Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Corsair Link

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-19-2017, 08:49 AM
Banned
red-ray's PC Specs

POST ID # = 912393
red-ray Reputation: 81
Happy 8 x 32 temptation - 72 down 184 to go

I kept seeing 8 x 32 and the temptation was too great.

At the moment only the first 72 LEDs can be controlled an I am hoping a future firmware release will allow more.

Quote:
I plan to wait and see for a while, but suspect a solution involving solder may be needed.

Attached Images
File Type: png 8 x 32 - 72 down 184 to go.png (349.7 KB, 1281 views)

Old 08-01-2017, 02:53 PM
Banned
red-ray's PC Specs

POST ID # = 914221
Idea Using XXXX HUE+ LEDs with a CLCP or CLNP

Quote:
I was asked if XXXX HUE+ LEDs will work when connected to a CLCP as if they would the member would be tempted to get a CLCP so he could control them with SIV.

Looking at https://forum.level1techs.com/t/nzxt...-inside/104836 it says they are WS2812B and the signals are:

CLCP/CLNP NameXXXX HUE+ NameLED NameDescription
Pin 3 5V5V +5 Volts Power
Pin 2 DI In / Out Control Signal
Pin 1 GND GND Ground
NAADCFD10 Ohm Resistor from between FD/ADC and Ground.
  1. The controller detects the amount of LEDstrips through a simple voltage-divider. 4 strips = 40 LEDS have 2.5 Ohms of resistance.
  2. That means, that you can easily get different WS2812 (b) LED strips and that you can use them with this controller if you only use 40 LEDS per channel and if you solder a specific amount of resistance between GND and ADC. 2.5Ohms for 40 LEDs.
  1. HUE+ uses the ADC to GND resistance to know how many LED strips are connected, but the CLCP/CNLP do not and you need to tell the control software how many there are.
  2. If you forget about ADC and hook up the XXXX LEDs they should just work.
  3. I don't have any XXXX LEDs to try this, but am 99.42% sure they will work.
Quote:

Last edited by red-ray; 08-01-2017 at 05:39 PM. Reason: XXXX

Old 08-02-2017, 10:41 AM
Disabled Veteran
Bob Pilette's PC Specs

POST ID # = 914298
Bob Pilette Reputation: 10

Ray, here is what I found out by playing with my Hue+ setup. I am currently using v3.3.4 of their software which is currently the latest version.

!. FD/ADC is not even used. I accidentally broke a FD pin off of an extension cable between the 1st and 2nd strip on a 4 strip channel. It did not affect the detection of strips at all.

2. Hue+ software only detects changes during initial software startup.

3. One of the strips I disconnected showed discolored LEDs. All strips are still working and my computer typically runs 24/7 so I will have to keep an eye on things.

4. Controller remembers settings as long as it has USB power. I noticed this when I shut off the PS and pulled the plug for a "cold" boot.

5. So based on this I believe they should work on a CLCP ignoring the FD pin on the strip.

Bob

Last edited by Bob Pilette; 08-02-2017 at 10:47 AM.

Old 08-19-2017, 03:59 AM
Banned
red-ray's PC Specs

POST ID # = 916755
Arrow CLNP V0.4.94 firmware and SIV 5.23 Beta-01

As the CLNP V0.4.94 firmware allows 96 rather than 72 LEDs I have updated SIV to allow for this. It still only allows a total of 6 strips, but it's now possible to control 6 x 16 LED strips.

Quote:
LEDs 0 -> 95 are as expected, but the remainder are not. Prior to the CLNP V0.4.94 firmware all the remainder were black/off.

Attached Images
File Type: png 6x16=96-0.png (86.4 KB, 2051 views)
File Type: png 6x16=96-1.png (336.9 KB, 3118 views)

Old 01-23-2018, 05:10 PM
Freeblazin's PC Specs

POST ID # = 937043
Freeblazin Reputation: 10

Is it possible to wire addressable LED strips in parallel on the same channel?

I am wiring up a few strips to light up the reservoirs in my new build and have two vertical channels per reservoir that will hold 7 leds per strip. I would like to have each pair of the two 7 led strips in sync as one addressable unit.

I have wired up a single 7 LED strip to the Lighting Node Pro for initial testing, but I'm hesitant on testing the parallel config as I'm not sure if the SPI interface protocol allows for that and don't want to damage the controller.

Old 01-24-2018, 07:52 AM
SpeedyV's PC Specs

POST ID # = 937159
SpeedyV Reputation: 41

Huh. Never tried it. Don't know if it will work but I doubt it would damage anything. If you do try it please do post your results. Google may turn up something.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:48 PM
Freeblazin's PC Specs

POST ID # = 937281
Freeblazin Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyV View Post
Huh. Never tried it. Don't know if it will work but I doubt it would damage anything. If you do try it please do post your results. Google may turn up something.
I decided to go ahead and test the parallel setup and yes, the strips synchronize successfully in parallel!! Now to see if you can chain parallel sections in serial on each channel.

Old 03-15-2018, 12:40 PM
Dodo the Spaceman
dorbot's PC Specs

POST ID # = 944918
dorbot Reputation: 10

I noticed these LED strips are directional. First time I got lucky, but the second strip didn't work at first because I was starting from the wrong end.
The strips have arrows on them. Didn't see that mentioned anywhere before.

I played around in SIV with 96 led strips but really 96 led strips are too long to be practical. I had some high density LEDs too and that was about the right length if using 96 LEDs but Corsair link 4 only addresses 40 which is about a foot long.

