Corsair Community

1000D: First Custom Water Loop

Storx

Just wanted to post up that i have made the order for the 1000D case, decided on it because i want to build a new gaming PC based on the Zen 2 release info at CES very soon. I plan on transitioning my current 7 year old gaming rig into a m-ITX mb possibly as the 2nd PC.

So far after some readings, i have decided i want to go the 4 x 480mm rad setup as soon as the trays are available again from corsair.

Currently leaning towards the following:

Single Loop for simplicity....

Rad Front: 2 x HW 480GTX Push (possibly push/pull but seems overkill)

Rad Top: 2 x HW 480GTS Push

Pump: Researching still but aiming at EK D5 PWM pump/res combo

CPU: 2 x EK CPU Blocks

GPU: 2 x EK Full GPU Blocks (2x1080ti EVGA SC Black * already own)

Fans: Noctua NF-P12 redux-1300 PWM (already ordered 8 of these, went Noctua because I have always had better luck out of their fans over other brands, plus they always prove to be quieter than other brands from past experience)

Tube: I am aiming at trying PETG for the first time.

Reason 1 i bought this case:

I have a 7 year old gaming rig in a HAF X case, i have had the worst luck with 200mm fans over the years, the case limits which brand fans i can use and the quality of the 200mm fans just dont last, they have been lasting less and less time between bearing failures or going unbalanced highly. I ordered 3 new 200mm fans twice this year and the first set already started making noise already and the 2nd set had a ticking one right out of the box, so i had to exchange it and trying to claim warranty on fans is a dang joke, took nearly 4 months to get my first fan exchanged by cooler master...

Reason 2 i bought this case:

I learned a lot about fans during my bitcoin mining period, i had purchased lots of 120mm, 140mm, and 200mm fans over that period and the reliability of the 120mm fans are just top notch vs 140mm and 200mm, 200mm being the least reliable. So i wanted a case with 120mm fans for cooling

Reason 3 i bought this case:

I have never watercooled a rig, done air and AIO, but never custom loop so i wanted to give it a try and since i tend to keep computer parts till they die i figured this would probably be my last computer case to own for 10+ years, so wanted the best from the start.

Reason 4 i bought this case:

I absolutely hate a loud computer, when i bought the HAF X case 7+ years ago it was for its silence operation, i have friends with smaller cases that go loud as soon as they start gaming to just maintain ok temps, i went with this case with the idea i can run 4 x 480mm rads with the quietest fans to have overkill on the cooling so i dont have to listen to it run when im using the computer, it is basically used 24hrs of the day or atleast left on, because i work on it during the day and game on it at night when im not working on it. quality quiet computing is my goal.

Sounds like you have a good plan in place.

A couple of comments -

1) Have you considered HydroX? It's not out yet but (hopefully) will be by the time you do this. It's Corsair's custom loop series. They had some teasers on the site previously ... gone now.

2) For the fans, if you want reliability, long life and quiet operation, I would suggest you take a look at the ML series of fans from Corsair. They are very quiet and the magnetic levitation bearing means that there is no friction - so they'll last quite a long time.

Hey Storx,

I am running a 420GTX (top) and a 280GTS (Front) (I went the 140mm fan route) in my 1000D. I highly recommend running the GTX in push/pull config. That is a very thick radiator, unless you get 1800rpm fans, you are hamstringing yourself (I went with the ML140 RGB PROs which are capped at 1200rpm).

I went w/ acryllic and it is a pain. Always cracking when cutting. PETG should be better.

I went with an aquacomputer loop (cuplex NEXT cpu block, kryographics NEXT 2080ti gpu block, D5 NEXT pump, 880ml res). But I would also recommend considering the HydroX from Corsair if you can wait.

Something else to consider... RGB, or LEDs in general. I cannot imagine my 1000D w/o lights. I'm not particularly an RGB fanboy, but the 1000D is too beautiful to not light up and give it the full attention it deserves.

Also, for a loop that big... is a single D5 enough?

Edit: Also, I don't think you can put 2x GTX radiators side-by-side. HWLabs cheats... their rads are wider than everyone else's.

