Corsair Community

RBG Strips No Longer Work on LED Port 2 of Commander Pro

peterderek

While the system was running, I unplugged four Corsair RGB strips from Port 2 of Commander Pro. (LED Port 1 is for three Corsair RGB HD fans). When I plugged the strips back in, nothing. No lights. So I switched the strips to Port 1, and put the fans on Port 2. Works just fine, strips and fans light up and can be controlled with Corsair Link. Strips back to Port 2, nothing, black. Also have a Lighting Node Pro, the strips work fine on that interface.

So I did a hard reset on the Commander Pro (depress reset button, power on), which then required re-updating the CP firmware. Still, strips will not work on LED Port 2, only Port 1. Fans work on either port.

I suppose live plugging and unplugging could be an issue, but it only affects strips and only Port 2.

Any clues on what happened here?

• Corsair Employee
What do you mean, Commander Pro powered off? No SATA power to the CP? Assume then nothing would work, or do you mean something else?

With the system completely off, if you put the LED strips back in port 2 then power on the system and configure CLink, does it work then?

• Corsair Employee
Yes, I've powered off, unplugged the computer. Connected the leads. Still no go. RMA replacement unit is on the way. No explanation for "working" port able to control fans, not strips. Probably a one-off device failure.

I see, thanks for checking. Let us know once the replacement unit arrives!

RMA received. Strips work on both ports of the Commander Pro. Recommend Corsair should update the documentation and/or the online FAQ to warn against hot swapping strips (and fans) with the Commander Pro and Lighting Node Pro. They are not like light bulbs.

RMA received. Strips work on both ports of the Commander Pro. Recommend Corsair should update the documentation and/or the online FAQ to warn against hot swapping strips (and fans) with the Commander Pro and Lighting Node Pro. They are not like light bulbs.

strange that... I have a Node pro and 4 strips attached to the back of my monitors and another 4 strips under my desk, I hate to think how many times i have unplugged them while on... direct at node and indeed in the middle of the chain.. like.. FAR too many times lol.. Have also done it on the 8 strips in my case,, but again. on a Node Pro....no issues...

My Commander runs 2 Rgb Fan LED hubs to control 6 LL fans and 4 HD fans and has never had strips on it.. have hot swapped hubs around and also fans on the hub a few times.. again no issues

so maybe this just effects commander's and strips?

There is nothing in the documentation or FAQs (printed or online) that says you can't hot plug the RGB connectors for fans or strips. If that was the cause, that's clearly a gross oversight by Corsair. Looks like RGB strips/fans are are not like lightbulbs. And the oddity is the port in question still works for RGB for fans, just not the strips. Commander Pro stores configuration settings in the device, so guessing that somehow the EPROM in CP got permanently corrupted by hot plugging. I believe the LNP stores settings in the device. So to be safe, power down the system before RGB reconfiguration. Corsair: you should add this to your FAQs, if correct.

Hmmm. Interesting.

I doubt that it impacted the EPROM. My guess would be that it blew out something with the power delivery on that channel. That's the key different with the NoPro and strips vs. Fan Hub ... the fan hub isn't powered by the NoPro while the strips are. If the EPROM was blown out, it would have impacted the Fan Hub and, probably, the 2nd node as well.

Again, though ... that's just a guess. I'd be curious if Corsair has an "official" comment on it.

Archived