So, I too am hoping Corsair allow more LEDs in firmware, so that high density strips are more practical.

I like the parallel wiring mentioned above, but I think we need to watch the current draw. Is there a reachable current limit per channel? If we are powering our Node Pros or link Commander Pros via SATA?

Last edited by dorbot; 03-15-2018 at 12:53 PM.

Old 03-15-2018, 01:18 PM
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 944923
DevBiker Reputation: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorbot View Post
I noticed these LED strips are directional. First time I got lucky, but the second strip didn't work at first because I was starting from the wrong end.
The strips have arrows on them. Didn't see that mentioned anywhere before.

I played around in SIV with 96 led strips but really 96 led strips are too long to be practical. I had some high density LEDs too and that was about the right length if using 96 LEDs but Corsair link 4 only addresses 40 which is about a foot long.

So, I too am hoping Corsair allow more LEDs in firmware, so that high density strips are more practical.

I like the parallel wiring mentioned above, but I think we need to watch the current draw. Is there a reachable current limit per channel? If we are powering our Node Pros or link Commander Pros via SATA?
The limit on current draw for the SATA 5V rail is 4.5V. Some of that is used for the MCU in the NoPro but exactly how much isn't exactly clear. It's pretty safe to be able to go up to 60 LEDs per connection (6 of the Corsair strips). Over that you start getting into dangerous territory.

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Old 03-15-2018, 01:46 PM
Dodo the Spaceman
dorbot's PC Specs

POST ID # = 944929
dorbot Reputation: 10

I think siv estimates the current in amps drawn per channel, but I don't know what the total limit is.

Anyway, I've decided to use Link 4 for the LED's at the moment and to just use 40 per channel for now because frankly I'm struggling to fit it all in the case.

I'll need to buy some more strips at VAST expense from China if I want to use Siv to control everything with 96 ( or more later I hope) led strips. I might put a long strip along both sides and the back of the desk or maybe 2 in opposite directions for the true pimp look. But my computer already looks like some kind of seedy neon brothel from a dystopian sci-fi future.....

EDIT : 4.5 Amps is the SATA 5 Volt current limit apparently, correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by dorbot; 03-15-2018 at 05:22 PM.

Old 03-15-2018, 05:58 PM
SpeedyV's PC Specs

POST ID # = 944946
SpeedyV Reputation: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorbot View Post
I think siv estimates the current in amps drawn per channel, but I don't know what the total limit is.

Anyway, I've decided to use Link 4 for the LED's at the moment and to just use 40 per channel for now because frankly I'm struggling to fit it all in the case.

I'll need to buy some more strips at VAST expense from China if I want to use Siv to control everything with 96 ( or more later I hope) led strips. I might put a long strip along both sides and the back of the desk or maybe 2 in opposite directions for the true pimp look. But my computer already looks like some kind of seedy neon brothel from a dystopian sci-fi future.....

EDIT : 4.5 Amps is the SATA 5 Volt current limit apparently, correct me if I'm wrong.
Yes its 4.5 amps total for the Commander Pro.

You can make your own cable so only ground and data come from the Commander Pro (or Lighting Node Pro). Take the 5VDC pin from the LEDs and tie it to a 5VDC ouptut from the system power supply. I have done this and it works. That way, the drive current is not flowing through the Commander Pro (or Lighting Node Pro).

I have never tried putting stips in parallel so good to know that it works. I would not try doing it with more than 2 strips in parallel though. It might work...

I only use SIV for control of my Link products. I have a total of 261 LEDs running in my rig - 159 under SIV control and 102 under Asus AURA control (plus the MOBO LEDs). I have 3 different Corsair fan types and 114 WS2812B LEDs divided into several strips. I have a Commander Pro, 2 Lighting Node Pros, and and LED hub for the fans. Those high density WS2812B strips do get awfully bright. I just cut one up into smaller sections and soldered connectors on the ends (which is kind of hard to do on those strips).

It all works great though I do have some of the high density strips dialed back to 60% brightness due to current limitation concerns. I am pretty sure that Link could not control all of this the way SIV can. SIV can do everything Link does except the software playback for LL series fans. It can also do a lot of things Link cannot do, though there are other limitations imposed by the Commander Pro and Lighting Node Pro firmware that you just can't get around.

Anyway, it's good to see people exploring, trying new things, and pushing the limits. If anyone is interested, I posted more details about this LED crazy rig here.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=174049

Have fun everyone! And watch those current limitations.

Old 11-02-2018, 09:28 AM

POST ID # = 978610
CrazyAngel1990 Reputation: 10

So if I understood correctly is it possible to connect any addressable led strip do I make the right connections?

Old 11-02-2018, 09:32 AM
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 978613

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAngel1990 View Post
So if I understood correctly is it possible to connect any addressable led strip do I make the right connections?
Yes ... and as long as you keep the current limitations in mind.

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Old 11-02-2018, 11:27 AM

POST ID # = 978645
CrazyAngel1990 Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevBiker View Post
Yes ... and as long as you keep the current limitations in mind.
What would be the limitations?

Because I would like to put a strip across the desk so I can command it from the icue software but I would almost always keep it one color, would it be possible?

Old 11-02-2018, 11:30 AM
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 978646

It's limited to 4.5A overall; so little over 2.0A for each channel.

And yes, that's certainly possible. Check out Zotty's setup in the RGB FAQ.