The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Cooling

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-19-2018, 07:28 PM

POST ID # = 964426
Megan2014 Reputation: 10

I just use Link, never heard of Icue if Im honest with you. But thank you for all your input. So what temperature should I aim the water cool temp to be at say playing a game like Witcher 3 on max settings 1080p.

And if you were to set a curve for a fan, what temp / percentage would you set them at, just to give myself a building block for when gaming.

Old 07-19-2018, 07:51 PM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 964433
c-attack Reputation: 96

Link was the prior control software for internal devices, like coolers and fans. CUE was the control software for peripherals, like keyboards and mice. Then very recently those two aspects were merged into one program called iCUE. With just the H100i v2, there is no reason you need to change the software to iCUE. In fact, you might be better off with Link. You can easily change your profile (and thus fan curves) by clicking the drop down < in the task bar. I guess we should have clarified which software you were on at the beginning (or I missed it). No matter for performance or choices, but some of the instructions or descriptions I gave were for iCUE.

In Link, two pump speeds. Balanced and Performance. Balanced is all you need, but again, feel free to experiment as much as you like.

I would figure out what speed is "too loud" for gaming. I use headphones and 1500 is pretty much my limit. If I figure out that 37C is the about the highest coolant temp I ever see, I would then set 1500 rpm to just above that temp, maybe at 39 or 40C. At the low end, you can go as slow as you like. You might see a +2 difference in coolant temp at 500 vs 1000, but it really doesn't matter when the CPU temp is 30-40C. I would pick something you don't really notice, maybe try around 750-800 and tweak from there. Your baseline temp should room temp +4-6C or the normal resting coolant temp. All the points in between don't really matter. Just make a nice smooth curve that doesn't alarm you. In contract, I do like to put a spike past my normal coolant range. If I never break 40C, I might put a really high fan speed at 43-45C to let me know if my temps get way out of range. You will hear the fans without having to stare at a CPU temp.

From what I remember, Witcher 3 was very well optimized for the CPU. I don't think you will see a lot of excess CPU heat. You will see GPU heat. Any medium, comfortable, non-irritating fan speed should do.

Old 07-20-2018, 02:40 AM

POST ID # = 964479

Do you mean the two pump speeds are Quiet and Performance? And to just leave it as quiet ?

Thank you

Old 07-20-2018, 07:07 AM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 964521

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan2014 View Post
Do you mean the two pump speeds are Quiet and Performance? And to just leave it as quiet ?

Thank you
Yes, that is my recommendation and it is a rare day when someone reports a meaningful difference in coolant temperature between the two speeds. However just like everything else, this is definitely user preference and feel free to try both in whatever situations you like. If you can't hear it on the higher setting, then that is a bonus. Otherwise, you get the same cooling with less noise on Quiet.

Old 07-31-2018, 02:05 PM

POST ID # = 966430

Hi Guys

So I'm back again and recently turned on my PC after this hot weather. I've got both my pump and fan set to quiet. However when sat idle the fans still reach 1245rpm with temperature of the cpu being between 37-43. Literally all I'm doing is downloading games on Steam. Surely this is high? Or I'm I losing the plot as I'm sure my air cooled CPU was lower then this when idle.

Current temp in UK is around 24-26 at moment.

Old 07-31-2018, 02:28 PM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 966435

Time to move on to custom fan curves. Even in Northern climates, there are going to be some warm days where the fan speed becomes annoying on the presets meant for a 20-23 room. The fans respond to coolant temperature. What is the H100i v2 Temp (coolant temperature) now?

If your room is climbing into the upper 20s, then the baseline for the cooler is going to be low 30s. That is as low as you can go in Summer, but likely beyond the peak value you'll see in Winter. You have to make some seasonal adjustments. My general recommendation is to set the highest fan speed you can tolerate just above your normal peak coolant temp. Summer time + GPU heat probably means that will be somewhere around 40-42C for you, but take note of the coolant temp in Link after a long session. As for the other end, figure out your baseline (likely 27-30C this time of year) and set the fans as low as you want. Even in a highly optimized case, I also need to use seasonal fan curves. Just keep in mind the starting coolant temp when you power on (and the case internal temperature) is as low as you can go. No reason to blast the fans.

CPU air coolers work the same, except with no other viable variable they get set to CPU temperature. We get accustomed to equating fan speed with current work load, but that's not really how it works. Both types of coolers physically transmit heat from the CPU lid to somewhere else. For the water cooling system, that's the radiator exhaust. For the air tower, that's whatever radiator is bolted to it. The big difference is the water system can take a lot more heat in the short terms without needing to immediately expel it. The fans don't have to react to load. Slow and steady works fine.