Hey Storx,

I am running a 420GTX (top) and a 280GTS (Front) (I went the 140mm fan route) in my 1000D. I highly recommend running the GTX in push/pull config. That is a very thick radiator, unless you get 1800rpm fans, you are hamstringing yourself (I went with the ML140 RGB PROs which are capped at 1200rpm).

I went w/ acryllic and it is a pain. Always cracking when cutting. PETG should be better.

I went with an aquacomputer loop (cuplex NEXT cpu block, kryographics NEXT 2080ti gpu block, D5 NEXT pump, 880ml res). But I would also recommend considering the HydroX from Corsair if you can wait.

Something else to consider... RGB, or LEDs in general. I cannot imagine my 1000D w/o lights. I'm not particularly an RGB fanboy, but the 1000D is too beautiful to not light up and give it the full attention it deserves.

Also, for a loop that big... is a single D5 enough?

Edit: Also, I don't think you can put 2x GTX radiators side-by-side. HWLabs cheats... their rads are wider than everyone else's.

Thanks for the input, i was actually planning on going with HW labs rads front and top, but things changed. I was researching rads for low fan setups and i found a list from testing that showed the XSPC RX480 cooled like 30% better than the HW Lab GTX480 below 900 rpms which is kinda my goal with the overkill on cooling. SO i started searching them and found a listing on ebay that had 10 of them listed for sale used by some Youtuber who received them for review/builds. He had them listed for $70 each used, but i offered him $250 for 4 of them shipped and he accepted my offer, so i have 4 of them coming. The reason i decided to get 4 of them is because i found another builder with the 1000D case who installed 2 x HW 480GTX in Front w/ push/pull and 2 x HW 480GTS w/ push in the top due to the clearance where the 2 rads meet in the corner, after some measuring and trials with his 480gtx's he showed pictures of mount 480gtx both top and bottom, but you would only be able to place 3 of the 4 fans on the top rad, which i dont really see as being a bad problem because it would promote the case to be more positive pressured and the pressure would force the air out the top no matter what.

So the plan is to run the following..

Front: 2 x XSPC RX480 w/ push/pull

Top: 2 x XSPC RX480 w/ push/pull on 6 out of 8 fans

Also added info, i was told by one member that you can remove the entire fan tray system in the top and run 2 strips of metal bars the length of the top case area and it allows you to shift the top rad more toward the rear of the case and you can fit all 8 fans on the 2 x 480mm rads on the top

Also in regards to the D5 comment, i have been researching and i have found tons of builds from back with SLI was super popular wit tri and quad sli builds on a single D5 pump, so if they could run 1 x CPU, and 4 x GPU on a single D5 without issues back then, i figured 1 x CPU and 2 x GPU may be good for my build. I am still debating adding the 2nd system CPU to the watercooling loop, i have a really nice Corsair H100i AIO on the current Gaming rig CPU that is fairly new that cools the CPU very well, i replaced the fans with Noctua fans, but it cools that CPU to the 40's under full load, i may run it off that 2nd CPU and mount it to the 2 x 240mm fan slots on the rear of the case.

http://thermalbench.com/2018/09/25/xspc-tx480-ultrathin-radiator/4/

Well pulled the trigger on more parts, a forum member PM'd me that Performance PCS was running a 20% off deal with coupon code but it expires 12/25/18 @ midnight so last night just before midnight I purchased a handful of more parts for the build.

1 x EK-XTOP Revo Dual D5 PWM Serial - (incl. 2x pump)

1 x EK-RES X3 250 Lite Reservoir

4 x Gelid PWM 1-to-4 Splitter

3 x EK-HDC Fitting 16mm - Black (6-pack)

5 x Barrow 16/12mm PETG Rigid HardTube (500mm) - Clear

1 x Bitspower Hard Tube Silicone Bending for ID 12MM - 1 meter

I decided after lots of reading on watercooling builds, to go with the Dual D5 setup by EK, read a lot of great reviews from it, many posted that running the pumps @ 0% on the PWM setting for both place the pumps @ 60% and they outflow/pressure a single D5 in a loop with no audible real noise from them, so liked the fact that i would have a redundant pump in case of 1 failing and as well the ability to run them at low rpms combined for silent operation and extended life of the pumps. Most recommend running the PWM curve at 0% from 0-85c, then ramp to 100% from 85-95c. This provides protection in case a pump fails or system trys to overheat.

