Corsair Community

Unable to boot with XMP CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 on Asus z170 pro gaming MB

r-Z

Im having issues running the XMP profile, ill select the profile#1 (only available)

XMP does the following changes

Ai Overclock Tuner [Auto]>[XMP]

BCLK Frequency [AUTO]>[100.00]

CPU Core ration [AUTO] >[sync all cores]

DRAM Frequency [AUTO]>[DDR4-3200mhz]

DRAM Voltage [AUTO]>[1.350]

DRAM CAS# Latency [AUTO]>[16]

DRAM RAS# to CAS# delay [AUTO]>[18]

DRAM RAS# ACT TIME [AUTO] >[36]

I will then reboot the PC and nothing will happen. It will stay on a blank screen not booting. I will reboot again and be advised that the overclock has failed.

Setting it back to Auto settings (which runs the ram at 2133mhz) is fine..

Any suggestions?

Ive updated the MB bios.

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Usually you are going to be BIOS limited in the early release days. Improvements will come. If you want to be thorough, reset to default 2133 and then run MemTest. If the performance is satisfactory, you can start over with manual settings. I would start at 2666 and move up the ladder from there. Manually enter the first 4 primary timings and leave secondary and tertiary on Auto, unless you really know what you're doing. You might also be able to find some guidance or get a better idea of what other people are able to run on the Asus pages or the Overclock.net page for Asus Z170.

• 2 weeks later...

I have this exact issue with the same MoBo, so frustrating.

I re-seated the CPU and that fixed it and i was able to boot up once with xmp on and my ram at 3200. Going to bed relieved, only to find it the next day to be short lived as the exact same symptoms happened again.

I'll give the manual settings a go and memtest64 if that doesn't work.

I was worried when I couldn't find a XMP switch on the MoBo, I guess it just doesn't have one and it's automatic?

Instead of having xmp on I went for manual and changed only the RAM speed to 3200 and left the DRAM voltage at auto and everything else as it was and my PC booted and all seemed great.

It's worth noting here with DRAM voltage left at auto it was running at 1.512 at 3200Mhz.

When XMP is used the DRAM voltage defaults to 1.35. So perhaps that isn't enough which causes the boot problems.

However when I try play GTAV or Dying Light, after 10 minutes or so the game or sometimes my entire PC crashes.

So now i'm trying XMP on, RAM at 3200Mhz but i've changed the voltage from the default 1.35 XMP sets, to 1.5 and left the rest as profile 1 sets.

I'll report back when i've tried it out.

Will you be running a memtest overnight to see if you get any errors? im worried that at 1.5v is to high. Im curious to see what sort of results you get. Im currently running at 2800mhz with xmp profile on. if i go any higher, computer doesn't post.

This is frustrating to say the least since i paid the premium to run at 3200mhz......

I apologize if this information is available somewhere and I didn't see it, but are you running a single kit or double kits? If single which DIMM slots on the board (A or B)? If double how close are the serials (binned together)?

In my experience ASUS boards are finicky about the DIMM slot choice for single kits, and similarly Corsair RAM with non consecutive serials.

For instance I had no problem using the XMP profiles for two CMK32GX4M2A2400C14 kits that came off the line consecutively (serials xxxxxxxxx19, xxxxxxxxx20, xxxxxxxxx21, xxxxxxxxx22 etc.) but when using only a single kit the xmp profile was only stable in the B DIMM slots.

Conversely when using CMK32GX4M2A2666C16 kits with significantly different serials the XMP profiles were only stable when a single kit was used, requiring a manual tuning to find a stable configuration when both kits were used.

Again I apologize if this is nothing new to you, I am new to the corsair forums so I am still getting a feel for the experience level of the members.

**The kits are 32GB (2x16GB) 2400MHz CL14 and 2666MHz CL16 respectively on a VIII Hero motherboard**

Edited by csrobertson
Update and typo

Will you be running a memtest overnight to see if you get any errors? im worried that at 1.5v is to high. Im curious to see what sort of results you get. Im currently running at 2800mhz with xmp profile on. if i go any higher, computer doesn't post.

