The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Cooling

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2018, 07:20 PM
Rob86's PC Specs

POST ID # = 948639
Rob86 Reputation: 10

Apologies for the lag between posts. I got a nasty cold that kept me from doing much the last couple of days. The lacklustre AIO pump performance is still an issue. How do I determine which fan header is the one connected to the AIO and where within the ASUS motherboard BIOS do I change the settings?

Old 04-04-2018, 07:32 PM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 948640
c-attack c-attack Reputation: 103

Coming off the pump block should be a thin wire with a"3 pin" size connector. It shoud like a common fan wire. It surely is currently connected to one of the motherboard headers. Most people are going to want it on CPU_FAN.

Enter the BIOS. If in the E-Z BIOS, select the Q-Fan box below. Then select the CPU FAN header (or wherever it is connected). Then select 'Full Speed". This is the same as the "disabled" setting in the Advanced BIOS. That will make the pump run at 100% and prevent other BIOS level features from cutting the power.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:24 PM
Rob86's PC Specs

POST ID # = 948649

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-attack View Post
Coming off the pump block should be a thin wire with a"3 pin" size connector. It shoud like a common fan wire. It surely is currently connected to one of the motherboard headers. Most people are going to want it on CPU_FAN.

Enter the BIOS. If in the E-Z BIOS, select the Q-Fan box below. Then select the CPU FAN header (or wherever it is connected). Then select 'Full Speed". This is the same as the "disabled" setting in the Advanced BIOS. That will make the pump run at 100% and prevent other BIOS level features from cutting the power.
Ah, I see now. The pump is connected to its own dedicated, "AIO Pump" header on the motherboard. The problem I have in the BIOS is that I can only manipulate AIO Pump speed manually. Doing so does nothing to change the pumps performance.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp AIO Pump BIOS.BMP (3.00 MB, 98 views)

Last edited by Rob86; 04-04-2018 at 08:25 PM. Reason: forgot to add attachment

Old 04-04-2018, 08:36 PM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 948651

Technically, that should work and any header can theoretically supply the 12v (or a molex from PSU, etc.). So what is the pump speed in Link now?

Now that said, there are some reasons to favor one or another. I am not sure why you can't select full speed for the AIO Header pump. It may be that it is already "disabled" in the Adv. BIOS (that should be the default setting) and thus will not accept Q-Fan control inputs. Again, that is fine. There might be some small differences between your Z370 and my Code with some of the options. Still this should work, but watch out for "Fan tuning" options in the BIOS or power saving features. These typically override manual settings for fan/pump points. Incidentally, there is nothing special about the AIO header. It is a CHA fan header renamed and then set to 100%. Marketing ploy and I would rather have the CHA fan header. On some boards, you can go into the Adv BIOS and turn the AIO or W_PUMP header back into a CHA fan header for normal fan use.

The same cannot be said for CPU_FAN. That is a special header, something usually must be on there to boot up (what is there for you?), and it is limited to CPU temp only control on Asus boards. For those reasons, this is usually still the best choice for the AIO, if it has its own fan controller on the pump. You get a boot error if the pump doesn't start, you can't really use it for case fans unless you like to see them race up and down, and something needed to be there anyway.

It works both ways. Lets get a pump speed and see what is going on.

Old 04-04-2018, 09:16 PM
Rob86's PC Specs

POST ID # = 948653

I figured "AIO Pump" header was used for something different beforehand. OK, when I rebooted my computer the pump the performance has become a little better. Not quite as high as I would expect for 'performance' setting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Link AIO Pump RPM.JPG (181.1 KB, 94 views)

Old 04-04-2018, 10:26 PM
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 948662
DevBiker Reputation: 83

That is definitely low for the performance setting on that pump. You should be seeing ~3000 RPM or so. Which would tend to indicate that the pump isn't getting the full 12V. That's the key thing that you need as c-attack pointed out ... a full 12V of power. If you've done anything to muck about with the AIO_PUMP header in an attempt to control the pump speeds, that'll put it right out ... you need to have it set to 100% at all times.

Take a look at the FAQ for the liquid coolers in my signature. The section on the Fan Header Powered pumps definitely applies to your cooler.

