Corsair Community

Corsair RGB Keyboard USB Connection Requirements

Yellowbeard

Connecting via USB 3.0

Use one connector (the one with the keyboard icon) when connecting via USB 3.0

Connecting via USB 2.0

Use both connectors when using USB 2.0. Important Note: Plug in the connector with the two arrows icon first, and the connector with the keyboard icon second.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you verify this, please let us know for sure.

Yep. I can now verify that plugging it in via USB 3.0 will not make the keyboard freeze after pressing any of the lock keys.

When plugged in through USB 3.0, I was able to spam all of the lock keys for a minute straight and none of them caused the keyboard to freeze. I also noticed that the software detects the keyboard much quicker through USB 3.0 and starts up the lighting profile almost instantly when the keyboard powers on.

However, when I plugged it in to USB 2.0 while following the correct procedures, spamming the caps lock key caused the keyboard to freeze in a matter of seconds.

Looks like I'll keep it plugged into the USB 3.0 port until a fix comes along.

I'm not sure about this fixing the other issues though since the lock keys causing the keyboard to freeze was the main issue I had.

Looks like I'll keep it plugged into the USB 3.0 port until a fix comes along.

Unless I am mistaken, this not something that will be resolved with a "fix". This is simply the current difference between the USB 2.0 spec (500ma) va the USB 3.0 spec (900ma).

You simply have to use your USB ports as described above.

Unless I am mistaken, this not something that will be resolved with a "fix". This is simply the current difference between the USB 2.0 spec (500ma) va the USB 3.0 spec (900ma).

You simply have to use your USB ports as described above.

I have my keyboard plugged into the USB 3.0 port as you described and the lights still freeze when spamming the caps lock button.

I complain a lot, but I give credit where it is due.

My Corsair K70 RGB keyboard has worked flawlessly since the moment I connected it! It is a Home Run, Corsair!

Now, if I disconnect my already working K70 RGB keyboard from my last two USB 2.0 ports, and only re-connect the one "keyboard" plug into a USB 3.0 port:

I know that USB 3.0 provides more power and speeds communication, but does it in any way slow or speed the keyboard communication, as opposed to two USB 2.0 plugs?

Yellowbeard,

I have the K65 RGB and I have two PC's that I like to switch between. I have a USB 3.0 hot swap switch to achieve this. it is fully USB 3.0 compliant so should be able to deliver the 900ma. I am currently using it and its working fine, but just wanted to check in and see if you think there would be any long term issues using something like this?

Here is the product that I use.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JX3Q28Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yellowbeard,

I have the K65 RGB and I have two PC's that I like to switch between. I have a USB 3.0 hot swap switch to achieve this. it is fully USB 3.0 compliant so should be able to deliver the 900ma. I am currently using it and its working fine, but just wanted to check in and see if you think there would be any long term issues using something like this?

Here is the product that I use.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JX3Q28Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I can't see why you'd have any issues. But, I do know we have not tested under that usage.

• 2 weeks later...

OK I have a question about this. I normally use a KVM switch. What do I need to do to have it working properly? I use an IOGEAR GCS72U

Do I plug the computer A. (my main computer) into a USB 3.0 and secondary USB 2.0, or both into a USB 2.0? Then plug the computer I am working on into just a 2.0?

Just got my k70 today and have both USB ends plugged into USB 2.0 jacks on just one PC. I haven't set it up for the KVM switch yet.

I would suppose I could plug the k70 into the KVM and plug the KVM "A." PC to a USB 3.0 on my main PC without any problems, but I'm wondering what will happen if I switch the KVM to the "B" PC I would be on, which always varies of course because I use the "B" switch for computers I am working on..

ALSO... While I am on this subject, can I just do this instead.....

Plug the "KEYBOARD" jack of the k70 into the KVM, and plug the extra power jack into a USB wall outlet (like the kind used for charging your phone)?

Hope that all made sense!!

OK I have a question about this. I normally use a KVM switch. What do I need to do to have it working properly? I use an IOGEAR GCS72U

Do I plug the computer A. (my main computer) into a USB 3.0 and secondary USB 2.0, or both into a USB 2.0? Then plug the computer I am working on into just a 2.0?

Just got my k70 today and have both USB ends plugged into USB 2.0 jacks on just one PC. I haven't set it up for the KVM switch yet.

I would suppose I could plug the k70 into the KVM and plug the KVM "A." PC to a USB 3.0 on my main PC without any problems, but I'm wondering what will happen if I switch the KVM to the "B" PC I would be on, which always varies of course because I use the "B" switch for computers I am working on..

ALSO... While I am on this subject, can I just do this instead.....

Plug the "KEYBOARD" jack of the k70 into the KVM, and plug the extra power jack into a USB wall outlet (like the kind used for charging your phone)?

Hope that all made sense!!

If the KVM doesn't have a USB 3.0 port, I'd plug the power-only cable from the keyboard into a USB charger from a phone, Kindle, etc., in case the KVM doesn't provide enough power when the other input is active. Phone chargers often support more than just 500 mA, so if the KVM does turn off power to that port, the keyboard won't do the crazy things they do with the current firmware...

I'm not sure if my issue is exactly the same as OP's but while booting I'm seeing 0 keyboards detected by bios. Once I get to my log in screen, none of my USB devices respond. My only work around is to boot my PC with both USB cables unplugged and once I'm at the log in screen I plug in my K65 RGB.

I'm currently using USB 2.0 and have not yet tried the single USB cable to 3.0.

Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question. My CUE software crashes at least once a day. I plugged in both cables to USB 3.0, is that a problem?

And it seems that even if I set the CUE to be enabled on start up, it won't start up properly so I have to do it manually or the profiles won't load. Is there a solution to this?

Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question. My CUE software crashes at least once a day. I plugged in both cables to USB 3.0, is that a problem?

And it seems that even if I set the CUE to be enabled on start up, it won't start up properly so I have to do it manually or the profiles won't load. Is there a solution to this?

You only need one cable for 3.0, which is the cord with the keyboard symbol on it. USB can then power both the LEDs and keyboard.

Archived