Corsair Community

Force GT 480GB on my Netbook BSOD

NetBook: Gigabyte T1125N.

BSOD experiencing:

32bit: ntkrnlpa.exe BugCheck: 0xf4 (CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION)

64bit: ntoskrnl.exe BugCheck: 0xf4 (CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION)

Not mentioned in the 'sequence of events' list below is enabling the verifier for all drivers, which resulted in the above BSOD,

and entries for Avast something.sys and a Netlimiter module/driver.

I discarding the Avast and Netlimiter entries as a clean install of Windows also resulted in the above BSOD entries.

BSOD Occurs when:

1. Windows started

2. Everything loaded

3. A few clicks/minutes running, Windows becomes unresponsive.

4. Desktop Gadgets disappear.

5. Open windows and taskbar disappear.

6. One of the following two circumstances appears.

6.1. Sometimes display pop ups (like shutdown screen) Stating 'Something' security policy, then BSOD without a dump.

6.2. BSOD with a dump.

The Sequence of events:

Bought: Force GT 480GB, Transcend 4GBx2.

I struggled to get a HDD cloning program that makes a 'perfect' clone of existing HDD (done).

Installed new RAM and SSD into Netbook.

The Testing:

(May differ from actual events as swearing, and blood, and sweat, and tears where removed).

WEEKEND 1:

1. Boot into 64bit, auto installed Force GT ATA Device driver, restart.

2. Boot into 64bit = BSOD.

3. Boot into safemode, removed GPU drivers, restart.

4. Boot into 64bit, updated Windows and all the drivers that are possible, restart.

5. Boot into 64bit, disabled paging, restart.

6. Boot into 64bit, enbaled paging, restart.

7. Boot into 64bit, all is good, installed the latest GPU drivers, restart.

8. Boot into 64bit = BSOD.

9. Boot into safemode, removed GPU drivers, restart.

10. Boot into 64bit, installed Netbook Supplier's GPU drivers, restart.

11. Boot into 64bit = BSOD.

12. Ran chkdsk, no errors/faults.

13. Ran sfc /scannow, found some problem with the aero.theme, not fixed.

14. Updated Bios, reset Bios to default values, restart.

15. Boot into 64bit = BSOD.

16. Factory restore Win7 64bit.

17. Boot into 64bit, updated all the drivers, restart.

18. Boot into 64bit, updated Win to SP1, restart.

19. Boot into 64bit = BSOD.

20. Boot into safemode, removed GPU drivers, restart.

21. Boot into 32bit, auto installed Force GT ATA Device driver, restart.

22. Boot into 32bit = BSOD.

23. Boot into safemode, removed GPU drivers, restart.

24. Boot into 32bit, during the day and do some work.

25. Boot into 64bit, at night and enjoy some shows and other casual stuff.

WEEKEND 2:

