The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Cases

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2019, 04:56 PM
PrimeBuilder's PC Specs

POST ID # = 987834
PrimeBuilder Reputation: 10
Default Crystal 280X 6 Fan Setup Question

I'm trying to figure out how to use the bottom two fans in this case. If I use them as an intake, then it will blow the expelled GPU heat back onto the GPU card and increase ambient temps inside the case. Using the bottom two fans as exhaust doesn't make sense either, since you're going against the natural properties of hot air(hot air rises), and trying to blow hot air down - which would seem to hover there due to the small spacing at the bottom of the case, and then be recycled back into the case? The official video Shows the bottom two fans being used as exhaust fans.

The two fans on my EVGA RTX 2080 are opposite facing the two bottom fans. What is the optimal configuration for the bottom 2 fans?

2 in front - intake
2 up top - exhaust
2 on bottom - ??

Old 01-01-2019, 05:03 PM
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 987836
DevBiker Reputation: 83

Intake. It'll help blow cooler air over the GPU and force warm air up to the top for exhaust. With the two in front, you won't need much speed to maintain positive pressure either.

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Old 01-18-2019, 04:49 PM

POST ID # = 990424
jtr4141 Reputation: 10

I want to ask one question for the same situation. I have 280X RGB chassis and i want to set up 6 fans exactly like DevBiker said but at top i have a 240 mm AIO radiator and if i set up 2 bottom as intake and radiator fans as exhaust, i believe that hot air can't go out because radiator prevents air flow. Also i am using GTX 1080 Ti which runs hot. So hot air inside the chassis can cause cpu temperature go higher.

What if i set up front fans as exhaust, aio radiator fans as exhaust and bottom two as intake? Do you think this can be better configuration?

Old 01-18-2019, 07:35 PM
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 990429

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtr4141 View Post
I want to ask one question for the same situation. I have 280X RGB chassis and i want to set up 6 fans exactly like DevBiker said but at top i have a 240 mm AIO radiator and if i set up 2 bottom as intake and radiator fans as exhaust, i believe that hot air can't go out because radiator prevents air flow.
What gave you this particular notion? Not accurate at all.

Quote:
Also i am using GTX 1080 Ti which runs hot. So hot air inside the chassis can cause cpu temperature go higher.
Yes, but with a liquid cooled CPU, not directly. With an AIO configured as exhaust, the GPU heat warms up the coolant, which is the baseline temperature for the CPU. And yes, the 1080Ti runs warm.

Quote:
What if i set up front fans as exhaust, aio radiator fans as exhaust and bottom two as intake? Do you think this can be better configuration?
Then you'll have negative pressure .... so no, not a better configuration. It's one that will give you a nice, dusty case though. Plus you won't have much cool air coming into the case to counteract the heat generated by the GPU.

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Old 01-19-2019, 04:27 AM

POST ID # = 990462
Thumbs up

Thank you for your answers DevBiker. Than i will buy 2 more LL120 RGB for bottom intake and setup like you first recommended.

Old 01-19-2019, 10:11 AM
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 990483

I really recommend putting the radiator as front intake. That's how mine is set up and it seems to be the best fit. It also avoids the whole GPU Heat through the radiator problem.

Old 01-20-2019, 01:11 PM

POST ID # = 990653

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevBiker View Post
I really recommend putting the radiator as front intake. That's how mine is set up and it seems to be the best fit. It also avoids the whole GPU Heat through the radiator problem.
The problem is my GTX 1080 Ti model is too log to fit radiator in front as intake. The only option is to use AIO at top.

Old 01-20-2019, 01:45 PM
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 990659

Quote:
The problem is my GTX 1080 Ti model is too log to fit radiator in front as intake. The only option is to use AIO at top.
Ah, well, that is a consideration. With the heat from a 1080Ti, in that case, I'd like look to use the bottom fans as intake as well. Unfortunately, that top radiator is going to be your only exhaust so you'll have GPU heat impacting the cooler. The only way to overcome that is with lots of inbound cooler air. It'll give you massive positive pressure so you'll lost a bit of control over the airflow but you should be able to make it work. I would also suggest running a custom fan curve on the cooler - don't let it get hot at all. Yes, you'll generate the same amount of heat but it'll be spread out better and easier to manage. The default fan curves will keep the fans off until a certain temperature and then keep them quite low until it gets hot .... so you'll wind up with bursts of heat rather than steady heat.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:50 PM

POST ID # = 994801
RGBcyborg Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevBiker View Post
Hi DevBiker,

Which AOI cooler do you have, and where did you place the fans?
Also do you have the hoses at the top of the case or bottom for the rad?

Old 02-18-2019, 09:55 PM
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 994802

I have the H100i V2 in there. It's overkill for the Haswell i3 that's in there. It's also got a GTX 1050 and 1 LL 120 in the top for exhaust. It's the game room computer for my 9 yo daughter.

And hoses along the top, IIRC.