The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Cooling

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-16-2018, 08:02 AM
Kinky_Hazard Kinky_Hazard is offline
Registered User
Kinky_Hazard's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: South United Kingdom
Posts: 7
POST ID # = 968828
Kinky_Hazard Reputation: 10
Default Corsair LL120 fans not lighting up

Hello,

I built my build 3 months ago from new and has been working correctly, but a few days ago 3x
of my LL120 fans stopped lighting up, they spin but no lights, I have 6 in total and the other three light up fine, please help!
I've checked the connections they all seem to be in fine, and updated all software and drivers.

Specs:
  • Asrock taichi Z370
  • Intel I7 8700k
  • H150i pro
  • EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
  • Evo m.2 SSD
  • scandisk SSD
  • WD hard drive (mech)
  • 16gb Corsair vengeance RGB (white 2x8gb)
  • 6x LL120 RGB Fans
  • Corsair RMX750w PSU
  • Lighting Node Pro
  • crystal 570x

Last edited by Kinky_Hazard; 08-16-2018 at 08:09 AM. Reason: additional info
Reply With Quote


  #2  
Old 08-16-2018, 08:08 AM
c-attack c-attack is offline
Registered User
c-attack's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 6,807
POST ID # = 968830
c-attack Reputation: 96
Default

Can you identify which three do not light up -- in terms of their RGB Lighting Hub number? So, 1-2-3 light up and 4-5-6 do not?

If so, try changing the order temporarily. The RGB hub works in series, so if 3 is on, 4-5-6 out, then the problem must lie between fan 3 and 4. Move 4 to 1 and see if it lights up. Move 3 to 1 and see what happens to #2.
Reply With Quote


  #3  
Old 08-16-2018, 08:13 AM
Kinky_Hazard Kinky_Hazard is offline
Registered User
Kinky_Hazard's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: South United Kingdom
Posts: 7
POST ID # = 968831
Kinky_Hazard Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-attack View Post
Can you identify which three do not light up -- in terms of their RGB Lighting Hub number? So, 1-2-3 light up and 4-5-6 do not?

If so, try changing the order temporarily. The RGB hub works in series, so if 3 is on, 4-5-6 out, then the problem must lie between fan 3 and 4. Move 4 to 1 and see if it lights up. Move 3 to 1 and see what happens to #2.
1,2,3 work correctly it is 4,5,6 that do not light up, i will switch around to see if they light up, watch this space!
Reply With Quote


  #4  
Old 08-16-2018, 08:18 AM
Kinky_Hazard Kinky_Hazard is offline
Registered User
Kinky_Hazard's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: South United Kingdom
Posts: 7
POST ID # = 968833
Kinky_Hazard Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-attack View Post
Can you identify which three do not light up -- in terms of their RGB Lighting Hub number? So, 1-2-3 light up and 4-5-6 do not?

If so, try changing the order temporarily. The RGB hub works in series, so if 3 is on, 4-5-6 out, then the problem must lie between fan 3 and 4. Move 4 to 1 and see if it lights up. Move 3 to 1 and see what happens to #2.
I took fans 4,5,6, unplugged them and placed each one into port 3, they all light up when i do this so the problem seems to lie in the lighting node on ports 4,5,6.
Fan 3 was plugged into port 6 and it did not light up.
Reply With Quote


  #5  
Old 08-16-2018, 08:21 AM
c-attack c-attack is offline
Registered User
c-attack's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 6,807
POST ID # = 968834
c-attack Reputation: 96
Default

It could be a bad RGB hub and a break between 3 and 4 in the box. However, we have seen issues on the fan side as well. Take fan #3 and plug it into port 1. If that knocks out 2-6, then the short is on the fan rather than the RGB hub.

For both, contact Corsair through the ticket system. If the above test produced no change, then it seems the RGB hub is culprit. If 2-6 go out, then the fan is the problem.
Reply With Quote


  #6  
Old 08-16-2018, 08:30 AM
Kinky_Hazard Kinky_Hazard is offline
Registered User
Kinky_Hazard's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: South United Kingdom
Posts: 7
POST ID # = 968835
Kinky_Hazard Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-attack View Post
It could be a bad RGB hub and a break between 3 and 4 in the box. However, we have seen issues on the fan side as well. Take fan #3 and plug it into port 1. If that knocks out 2-6, then the short is on the fan rather than the RGB hub.

For both, contact Corsair through the ticket system. If the above test produced no change, then it seems the RGB hub is culprit. If 2-6 go out, then the fan is the problem.
I took fan 4 out and plugged it onto port 1, this caused fan 4 to light up but it also knocked fan 3 out!but the wired thing is fan one also stayed lit up even though i took fan one out!?

Thanks for all your help btw
Reply With Quote


  #7  
Old 08-16-2018, 08:35 AM
c-attack c-attack is offline
Registered User
c-attack's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 6,807
POST ID # = 968837
c-attack Reputation: 96
Default

Original fan 1 stayed lit with the small flat RGB cable dangling in the air? Or did you mean in port 4, but fan 3 went out which means 4-5-6 should also be out?

I am afraid this is a bit of a logic puzzle. You have to move them around to isolate a bad fan or a bad RGB hub. The bad RGB hub should be consistent, with ports 4-5-6 never working for any fan. The bad fan is more difficult, as the effect shifts when you move it around.
Reply With Quote


  #8  
Old 08-16-2018, 08:36 AM
DevBiker's Avatar
DevBiker DevBiker is offline
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 5,141
POST ID # = 968838
DevBiker Reputation: 76
Default

The fans operate in a series. Each fan has a Data In line and a Data Out line. It's entirely possible (and has happened before) that a fan gets a good data signal in (and lights up) but doesn't pass the signal down the line.
__________________
Please click "Edit System Specs" and fill out your system info.

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Reply With Quote


  #9  
Old 08-16-2018, 08:47 AM
Kinky_Hazard Kinky_Hazard is offline
Registered User
Kinky_Hazard's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: South United Kingdom
Posts: 7
POST ID # = 968843
Kinky_Hazard Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-attack View Post
Original fan 1 stayed lit with the small flat RGB cable dangling in the air? Or did you mean in port 4, but fan 3 went out which means 4-5-6 should also be out?

I am afraid this is a bit of a logic puzzle. You have to move them around to isolate a bad fan or a bad RGB hub. The bad RGB hub should be consistent, with ports 4-5-6 never working for any fan. The bad fan is more difficult, as the effect shifts when you move it around.
my bad i got confused fan 1 is in fact out but 2,3,4 light up when i take fan 4 and put it into port 1
so sorry.
Reply With Quote


  #10  
Old 08-16-2018, 08:57 AM
Kinky_Hazard Kinky_Hazard is offline
Registered User
Kinky_Hazard's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: South United Kingdom
Posts: 7
POST ID # = 968846
Kinky_Hazard Reputation: 10
Default

I have opened a ticket with corsair so hopefully i will have some luck there!
Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
lighting node pro, ll120 rgb

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.