This is frustrating to say the least since i paid the premium to run at 3200mhz......

You should not have to run 1.50 volts. The auto settings are meant to be a functional set of parameters for even the worst of kits, but it is often arbitrarily high. If left to auto, my Asus X99 will try an make my 1.20v - 2666 kit run at 1.35 at anything other than 2133. Even though it hasn't been necessary in some time, it still tries to use the 125 strap for 2666 and above. Those things are on Asus to fine tune when they see fit. Some things never get changed. I suspect the BIOS automatically adds in a 0.15V when you pass a certain frequency.

Your best bet is try and find timings and settings specific to Asus Z170's as a starting point, but if you need to run more than 1.40V, your stability may be something of an illusion and it's hard to justify a small speed bump for that. It's only been a 6 weeks. After 5 months on X99, 2666 was not a given, regardless of your kit. A few months after that, my 2666 kit can run 3000 without too much tinkering. Safe yourself a huge headache and work with 3000 until the BIOS gets tightened up.

Edited by c-attack

Hi,

Same problem here with the Asus Z170 Pro Gaming and Corsair Vengeance LPX 2 x 8 Go 3000 MHz CAS 15 with XMP.

Sometimes the PC doesn't start correctly, no image, keyboard and mouse are off.

Edited by Saveriu

• Corsair Employees
Im having issues running the XMP profile, ill select the profile#1 (only available)

XMP does the following changes

I will then reboot the PC and nothing will happen. It will stay on a blank screen not booting. I will reboot again and be advised that the overclock has failed.

Setting it back to Auto settings (which runs the ram at 2133mhz) is fine..

Any suggestions?

Ive updated the MB bios.

I am having exactly the same problem on an almost identical board. Anyone able to shed some light?

I have this exact issue with the same MoBo, so frustrating.

I re-seated the CPU and that fixed it and i was able to boot up once with xmp on and my ram at 3200. Going to bed relieved, only to find it the next day to be short lived as the exact same symptoms happened again.

I'll give the manual settings a go and memtest64 if that doesn't work.

I was worried when I couldn't find a XMP switch on the MoBo, I guess it just doesn't have one and it's automatic?

Hi,

Same problem here with the Asus Z170 Pro Gaming and Corsair Vengeance LPX 2 x 8 Go 3000 MHz CAS 15 with XMP.

Sometimes the PC doesn't start correctly, no image, keyboard and mouse are off.

It's probably somewhat related to BIOS version on the MB like what c-attack postulated. But just to be sure, since all of you are using the same board (Asus X99), it's probably best that we discuss this suject with Asus, just so they know what we are seeing in the field. Do you guys mind providing part # and lot # of those kits that you owned. I'll pass it along to our DRAM team so they can look into this further.

the same problems exist in the slave, afraid again to shut down the computer by not opening, about transaxle solution biosl the bio you've installed the latest version.

opening in this way in their own settings

http://i58.tinypic.com/amxdo2.jpg

I choose this way x.m.p

http://i59.tinypic.com/24g1s45.jpg

http://i58.tinypic.com/29fummb.jpg

http://i59.tinypic.com/vondjs.jpg

Restart of whether saver does not turn, I am turning the computer off completely. Coming this screen opens.

http://i57.tinypic.com/dpaes3.jpg

I will start again after taking into default, I choose the bios profile1 xmp again, this time after the opening .This displays after power

http://i57.tinypic.com/ih8tgp.jpg

http://i61.tinypic.com/29z7aqh.jpg

http://i57.tinypic.com/25i3faa.jpg

http://i58.tinypic.com/2005nx1.jpg

Everest 750W 80 Plus Bronze power supply

So certainly none of the other parts. I tested the individual wearing the slot. I checked the pins on the processor. going to or from the power supply bios business.

The latest version of the BIOS is currently installed.