Also i decided to tackle the art of Rigid Tube, i sat down and wrote out all the fittings i would need on just the 1 single system with the 4 rads, granted i have to wait for the top 8x120mm fan tray becomes available to mounts rads/fans up there.. but after pricing out the straights and 90's i would need to use soft tube in the system without sharp bends it came out to a super expensive amount, the 90 degree bends are just insanely expensive and i was planning on using them to combine the rads together and such, just was more than 50% less to go the PETG route with rigid tube and i bought lots of extra PETG tube so i could practice and have plenty for errors. The PETG tube was only $3 per 500mm. I bought the kits of 6 fittings, because it was the only ones i could find in stock, most of the black fittings in the cheaper prices were all out of stock and i should have enough to complete the entire system. I am going to try my best to learn to form the bends so i dont need 45/90 degree fittings on anything.

I bought the PWM extenders because they were very cheap and with having so many fans, i want to try and use just the single Commander that comes with the case, it comes with 6 fan headers, so each extender would allow me to control 4 fans, so if i put 16 fans on the front and 8 on the top i should be covered with the single commander pro...

I almost purchased the CPU block, but unsure if im going AMD/Intel in the near future yet since im waiting for CES 19 for the AMD 3000 series release info. I am either going AMD 3000 series or Intel 9900k possibly.

I still need to source GPU blocks, the only place i have found them available so far is through EK for $185 ea, little pricey since some of the RTX waterblocks are only $89 ea. I have dual EVGA 1080ti SC Blacks, EK says its compatible with its founders edition blocks, but none of the ones it said it was compatible with were available on Performance PC site that i could find, i still need to research the other block companies to see if they make any for the GPU's or i may be forced to purchase from EK on the GPU blocks.

The plan is to get the case this week, start assembling as much as i can, like fans, rads, pump layout just to see how all that goes, then i pay switch my current gaming rig setup over to the case and just run it on air tell i determine my route for the upgrade CPU in the near future. I still plan to use my old 3570k on a m-ITX motherboard in the system 2 slot since i already have the memory and cpu, just shopping for LGA 1151 m-ITX cases, have bidded on a few used ones on ebay for under $40, a new one runs around $90. If i score a deal on a m-ITX motherboard for the 3570k, i may install the current gaming rig in the system 2 area and just run it with a single GPU till i purchase the parts for the new gaming setup.

After some research i found out Heat Killer had GPU blocks compatible with my EVGA 1080ti SC Black cards, so i called up performance PC to see if they shipped my order, they had not and they allowed me to add the GPU blocks $100ea + GPU bridge, they also offered me a special rate on a heat killer cpu block $55 that works with my old 3570k, so went ahead and picked it up along with drain line hardware they recommended since they noticed i had basically ordered an entire system loop worth of parts, so i picked up a ball valve, coupling, and soft tube fitting along with 2 feet of tube to use for draining and filling.

2 x HEATKILLER® IV for TITAN X and EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC

1 x Watercool GPU-X Dual-Link

1 x HEATKILLER® IV PRO LGA115x - Acetal Clean

1 x XSPC Ball Valve - Black

1 x Alphacool Double Nipple G1/4" Outer Thread to G1/4" Outer Thread Revolvable - Deep Black

1 x Barrowch Compression Fitting(ID3/8-OD1/2)Soft Tubing - Black

2 x Alphacool Tube AlphaTube HF 13/10 (3/8"ID-OD1/2") (per foot)

• 2 weeks later...