Old 07-31-2018, 03:53 PM

POST ID # = 966443

The coolant temp while idle went from 27 to 32. CPU was 40. So could you give me an example of a curve please as this is all new to me. What would you recommend?

Old 07-31-2018, 04:58 PM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 966451

What is your fan speed "irritant level"? For me, it is usually around 1500 rpm for 120mm fans. That is as loud as I can stand at load and probably with headphones. Everyone is different and every case environment is different as well, not to mention the fans themselves. Figure out your max tolerance, then set that speed to maybe 1-2C above the highest H100i v2 Temp you have ever seen on your system. That should ensure you only hit the tolerance cap on a really hot day or a really long, sustained load.

The minimum is whatever you like. For me, 750 rpm sounds about like the air conditioning vent and completely unnoticeable without sticking my head in the case. Set your preferred minimum to something like 28-30C. Then straight line the other points between the low and high marks (or gradually build the line up). Use the next to last point for your "high" mark, saving the last one for an emergency alarm. Set the final point to 50C and something unmistakable, like 2000 rpm on the fans. You should never reach 50C for your set-up and environment. If you do, it probably means something isn't quite right with the pump. This will give you a clear warning things have gone amiss without needing to be chained to Link app watching temps.

Here is the thing to remember: +1C in coolant temperature = +1C in CPU temp. That's it. So when the coolant goes from 30 to 35C, your CPU will go up 5C - loaded or at idle. But it also means the reverse is true as well. Coolant at 35, blast those fans at 2000 rpm to bring it down to 33C -- you reduced your CPU temps by a whole 2C. That is almost never worth the noise unless you are right at the limit.

Old 08-01-2018, 03:05 AM

POST ID # = 966499

Thank you for your help.
So to make sure I understand,the fans kick in when the coolant hits a certain temp, not the cpu?

Old 08-01-2018, 08:09 AM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 966519

Correct. Think of the cooling in 3 stages.

Socket pins -> CPU - This is where the electricity is applied and the heat created.

CPU -> Heat spreader lid -> thermal paste -> cold plate on the cooler - This is how the heat gets out of the CPU. It's just material to material surface heat transference, like a pot on a stove burner. It doesn't matter whether there is air or water on the other side of the cold plate, the rate of heat transmission is defined by materials involved. Better transfer, less heat retained in the CPU and lower reported temperatures. A good example of this is "delidding" your CPU. A lot of 7700/8700K CPUs receive criticism for being really hot right out of the Intel box (and they are). A large part of the blame is given to the material Intel used to attach the heat spreader to the CPU. So people take off the heat spreader and put a better conducting material underneath, then put the lid back on. In an overclocked state, it takes about 25C off the end CPU temps from my 8700 and now delidding is becoming very popular. That is about the only thing you can do to address this part of the heat pathway.

Finally, Cooler Cold Plate -> water stream -> radiator fins -> out of your case - The cooler itself is just a dumping ground for the heat. Heat is picked up as each unit of water passes the cold plate, then released through the fins with the help of the fans before returning for another trip. Essentially, this part of the cooling system takes out the trash and dumps the heat elsewhere. At this point, the only influence the coolant has on the CPU cooling process is back at the cold plate. Heat transmission across a conductor is a two way street and will transfer both ways. So if the coolant is 35C, it will transfer heat back to a power-less CPU and make it 35C as well (at least on the top surface). Effectively then coolant temperature becomes the minimum possible CPU temperature and if you don't take out the trash (get rid of enough heat through the radiator), your CPU will slowly start to warm up. This takes time. At its best, the radiator can drop the coolant about 2C per pass through the radiator. Whether the coolant warms or cools is down to the amount of heat coming in versus heat going out.

For the most part, the CPU is always going to be warmer than the coolant. If you use higher c-states, adaptive voltage, and other standard power saving features, you can see your CPU temp sit right about the same level as the coolant. That all changes when the voltage comes back on. Intel has spent millions upon millions trying to make their power delivery extremely sophisticated and variable in its application. I am going to undo that and turn it back into a light bulb - on/off.

CPU OFF - No voltage at the pins, no heat. CPU the same as the coolant.

CPU ON - 1.xx volts applied at the pins, CPU will immediately jump up a very consistent +35-40-45C. The exact number is CPU and voltage dependent. My 8700K has a voltage on offset of +32-34C at 1.30v. This is a pretty low value because my processor has been delidded, but other than that, you can't change this.

