Corsair Community

Stumped! Recommended Corsair memory won't work...

Mattsky

Hey there. First post, be gentle, and all that. :laughing:

Really at my wit's end trying to get some DDR3 working with my MSI X48C Platinum board. (It takes DDR2 or DDR3.) http://www.msi.com/product/mb/X48C-Platinum.html

It's been great with 2x2GB of Corsair XMS2 DDR2(TWIN2X4096-S400C4DHX) but I've tried to upgrade to 8GB of Corsair XMS3 CMX8GX3M4B1333C9 with no luck.

It's listed as compatible on the site, but I've tried installing it in all four modules, only 1 in all the slots, and all sorts of combinations with and without the DDR2/DDR3 'turbo' cards, but all the system does is turn on, then the monitor goes into standby; nothing is displayed on screen save for the monitor's DELL logo before it goes into standby mode.

It won't even get as far as the boot screen, though system power remains on.

However, the 2x 2GB sticks of Corsair XMS2 DDR2 which when installed in slots #1 and #4 will let me get into the BIOS and boot up Windows fine (though it just recognises 2GB, as it looks as if Slot #1 has now failed.)

I've booted into the BIOS and tried to change memory settings manually, but with no luck(it doesn't give me an option to set the voltage to 1.5 or the CAS to 9 with the DDR2 sticks in. (I have the latest BIOS.)

(I've also tried 2x4GB sticks of ******** ENHANCE which was listed as compatible on their site; that wouldn't boot at all and I RMAd it.)

I'm tearing my hair out.

What can I do? Are there any particular BIOS settings I can try?

I'd really appreciate any advice before I RMA these too (or ditch the board).

Thanks for the quick reply, Peanutz.

That's concerning to hear.

Looking at the modules, they're version 2.13

And there's a check mark (tick) on the packet next to the words AMD PHENOM II.

Should I be worried about either?

And if I'm going to replace the board with another X48/P45 Socket 775 board that supports my CMX8GX3M4B1333C9, will I run into the same problem again?

So far, I've identified these boards that do support it (according to Corsair):

Gigabyte GA-EP45T-EXTREME

Gigabyte GA-EP45T-DS3R

Gigabyte GA-EP45T-UD3LR

Foxconn Blackops x48

ASUS P5E3 Premium

ASUS Maximus Extreme (X38)

ASUS P5Q3

ASUS P5E3 Premium

ASUS Rampage Extreme

And there's a check mark (tick) on the packet next to the words AMD PHENOM II.

Should I be worried about either?

No, dont worry some kits are just labled that way but are still compatible across multiple systems.

And if I'm going to replace the board with another X48/P45 Socket 775 board that supports my CMX8GX3M4B1333C9, will I run into the same problem again?

So far, I've identified these boards that do support it (according to Corsair):

I believe you would If im right on this it's a limitation of the MB and the way the modules are constructed.

Again, plz wait for Ram Guy to confirm before you take this as gospel, but i believe if they are version x.x they will work. If they are version x.xx they would not be compatible. Since yours seem to be the later , im going to say this is the case.

But pease wait for RG to wave his hand over it.:)

• Corsair Employee
I fear you are correct Peanut, Version X.XX will be made with 512m X 8 memory IC's on our DDR3 modules and this chipset cannot see above 256M X 8 memory IC's; I would see if the reseller will let you return them and see if the MB maker can suggest modules that have been tested. If you can find our modules that are version X.X they may work but not X.XX Version.

Bugger. Bugger bugger bugger.

Thanks for your expertise and for finally putting this one to rest, chaps. It's been driving me round the bend.

Given that one of my two DDR2 slots has now packed in, it looks like I'll have to invest in a new mobo, CPU and CPU cooler. Which means I'll have to spend a lot more than I was planning to.

Can't help feeling a little let down by the lack of information from memory manufacturers, though.

In all cases, the DDR3 memory that I've seen or actually bought has been listed as compatible with my board. There's been no warning listed anywhere that 'newer' modules may not be compatible with older boards - which all of the Socket 775s are - so it begs the question: Are ANY new modules really compatible with these older boards?

It's taken me hours of futile testing, RMAs and posting questions to find out that my 'compatible' memory isn't compatible at all, when a simple warning may have warded me off in the first place and saved me quite a bit of grief - and cash.

I really do appreciate the advice you've given. Its finally given me the answer I was looking for. My point is that I think there's a lot more room for memory manufacturers to be a lot more transparent about their product compatibility - especially on such a fundamental compatibility issue as this.

Now - can anyone recommend a decent Core i gaming board that can run my 8GB?

Thanks again, chaps.

Well. sadly as socket 775mb are being phased out and so is support for those products. I'm not sure there is anyone to blame though. You could easily put it on the MB maker for not putting a note or something in the manual or updating their QVL's. But that never happens either. Hell, even update their website would be nice!

The memory makers are kind of bound by what the chip makers are producing. They are constantly moving forward with higher density, faster memory chips and no longer focusing on the older products. That is going to force the memory makers to make some changes along the way.

As far as a good gaming MB. Well, thats depends. Are you talking socket 2011, or 1155 Sandybridge?. But it 's almost impossible to match up MB to memory . You would have to find a MB that you like and then check the QVL to see if your current kit is on it.

Well, someone should be culpable.

Anyhow, I'm going with a P67 board, as the Z68 boards don't seem to support my particular memory. Not that it's a big deal, really. I'm fine with P67.

So now I'm pretty sold on an ASUS P67 Sabertooth/Core i5 Sandy Bridge combo.

having an x58 sabertooth, i cannot recommend it any higher. Build quality and attention to detail just overflows on this board for me. Love it.

I'm in the process of dealing with a second single dead RAM module for my wife's machine (she has a good 2x2gb DDR2 kit to use now thankfully) ... but i'd like to get her back up to 8gb.

Anyhow, hopefully after this (last!) RMA, it will be working. If it does not, i can tell you that the next motherboard I buy will unequivically be the Asus Sabertooth P67.

Good to hear, csemoses. Although the Sabertooth is Marmite when it comes to looks (love it or hate it), there doesn't seem to be any worries about its performance. Just hope that my memory is compatible. (It says so on the Corsair memory finder. But then again, I've been there before...)

• 1 month later...
I fear you are correct Peanut, Version X.XX will be made with 512m X 8 memory IC's on our DDR3 modules and this chipset cannot see above 256M X 8 memory IC's; I would see if the reseller will let you return them and see if the MB maker can suggest modules that have been tested. If you can find our modules that are version X.X they may work but not X.XX Version.

You tell this guy the ram doesn't work then further in your post you refer to "what memory will work in my Motherboard" which directs you to the corsiar configurator which if you input MSI X48C will show this memory as compatible. But no mention of version number. DON'T you think it might be a good idea to actually list this next to the module list to save others having this problem. Especially when it is well known ?

thanks

Styl3r

Archived