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Old 04-05-2018, 09:40 PM
Rob86's PC Specs

POST ID # = 948783

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevBiker View Post
That is definitely low for the performance setting on that pump. You should be seeing ~3000 RPM or so. Which would tend to indicate that the pump isn't getting the full 12V. That's the key thing that you need as c-attack pointed out ... a full 12V of power. If you've done anything to muck about with the AIO_PUMP header in an attempt to control the pump speeds, that'll put it right out ... you need to have it set to 100% at all times.

Take a look at the FAQ for the liquid coolers in my signature. The section on the Fan Header Powered pumps definitely applies to your cooler.
The cable connected to the AIO Pump header is solidly in there and I did not pull or twist it if I take your meaning. Readings are still no higher than 2040 on performance settings in Corsair link. Any idea of what I should do next? Switch the fan and AIO Pump headers?

Last edited by Rob86; 04-05-2018 at 09:43 PM.

Old 04-06-2018, 02:02 AM
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 948805

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob86 View Post
The cable connected to the AIO Pump header is solidly in there and I did not pull or twist it if I take your meaning. Readings are still no higher than 2040 on performance settings in Corsair link. Any idea of what I should do next? Switch the fan and AIO Pump headers?
No, in the BIOS. The header that the pump is attached to needs to be at full power at all times. The easiest way to do this with the Asus board is to disable Q-Fan control for the AIO Pump header.

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Old 04-06-2018, 02:34 PM
Rob86's PC Specs

POST ID # = 948867

Quote:
No, in the BIOS. The header that the pump is attached to needs to be at full power at all times. The easiest way to do this with the Asus board is to disable Q-Fan control for the AIO Pump header.
OK, I went into the BIOS under "Monitor" in Advanced settings and found Q Fan Configuration. Under that includes AIO PUMP Control. I disabled that but it didn't change anything according to Corsair Link.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp AIO Pump 'disabled' BIOS.BMP (3.00 MB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg Link snip.JPG (122.0 KB, 91 views)

Old 04-06-2018, 02:45 PM
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 948871

a) Your pump is connected to the AIO_PUMP header on the motherboard, correct?
b) Where are the cooler's fans plugged in?
c) What do you have plugged in to the CPU Fan header?

Old 04-06-2018, 04:36 PM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 948885

I assume the fans from the radiator are connected to CPU FAN and OPT. Builders sometimes do this to avoid any set-up issues with the needed control program (Link). Nothing is on the pump controller and thus a zero reading.

Yes, something has changed in Link. When we started talking about this, your pump speed was 1200 rpm. Now it is 2000, which is the standard 'balanced' speed setting. I do see a minimum registered value of 11xx in one screenshot, but I would not base any action on that. It could easily pick up that speed count on a wake from sleep or something else. Big difference from consistently running at 1200 rpm.

Old 04-06-2018, 04:48 PM
Rob86's PC Specs

POST ID # = 948890

Quote:
a) Your pump is connected to the AIO_PUMP header on the motherboard, correct?
b) Where are the cooler's fans plugged in?
c) What do you have plugged in to the CPU Fan header?
a) That is correct.
b) As far as I can tell they are plugged into the CPU FAN Header if I eyeball it with the case side panel off. I don't want to take it apart just yet if I can help it but to be 100% sure I would have remove the AIO resevoir block as it makes it awkward to see.
c) It looks like the AIO fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-attack View Post
I assume the fans from the radiator are connected to CPU FAN and OPT. Builders sometimes do this to avoid any set-up issues with the needed control program (Link). Nothing is on the pump controller and thus a zero reading.

Yes, something has changed in Link. When we started talking about this, your pump speed was 1200 rpm. Now it is 2000, which is the standard 'balanced' speed setting. I do see a minimum registered value of 11xx in one screenshot, but I would not base any action on that. It could easily pick up that speed count on awake from sleep or something else. Big difference from consistently running at 1200 rpm.
The number has been flying around 1200 rpm to 2830 RPM if I set the pump to "Performance" mode in Link. One thing I have noticed is that if I set the CPU fan to max in BIOS the AIO Pump gets higher rpm as well. Weird coincidence? Probably nothing but I wanted to mention it. Corsair Support believes the pump is failing so I may very well RMA it after all. I can only hope a replacement is better.

Last edited by Rob86; 04-10-2018 at 10:27 PM.

Tags
fans, h100i v2., noise