Of course, the power delivery is more sophisticated and the load extremely variable. Your CPU will spend much of its time transitioning between those two states, thus rarely at the minimum and rarely at the maximum. However, the maximum offset also tells me how high I could let my coolant temperature go before I get into trouble. The cores would likely throttle around 90-95C, which means I would have to let my coolant get to 60C before I got into trouble. Now that's way past my generally conservative comfort zone and I prefer a lot less, but that is how it works. Your "voltage on" offset is probably more like 40C, but that also means your coolant temperature needs to get to 45-50C before you get into the caution zone in a worst case scenario.

So when you are idling at 35C and the coolant is 28C, that is the voltage between at the pins keeping the cores warm and in an operational state. You are not going to be at 0 volts. Most CPUs have a low end of around 0.65-0.75v in their default state. When you initiate a full 100% CPU load (like in a stress test or a badly optimized game launcher), you will see that big CPU core temp spike. The light just got turned on all the way and the voltage at the pins has spiked to 1.20-1.30v or the designated limit set in the BIOS. The heat must pass through the CPU to get to the exit and thus you see a big swing up in core temperatures. You can't change that number except by altering your voltage, but it helpful to know to understand what part of the total core temps is voltage induced (not changeable) and what part is addressable through the cooler. If you run a stress test you will see a big jump in CPU temps the moment you press start. Depending on the test, it will wiggle a little going down the line, but the "CPU Temp" usually holds comparatively steady. As the minutes tick by, you will likely see the CPU temp slowly rise, maybe 1C every minute. Compare that to the coolant temp. They are likely moving together. This is the effect of the cooler. +1C coolant temp = +1C CPU temp. So when we are talking about +5C coolant temperature changes, that only means 5C on the CPU. Most of the time, this doesn't matter and that is also why you can let the fans roll along comfortably, right until you get to your CPU temp limit.

Last edited by c-attack; 08-01-2018 at 08:30 AM.

Old 08-12-2018, 01:56 PM

POST ID # = 968234

Hi I'm back!!

Ok so i have created a custom curved but realised that when using Corsair Link the fan group was under H100i v2. Is that the curve i want to customise to keep CPU temps down or do i need to change the group? here are my curves:

25 - 25%
35-30%
50-40%
60-50%
70-80%
75(+) - 100%.

Thank you :)

Old 08-12-2018, 04:17 PM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 968240

"Group" is Corsair Link terminology for control variable and in this instance the "H100i v2 Temp Group" is the coolant/liquid temperature. That is what you want and how the cooler is meant to work. However, you may want to compress your curve a bit. The highest H100i V2 Temp you should ever see is going to about 40-45C. If you get to 50C, something is wrong with the cooler. That does not mean you need to blast the fans in the lower zones, but I would set your last point to 100% at 50C. Set the second to last point at 40C and at a fan speed that is moderate, but not offensive in sound. This way if you hear the fans making a lot of noise, something is probably off and you should take a look. Also, don't forget that small changes in fan speed mean very little for cooling purposes, but most certainly can be meaningful for sound quality. I would make most of your lower curve adjustments based on what you think is an acceptable blend of speed and sound. 1400 rpm sounds too loud? Make it 1200. The cost is not more than a fraction of a degree. This is usually a good trade.

Old 08-12-2018, 07:08 PM

POST ID # = 968269

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-attack View Post
"Group" is Corsair Link terminology for control variable and in this instance the "H100i v2 Temp Group" is the coolant/liquid temperature. That is what you want and how the cooler is meant to work. However, you may want to compress your curve a bit. The highest H100i V2 Temp you should ever see is going to about 40-45C. If you get to 50C, something is wrong with the cooler. That does not mean you need to blast the fans in the lower zones, but I would set your last point to 100% at 50C. Set the second to last point at 40C and at a fan speed that is moderate, but not offensive in sound. This way if you hear the fans making a lot of noise, something is probably off and you should take a look. Also, don't forget that small changes in fan speed mean very little for cooling purposes, but most certainly can be meaningful for sound quality. I would make most of your lower curve adjustments based on what you think is an acceptable blend of speed and sound. 1400 rpm sounds too loud? Make it 1200. The cost is not more than a fraction of a degree. This is usually a good trade.
Ok ill have a play with the curves. At the moment I'm currently playing WoW with Fan RPM at 900, coolant temp is 30 and cpu temp doesn't go past 35. Really happy with it :)

Old 08-12-2018, 07:46 PM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 968273

Exactly. You can leave the fan speed low at the bottom end. It doesn't really matter. The only reason to tail up the high end of the curve is to audible let you know something is wrong if you get to 50C.