Corsair Community

Will using 8GB Dominators (4 x 2GB) in 32-bit XP damage the modules?

lsudolemite

Hi everyone, new to the forums. I recently purchased 8GB of PC2-8500 Dominators (4 x 2GB, 1066 MHz) for my system. I plan on using the extra RAM for scientific computing under 64-bit Linux and for extra video RAM in Vista Ultimate 64-bit. However, I also still use XP 32-bit for many applications/games. (This is a triple-booted system). However, I noticed the following message on the packaging:

"PLEASE NOTE: Corsair's line of 4GB memory kits are designed for PCs featuring 64-bit operating systems. Installing 4GB onto PCs with 32-bit operating systems is not advised nor supported under warranty."

While I know that XP cannot see or use more than 2.5 GB of RAM, will the use of all 8GB under XP actually physically damage the RAM modules in any way? Does this also void the warranty for whenever I have XP booted? (Maybe I should copy this thread to the warranty forum, too.)

I'd really appreciate any input. Thanks!

First, do not duplicate posts, one is enough :)

Second, NO, it will NOT damage the modules. The warning, which is a misprint, is SOLELY about the limitation of 32-bit XP / Vista. Your memory's warranty will be fine, regardless of the OS.

Archived