Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Cooling

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-16-2018, 08:02 AM
Kinky_Hazard's PC Specs

POST ID # = 968828
Kinky_Hazard Reputation: 10
Default Corsair LL120 fans not lighting up

Hello,

I built my build 3 months ago from new and has been working correctly, but a few days ago 3x
of my LL120 fans stopped lighting up, they spin but no lights, I have 6 in total and the other three light up fine, please help!
I've checked the connections they all seem to be in fine, and updated all software and drivers.

Specs:
  • Asrock taichi Z370
  • Intel I7 8700k
  • H150i pro
  • EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
  • Evo m.2 SSD
  • scandisk SSD
  • WD hard drive (mech)
  • 16gb Corsair vengeance RGB (white 2x8gb)
  • 6x LL120 RGB Fans
  • Corsair RMX750w PSU
  • Lighting Node Pro
  • crystal 570x

Last edited by Kinky_Hazard; 08-16-2018 at 08:09 AM. Reason: additional info

Old 08-16-2018, 08:08 AM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 968830
c-attack Reputation: 96

Can you identify which three do not light up -- in terms of their RGB Lighting Hub number? So, 1-2-3 light up and 4-5-6 do not?

If so, try changing the order temporarily. The RGB hub works in series, so if 3 is on, 4-5-6 out, then the problem must lie between fan 3 and 4. Move 4 to 1 and see if it lights up. Move 3 to 1 and see what happens to #2.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:13 AM
Kinky_Hazard's PC Specs

POST ID # = 968831

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-attack View Post
Can you identify which three do not light up -- in terms of their RGB Lighting Hub number? So, 1-2-3 light up and 4-5-6 do not?

If so, try changing the order temporarily. The RGB hub works in series, so if 3 is on, 4-5-6 out, then the problem must lie between fan 3 and 4. Move 4 to 1 and see if it lights up. Move 3 to 1 and see what happens to #2.
1,2,3 work correctly it is 4,5,6 that do not light up, i will switch around to see if they light up, watch this space!

Old 08-16-2018, 08:18 AM
Kinky_Hazard's PC Specs

POST ID # = 968833

Quote:

I took fans 4,5,6, unplugged them and placed each one into port 3, they all light up when i do this so the problem seems to lie in the lighting node on ports 4,5,6.
Fan 3 was plugged into port 6 and it did not light up.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:21 AM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 968834

It could be a bad RGB hub and a break between 3 and 4 in the box. However, we have seen issues on the fan side as well. Take fan #3 and plug it into port 1. If that knocks out 2-6, then the short is on the fan rather than the RGB hub.

For both, contact Corsair through the ticket system. If the above test produced no change, then it seems the RGB hub is culprit. If 2-6 go out, then the fan is the problem.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:30 AM
Kinky_Hazard's PC Specs

POST ID # = 968835

Quote:
It could be a bad RGB hub and a break between 3 and 4 in the box. However, we have seen issues on the fan side as well. Take fan #3 and plug it into port 1. If that knocks out 2-6, then the short is on the fan rather than the RGB hub.

For both, contact Corsair through the ticket system. If the above test produced no change, then it seems the RGB hub is culprit. If 2-6 go out, then the fan is the problem.
I took fan 4 out and plugged it onto port 1, this caused fan 4 to light up but it also knocked fan 3 out!but the wired thing is fan one also stayed lit up even though i took fan one out!?

Thanks for all your help btw

Old 08-16-2018, 08:35 AM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 968837

Original fan 1 stayed lit with the small flat RGB cable dangling in the air? Or did you mean in port 4, but fan 3 went out which means 4-5-6 should also be out?

I am afraid this is a bit of a logic puzzle. You have to move them around to isolate a bad fan or a bad RGB hub. The bad RGB hub should be consistent, with ports 4-5-6 never working for any fan. The bad fan is more difficult, as the effect shifts when you move it around.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:36 AM
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 968838
DevBiker Reputation: 76

The fans operate in a series. Each fan has a Data In line and a Data Out line. It's entirely possible (and has happened before) that a fan gets a good data signal in (and lights up) but doesn't pass the signal down the line.

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:47 AM
Kinky_Hazard's PC Specs

POST ID # = 968843

Quote:
Original fan 1 stayed lit with the small flat RGB cable dangling in the air? Or did you mean in port 4, but fan 3 went out which means 4-5-6 should also be out?

I am afraid this is a bit of a logic puzzle. You have to move them around to isolate a bad fan or a bad RGB hub. The bad RGB hub should be consistent, with ports 4-5-6 never working for any fan. The bad fan is more difficult, as the effect shifts when you move it around.
my bad i got confused fan 1 is in fact out but 2,3,4 light up when i take fan 4 and put it into port 1
so sorry.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:57 AM
Kinky_Hazard's PC Specs

POST ID # = 968846

I have opened a ticket with corsair so hopefully i will have some luck there!

Tags
lighting node pro, ll120 rgb