Well had some good and bad news the past week, more of the parts showed up i ordered for the build, but I had an issue with the Corsair 1000D i purchased off amazon as repackaged used part "Like New", when it arrived it was in an awkwardly huge box with lots of crushed areas on the box. When I opened the box the front glass section is loose from the frame on the bottom 2 mounts, just being supported by the top, appears they are held on by glue or epoxy. The back glass door has a nasty chip and scratch in the surface which does not wipe off and there are parts of the case missing that are needed for the build like 1 of the 2 doors for the cable management area are missing along with 4 nasty drilled holes in the case as if the case was mounted to something like maybe it was a floor display model. Just overall the case was in very poor shape between missing parts and scratches all over. Anyways I contacted Amazon about it since their definition of "like new" is clearly different from what mine is and they worked it out with me by shipping me a replacement NEW unopened as a replacement which should come Monday. I am glad we could work it out, just annoying that I have to tote this big thing to a UPS store to ship it back . It is extremely awkward in that repackaged box, very loose and moves around a lot inside the box, overall poor shipping packaging.

45874117734_df1bd96e6a_z_d.jpg

44780563340_944c5d2c95_z_d.jpg

Anyways, i started to play around with the placement of parts a little to see what i should do with the top radiators. I mounted 1 rad to the front bracket and quickly realized i cant mount it together with the halo installed, the thickness of the halo portion makes the screw end just short of exiting the fan, so unable to mount w/halo currently, but i did toss in 4 screws with a fan in place to see how it sits and noticed very quickly there is no way at all to mount the other 2 x rx 480's in the top. The radiator does not fit on the bracket due to the lips on the sides so the only way it would mount to the top bracket is in a pull configuration, but not exactly happy with that setup. Even with the fans attached in pull configuration, there is no room to run the front radiator with the fittings on the top due to the extra space it takes up, so you would be forced to run it with the fittings on the bottom, even then its will not clear by 1/8th of an inch.. Just no room for that thick radiator up top. So thinking i will order 2 x HW Labs 480GTS for the top and just use the nicer of the 4 rads in the system as they all 4 have a few bent fins, but overall seem in really good shape for used for $65/ea. Just have backups for now or maybe sell down the road.

31657231547_90cd21a7bc_z_d.jpg

45683867655_2edfffc96e_z_d.jpg

45683872355_b78a4ff112_z_d.jpg

32723995368_b1ee9cf8d6_z_d.jpg

32723994558_cb60f58276_z_d.jpg

Well did some measurements, it seems i need a 34-35mm long screw since the radiator screws are 30mm to clear the halo's and mount into the radiator. Did a little searching and the only place i could find 6-32 x 35mm screws was by Phobya they are listed by pairs of 4 for $2.50/ea, so the 32 i would need would end up around $25 bucks. Did some searching on Amazon and found some 1-3/8 long ones which is just over 34mm long, so should do the trick for me. Went ahead and placed an order for them.

31657233157_37e7c5bdec_z_d.jpg

45683869545_fe4960ce74_z_d.jpg

45683868675_1e0e71a391_z_d.jpg

31657232287_b77a3e2e82_z_d.jpg

32724512428_ef88fdb9a9_z_d.jpg

Well after doing some thinking i am leaning more toward option 3, but wanted to get some input from the masses. Do you think its best to put all the rad inputs towards the front of the case to reduce chances of coolant leak damage in the future if it was ever to happen?

Option 1: This has the front rads with fittings faced down and top rad with the fittings in the back.

45684635265_51a1cc235b_z_d.jpg

Option 2: This has the front rads with the fittings faced up and the top rad with the fittings in the back.

31658097677_8edf536417_z_d.jpg

Option 3: This has the front rads with the fittings faced up and the top rad with the fittings in the front.

45684634695_89f8f593aa_z_d.jpg

Went ahead and ordered I think is the remaining parts ill need to complete the entire water cooling system. Noticed that Performance PC had sent out a new years holiday coupon to me in an email because I was a previous customer, so I went ahead and did the order to assure I didn't lose out on the discount code and save a little.

