The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Cooling

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-28-2016, 08:55 PM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 880547
c-attack c-attack Reputation: 103

Hmm.. the only thing I can think of is the fan headers in Q-Fan in the E-Z BIOS are set to DC mode and then that control box is having trouble with the reduced voltage. Make sure the three box headers are set to PWM. The exact fan profile (Standard, Turbo, Quiet, Full) should not matter after that -- other than for the 17 seconds in takes Windows to load up. I don't know about the Z170 BIOS, but the X99 coloring is a bit counter-intuitive on the PWM vs DC selection. The color scheme and makes it seems like on should be off and vice-versa. You know you are on the PWM mode when the standard fan curve goes down to 25%. On DC mode is has a minimum of 60%.

Don't feel too bad about missing out on the Corsair RGBs. It would set you back quite a bit at the current prices. Also, the controller scheme works a little different. I don't have any either, but it's not exactly the same as the Riing. This might also be of interest... I picked up a black 740 just to check it out. It more or less addresses all of the shortcoming on the 540, particularly the bottom area. Of note, the bottom feet are completely removable and I really like that case on it's side, perhaps even better than the standard position. Native bottom fan placements help it looks much better and I can put it on my right hand side without fussing about the bottom. It's only available in black right now, but I though I would pass that along. I am back in my white 540, with good old fashioned R-G-Wh SP/AF140 LEDs for the holidays. Maybe I am being nostalgic, but this very simple arrangement is rather pleasing.

Old 01-20-2019, 04:20 PM
jdj9's PC Specs

POST ID # = 990687
jdj9 Reputation: 10

So, after a very long time i finally found the solution to this annoying issue. Firstly, the radiator fans where configured to respond to the 'CPU package' instead of the 'H110i GT temp', being the temp of the liquid in the radiator, just like mentioned above. I changed it to the latter and the problem was solved partially. This was a long time ago. I am not sure if the version of Corsair Link played any part in this. I'll try the newest version and report back. However, the case fans continued to rev up and down and i could not find the solution until now. I got used to it but lately it started annoying me again. So, in the BIOS/UEFI, the chassis fans where also set to respond according to the CPU temp/activity. I changed it from 'CPU' to 'motherboard' and the problem was solved (DC mode). I feel stupid that this hasn't crossed my mind for so long.