Turn off the computer and it works when you open safe waiting, not building anything, it does not turn I waited 10 minutes.

Edited by dadopurso

I'm having the exact same issues with the Asus Maximus VIII Ranger and the CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 kit. Very frustrating. I contacted Asus, they asked for some details, I replied, and never heard from them again.

As soon as I enable XMP and reboot, the system doesn't POST and I see error 55 on the on-board LED. The only timings that work are Auto @ 2133.

I feel like I wasted money on the more expensive Corsair RAM.

• Corsair Employees
the same problems exist in the slave, afraid again to shut down the computer by not opening, about transaxle solution biosl the bio you've installed the latest version.

I'm having the exact same issues with the Asus Maximus VIII Ranger and the CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 kit. Very frustrating. I contacted Asus, they asked for some details, I replied, and never heard from them again.

As soon as I enable XMP and reboot, the system doesn't POST and I see error 55 on the on-board LED. The only timings that work are Auto @ 2133.

I feel like I wasted money on the more expensive Corsair RAM.

I need you guys to post your lot #s for those DRAM kits as well.

@Smitty, we don't know yet if this is an issue with the RAM or the board. This is the first time I am seeing this, so we need to look into deeper and find out why enabling XMP in your BIOS is somewhat problematic.

@dadopurso: In the UEFI you can save screenshots to e.g. USB storage via pressing the F12 key ;)

http://mods.hardwareluxx.de/emissary42/mainboardpix/rogm8/e42asusm8g_uefi_0006.png

thankyou bro

On page 1. I noticed you upload pictures more comprehensive information. I think I better understood my problem.

Edited by dadopurso

@Smitty, we don't know yet if this is an issue with the RAM or the board. This is the first time I am seeing this, so we need to look into deeper and find out why enabling XMP in your BIOS is somewhat problematic.

On page 1. I noticed you upload pictures more comprehensive information. I think I better understood my problem. Thankyou!

My kit is:

CMK16GX4M2B3200C16

DDR4 Gen 6 i5/7 153203200267920

DDR4 Gen 6 i5/7 153203200267921

v 4.23

My kit is:

CMK16GX4M2B3200C16

DDR4 Gen 6 i5/7 153203200267920

DDR4 Gen 6 i5/7 153203200267921

v 4.23

Is that the brother of the current bios motherboard you? version 802

it turns out the bios of the new permanent site motherboard BIOS update may have come to support our memory.

it turns out the bios of the new permanent site motherboard BIOS update may have come to support our memory.

It happens with all of the BIOS versions. 0401, 0801, and the current version, 1001. I'm running 1001 right now.

Hello All,

I'm gonna jump in here as I'm having the same issues on a recently purchased Asus Z170 Pro Gaming motherboard along with an i7 6700K CPU and 16 GB of Corsair DDR4 3200 Memory.

Now the main issue seems to be when running the memory using the XMP profile to get it clocked at 3200MHz and starting from cold, It will basically just sit on a black screen and not load the bios until I power it off again and then power on, sometimes it will boot straight into windows and other times it will say overclocking failed at which point I'll just go into the bios again and hit save leaving the settings exactly as they were and it will boot normally again with the XMP profile enabled, the only setting i have overridden is the forcing the DRAM voltage to 1.350 which is the recommended for running with that XMP profile.

PC is 100% stable once it eventually boots and have been gaming for hours on it with no crashes or other issues, just seems to be a cold boot issue, nothing else is overclocked and CPU is running at stock speeds

BIOS ver is 0803, The kit I purchased is CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 which is 2x8GB sticks that should XMP to 3200, the ASUS QVL lists a slightly different kit of CMD16GX4M4A3200C16 as qualified for that board but I'm guessing i just have a newer revision of the kit? 2B instead of 4A....

i think the most consistent speed i have managed to run the memory at from a cold boot is 2800 but even then it freaks out sometimes.

Any ideas or any other information you need from me?

Thanks!

I will Try 803 update on the asus z170 pro gaming board

Edited by r-Z