1 x 1000ml Filling Bottle

2 x HW Labs 480GTS

10 x Barrow 90 degree rotary adapter fitting

1 x Bitspower T-Block triple G1/4 fitting

8 x Noctua NF-P12 redux-1300 PWM

I went ahead and ordered 10 of the 90 degree fittings, because after looking at the pictures a few of the fittings areas like on the rads are in very very cramped areas and figured the 90 degree fittings would make life easier running the tubing plus they were on sale for only $5ea, also a few others benefited from a 90 fitting, so decided to order what I needed plus 1 extra to make life easier since the pricing on them was reasonable to make tube bending easier on myself.

Also picked up a filler, because I don't see an easy way to add a filler anywhere except at the top of the coolant res, so decided to get a filler to make filling it in the case easier down the road, plus the chemicals I purchased to treat the system are based on 1L mixing, so got the larger 1L bottle to make it simpler to mix up fluids.

Also i picked up a T-Block, because i noticed the pump isnt going to be the lowest part in the system, so gonna T into the line going to the CPU 2

Well received more of the parts, started to play with the top rad setup and found that the HW Lab 480GTS don't actually mount like others had told me in the tray, comes to my attention that i had to flex them in, i truly hope that the bracket will work similarly on the front panel with the larger rads, will see when i get my next shipment of fans in the mail tomorrow... but ultimately unhappy with the fitment of the rad/fan setup on these fan trays.. just poorly designed.

32748587598_2e38b7e28f_z_d.jpg

32748589808_336bbcc057_z_d.jpg

32748588808_6118dfa3e2_z_d.jpg

32748587938_2e6299f1c8_z_d.jpg

I didn't like the idea of going push only on the fans for exhaust, so i spent some time with a precision file and notched the holes some so i could use the wider HW Labs 480GTS rad, i also bent the edges of the fan tray up to clear the edges of the radiator. This part didnt turn out as nice, as i was trying to use a pair of pliers with tape wraped around the teeth, but it isnt noticable really unless your looking directly at it. Plus the top tray will be buried up in the top with a view of the radiator only really. Im awaiting the rest of my fans to come in today, they were out of stock for a few weeks and just got around to sending me the rest of the ones i ordered, so when they come in ill start to tackle the front rads with hopes of using fans first will prevent me from having to mod them, i am so glad i managed to get an extra tray right before xmas, because this is giving me plenty to go while the rest of the parts come in the mail. Still awaiting the info on the Zen 2 launch info before i make a decision on the computer components going inside, for now im just working on the cooling system

39668453333_8dab6004f2_z_d.jpg

45908865794_b2bae01621_z_d.jpg

Well spent some more time on the parts the today, got the front rad setup assembled and did some test fitting, its tight but very do-able. Im thinking to make my life easier i should use extensions to get the tube out of the tight area on the top rad so i can access it easier to assemble. Based on just eyeballing it, it looks like i need like a 22-24mm extension to place it in the middle of the gap, then was thinking of using another extension to extend it pass the front rad.

Also going to post the pictures differently, had a few complaints that the pictures i posted were to small.

50283617_10158395670917575_73703077613404160_o.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-2.xx&oh=6ae90dd155600261700f6dd10b60370b&oe=5CBD28F2

49210896_10158395670772575_8917181834048045056_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-2.xx&oh=cf1badffb08e618c057f31a4a8782f27&oe=5CBB1A3A

49946762_10158395670757575_4834813486464761856_o.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-2.xx&oh=71d4c7f2163bf0739f20ddedefe57731&oe=5CB84B7C

Had some progress on the build, lots of playing around with fittings for the correct needs, right now i just have the case sitting on my office floor running both pumps on just the radiator loop with distilled water w/ dawn dish soap..... Dummy me i spent the time cleaning out the XSPC rads when I got them in the mail, but completely forgot to clean the HW Labs upper rads until i already had all the fans and rads installed with partial loop installed, so decided to get some practice in bending tube and assemble a temp loop of just the rads, then run it for a day or so, then drain it and finish the loop.

