any luck, your system will now be completely stable and maintain wonderful write performance forever and ever, and double rainbows will fill the sky while we ride off into the sunset eating buckets of crispy bacon with giant smiles on our stupid faces. I did all of the above a few hours ago, and - fingers crossed - I have not suffered any problems whatsoever so far. I used to have numerous BSODS daily before disabling trim. I will be back in a few days to post a followup - much sooner if I experience problems again.

Please share your relevant experiences here so that we can all benefit from each others knowledge!

With any luck, your system will now be completely stable and maintain wonderful write performance forever and ever, and double rainbows will fill the sky while we ride off into the sunset eating buckets of crispy bacon with giant smiles on our stupid faces. I did all of the above a few hours ago, and - fingers crossed -

Good post, looking forward to your updates sitting on my perch atop the

24 hours and counting, so far so good! :biggrin: I am cautiously optimistic.

I've actively used the drive during this time as well - benchmarking, installing/uninstalling programs, booting, etc.

I'll try to leave another update in a week or so, but if not, you can pretty much just assume everything is running smoothly for me now.

After updating to 1.3.2 the update tool still says 1.3 is this right?

At first, yes. Press the "Re-scan drives" button, and when it is done scanning it should now show 1.3.2 in the firmware version column. If it doesn't, make sure you are running the utility with admin privileges (by right-clicking and selecting "Run as administrator"), and make sure you have your system bios set to enable AHCI on whatever sata channel / controller the ssd is plugged in to.

Hi, I have now ran the upate as admin and when clicking "Proceed" my PC just crashes, I tried it twice and luckily both times the data was unaffected. I'm going to take an image of the drive but is there anything I can do to get around this?

Win7 64bit X38 chipset

Hi, I have now ran the upate as admin and when clicking "Proceed" my PC just crashes, I tried it twice and luckily both times the data was unaffected. I'm going to take an image of the drive but is there anything I can do to get around this?

Win7 64bit X38 chipset

Did you try the other tips noted on the download page for the firmware update?

24 hours and counting, so far so good! :biggrin: I am cautiously optimistic.

I've actively used the drive during this time as well - benchmarking, installing/uninstalling programs, booting, etc.

I'll try to leave another update in a week or so, but if not, you can pretty much just assume everything is running smoothly for me now.

It has been almost a week now since updating to firmware 1.3.2 on my Force GT 120gb - So far I have had no problems with instability, and I have been running with TRIM enabled.

Acksaw:

I have experienced some driver issues with my 2 Asus DX sound cards. You may want to consider uninstalling the asus drivers for the DX card, and disabling or removing the card, then trying the firmware update.

Sorry you are having problems.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi mate, sorry for the late reply, has been busy at work, tried removing my sound card and the driver and still crashed with both the 1.3.2 and 1.3.3 driver. Really getting frustrated now as I know one of these daily crashes is going to corrupt a file and cause a reinstall or a loss of data...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived