Corsair Community

Replacing invalid security id with default security id

vinhcit

Hi all,

I have 1 the Corsair P128 SSD. I also 2 mechanical drives in RAID1. All are connected to the Intel controller on my EVGA x58 3-way SLI motherboard.

Previously, the SATA mode was set to RAID. Then my Win7x64Pro was corrupted so I decided to reinstall. Before doing that, I flashed the BIOS and updated the SSD's firmware. The SSD updater required that I set the SATA mode to IDE or AHCI. So I set the SATA mode to IDE, updated the firmware (this wiped the SSD), then changed the SATA mode to AHCI, then reinstalled Win7x64Pro.

Next, as suggested by one of the stickied threads here, I moved the user variables and system variables TEMP and TMP [Control Panel>System and Security>System>Advanced System Settings>Environmental Variables] to D:\TEMP (D is the letter for RAIDed disks). I did not move/resize the page file.

Things were running fine for a bit. Then, I installed Intel RAID Manager, after which, I restarted the machine. I was asked for chkdsk for D, which I authorized. Then I was give thousands of "Replacing invalid security id with default security id for file" n, n+1, n+2,... Once back to Windows, I had to give authorizations to access folders on D:\. Once authorizations were given, I was able to access the folders themselves, as well as the contained files and the subfolders. The files and the subfolders did not require furthere authorizations.. But there are little lock symbols on folders on D:\.

I set the SATA mode back to RAID. But the system gave BSOD right after the logo screen, so Startup Repair restored my system back to right before Intel Raid Manager was installed. However, the BSOD persisted. So I changed SATA mode to AHCI and I was able to boot back into Windows.

After incurring an installation error for some driver, I moved the environmental variables back to their default location on C (C is the letter for the P128). The installation that had been giving error then installed smoothly. The whole machine seems to be stable for a day now. I've been installing things on it and restarting it several times without any issue. I still have the lock symbols on the folders on D:\, as described above.

What is going on? What should I do? Thanks.

p.s. Relevant system info: Intel Core i7 920 CPU, 3x2GB DDR3 1600 RAM from some non-Corsair brand, 2 GTX 275 in SLI, 1 Corsair P128 SSD, 2 mechanical HHD's in RAID1, 850W Corsair PSU. Nothing is overclocked.

1613161360_Littlelocksymbol.png.64e3391b82430d91568787573ea40571.png

So if I got this right, your ssd is on the same controller as your mechanical Hard drives right ?

I think the problem is that you installed your OS in ACHI and then changed it to be a non-RAID disk on the RAID controller. Either set up the raid first then Install the OS, or just stick to ACHI and have no RAID disks. Which ever you choose if it was me I would start again, secure erase your SSD and re-install the OS, but dont change from ACHI to RAID after you have installed.

So if I got this right, your ssd is on the same controller as your mechanical Hard drives right ?

I think the problem is that you installed your OS in ACHI and then changed it to be a non-RAID disk on the RAID controller. Either set up the raid first then Install the OS, or just stick to ACHI and have no RAID disks. Which ever you choose if it was me I would start again, secure erase your SSD and re-install the OS, but dont change from ACHI to RAID after you have installed.

Hi, I'm taking from this that I should do the following:

- Change SATA mode to RAID (this will cause BSOD if I boot with Windows, but I'm not---see the next line)

- Boot with Win 7 DVD

- Reinstall drive C

Do I have to reformat the RAIDed disks? If not, after Windows reinstallation, will I run into this weird authorization situation again?

Also, can someone give me a primer on different SATA modes (IDE, AHCI, and RAID). I've read here http://www.techarp.com/showFreeBOG.aspx?lang=0&bogno=313 that RAID also enables AHCI. Is this true? Why does Corsair recommend setting SATA to IDE or AHCI for the SSDs? For my case (1 Corsair SSD for OS, 2 HHD in RAID1 for data, all connected to the same controller), which SATA mode should I use?

I think your problem was due to, Installing the OS first and then changing the SATA mode from ACHI to RAID.

If you want to use RAID then set the SATA to RAID first then install the OS.

I think Corsair recommend ACHI because Trim will not work under RAID atm (hopefully Intel will produce drivers in the future that will allow this)

Intel RAID should also enable ACHI, but because the drive is under the RAID controller Trim will not work. I have a similar setup, my SSD as a non-RAID disk and my two mechanical drives in RAID0, but because my SSD is on the RAID controller I cannot use Trim, instead I use Diskeeper to optimize my SSD.

You should not have to reformat your mechanical drives, but I would suggest a secure erase on the SSD before re-installing the OS again. You may have files left over on the Mech drives from the previous install but you could just delete them instaed of reformatting.

I think your problem was due to, Installing the OS first and then changing the SATA mode from ACHI to RAID.

If you want to use RAID then set the SATA to RAID first then install the OS.

I think Corsair recommend ACHI because Trim will not work under RAID atm (hopefully Intel will produce drivers in the future that will allow this)

Intel RAID should also enable ACHI, but because the drive is under the RAID controller Trim will not work. I have a similar setup, my SSD as a non-RAID disk and my two mechanical drives in RAID0, but because my SSD is on the RAID controller I cannot use Trim, instead I use Diskeeper to optimize my SSD.

You should not have to reformat your mechanical drives, but I would suggest a secure erase on the SSD before re-installing the OS again. You may have files left over on the Mech drives from the previous install but you could just delete them instaed of reformatting.

+1000000

Thanks a lot. I'll update on my progress.

Archived