The plan for now is to take my old gaming PC and transplant it into the case for now as i continue to shop for the m-ITX motherboard for it used. Then run it on the watercooled loop for a a few months tell the new Ryzen 3000 series are released. The recent release at CES19 along with new engineer samples popping up online of a 16 core variant with clocks of 4.8Ghz, want to wait out for those CPU's to come out and more than likely order one of them to complete the build in regards to the gamer rig.

As for the 2nd rig, just because the new CPU's im aiming to get has a potential of 16 cores with possibly 5.0Ghz plus, i may hold out on putting that system in the rig, since the rig should be able to do everything on its own with that powerful of a CPU, so when i made my last fittings order through performance PC, i ordered the AM4 bracket kit that allows me to use the heatkillers CPU block i already ordered on the AM4 platform also if i go that route.

The waterloop is soooooo quiet that i cant even hear it running with the side panel off the case while running... just silky quiet. Inserted video at the bottom, will include link to it here.. https://www.facebook.com/storxusmc/videos/10158419473727575/

50124831_10158419474107575_6301234953338224640_o.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-2.xx&oh=3d979a5f4538e590d7a3333651892796&oe=5CC0719F

50249850_10158419473922575_7391972070302679040_o.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-2.xx&oh=6f967d6dfe0d1a406239dc1cfc688087&oe=5CC96F49

50612207_10158419473867575_2793114921619947520_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-2.xx&oh=d16ad4e852e8b65e139f560c72d0e2a1&oe=5CCCC776

50182984_10158419473892575_6959960529976688640_o.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-2.xx&oh=57354999b6bfaafdbbfa41bb9dc9373b&oe=5CB84F36

50431434_10158419474127575_9010724237480034304_o.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-2.xx&oh=d4ce1fd3b70edb096084da1ffc3409a8&oe=5CC72776

Well had the night off from work, so took the time to transplant the old gaming rig over to the new case so i can enjoy the case for a few months tell Ryzen 3000 series comes out to make my decision on my next CPU, Really amazed by the temps, im hitting max temps of 32c CPU and 27c GPU while gaming on it with CPU overclocked to 5.0Ghz (3570k). Right now i have the Fans all setup on 300rpms from 0c to 50c, then ramps to 1300rpms up to 100c. Also have the fans maxed out running at 100% to get the air out of the system, noticed that after adding the CPU and GPU block i got way more bubbles in the system compared to running it with just pump and rads.

I did run into an issue, the plug on the phantek halo lux's is not compatible with the commander pro, so i need to find an adapter to connect the daisychain of halo's to the command pro.

50418367_10158424598932575_1720494839998447616_o.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-2.xx&oh=0bca04bdef0f0cb7e735659dc5acf24d&oe=5CCAF836

50605840_10158424598962575_8694108594267750400_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-2.xx&oh=93b6a926f732853cc567c24955f83456&oe=5CD0F6D5

• 2 weeks later...

Im extremely impressed with the cooling capacity of this waterloop, i cant even hear a single sound from the PC while streaming my games and its maintaining near passive cooling levels, fans just running at 0% fixed rpm keeps the loop under CPU under 35c while streaming... unfortunately the commander pro does not turn the fans off completely below 300rpms, i know when i had the same fan plugged into motherboard for testing i could drop rpms to 0rpms and the fan physically turned off, which was my aim at doing when the pc is sitting idle or just surfing the web, turn the fans down based off a curve and wake up as temps rise.. but commander pro seems to be limited at this... I have the fans setup to start ramping up starting at 40c on the CPU from 0 rpms, then hit max fan speed by 85c, the D5 pumps i just have them set at 35% fixed rpms, while playing with the computer anything above 35% did not change the temps of the system at all unless the fans speeds are increased. I can bump pumps to 100% and keep the fans at 0% (roughly 300rpms) and the temps dont change, but 35% was the sweet spot in my system before it raised 1c in temps.

This is screenshot of my temps while streaming League of Legends to twitch.tv

50669977_10158441378817575_7603318430162223104_o.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-2.xx&oh=d5e6308b05a467f8ce796c39951fe6a1&oe=5CBBE014

Archived