1. Replaced 4GBx2 modules with original 2GBx2 modules.

2. Boot into 64bit, re-installed GPY drivers, restart.

3. Boot into 64bit = BSOD.

4. Boot into safemode, removed GPU drivers, restart.

5. Boot into 64bit, play around a bit, shutdown.

6. Tried a 'power cycle' suggestion mentioned on a different forum.

7. Boot into 64bit = BSOD.

8. Replaced 2GBx2 modules with the new 4GBx2 modules.

9. Removed SSD and inserted the original HHD.

10. Boot into 64bit, slow but no BSOD, ran sfc /scannow. Found some problem with the aero.theme, not fixed, restart

11. Boot into 32bit, slow but no BSOD, shutdown.

12. Run memtest on one memory module in the 1st memory slot, 5 Passes = no error.

13. Run memtest on the other memory module in the 1st memory slot, 4 Passes = no error.

14. Run memtest on the first memory module in the 2nd memory slot, 3 Passes = no error.

15. Removed all partitions and formatted SSD, clean install Win7 64bit.

16. Boot into 64bit, installed all the drivers except the GPU, restart.

17. Boot into 64bit, ran sfc /scannow. Found no errors, played around a bit, installed GPU, restart.

18. Boot into 64bit = BSOD.

19. BIOS: Changed the Intel HD option form "Optimisation" to "Default"

20. Boot into 64bit, Windows ran a bit longer, then BSOD.

21. BIOS: Revert back to previous change and disabled GPU.

22. Boot into 64bit, netbook running without a glitch.

23. Cloned the original HDD back to the SSD.

24. Boot into 64bit, updated drivers, restart.

25. Boot into 64bit, updated Intel IME, restart.

26. Boot into 64bit = BSOD.

27. Boot into safemode, removed Intel IME drivers, restart.

28. Boot into 64bit, re-installed Intel IME drivers, restart.

29. Boot into 64bit, running fine, installed all Windows updates that is available, restart.

30. Enabled GPU in Bios.

31. Boot into 64bit = BSOD.

32. BIOS: Disabled GPU, netbook running without a glitch.

Conclusion:

New RAM = No Issues.

Old HDD on Win SP1 + GPU Enabled = No Issues.

New SSD on Win (without SP1) + GPU Enabled = No Issues.

New SSD on Win SP1 + GPU Disabled = No Issues.

New SSD on Win SP1 + GPU Enabled = ISSUES!

I am out of ideas........ :(:

So much info, but not a single useful one, for example

WHy do you think this is a SSD-related BSOD?

"what mode is SATA-Controller setuped in BIOS" is it AHCI or RAID? Has to be AHCI, anything regarding RAID: Ask your motherboard vendor.

You HAVE to install WIndows in AHCI-mode + the BIOS-Sata-Mode HAS TO BE AHCI.

Other valuable information is BIOS-Power-Saving functions disabled (C1E)?

Regarding your conclusion, you claim that you only have this BSODs when "GPU is enabled"... anyhow... i don't know what that means at all, because no GPU => no screen. YOu MUST have a GPU running, otherwise you will not see any BSOD appearing. I guess you deactivated the discrete-GPU and still using the enabled integrated-GPU... so watch carefully what you are saying, or you may just confuse other people with such informations.

This is certainly a "GPU" bug, so corsair may not have any answer at all, except of you should try the disk on another PC before RMA a functional drive ;)

On the one hand you say that you did a clone of a HDD, but you have to install it from scratch.

You said you had done this ('perfect' HDD-clone) but i claim that "installation" is the very problem, because there's no way to fully customize a windows-installation that was installed on a HDD to a SSD! There's no warranty that this could work at all.

Corsair actually doesnt support migrating a HDD-Windows installation onto a SSD. The problem is that windows has certain services enabled for the HDD that may harm the SSD (defragmentation, prefetch,superfetch)... so it would be good if you clearly can state now if you had installed from the CD or tried to boot-up a cloned-image of a HDD-WIn-Installation.

You stated nowhere that you inserted a WIndows-CD to install Windows onto the SSD... but that IS neccessary, noone supports a HDD-clone or can troubleshoot you getting BSODs with that.

SO please try installing from scratch and see if the BSODs persists, and please ask the GPU-vendor if he might have a clue why this always happens when you have the discrete-GPU runnin'. To be this sounds like temperature-problem of the nvidia-chip. I had a notebook on which the nvidia-chip showed same behaviour.

WHy do you think this is a SSD-related BSOD?

Insert Old HDD, no issues.

Insert SSD with Cloned Windows SP1 OR cleanly installed Windows SP1 from DISK, issues.

"what mode is SATA-Controller setuped in BIOS" is it AHCI or RAID? Has to be AHCI, anything regarding RAID: Ask your motherboard vendor.

You HAVE to install WIndows in AHCI-mode + the BIOS-Sata-Mode HAS TO BE AHCI.

It is AHCI.

Other valuable information is BIOS-Power-Saving functions disabled (C1E)?

Limitted options are available as it is the InsydeH2O UEFI "Bios" thus no power management options is available to be set.

Regarding your conclusion, you claim that you only have this BSODs when "GPU is enabled"... anyhow... i don't know what that means at all, because no GPU => no screen. YOu MUST have a GPU running, otherwise you will not see any BSOD appearing. I guess you deactivated the discrete-GPU and still using the enabled integrated-GPU... so watch carefully what you are saying, or you may just confuse other people with such informations.

1. Intel HD Graphics.

2. Geforce 310m

On the one hand you say that you did a clone of a HDD, but you have to install it from scratch.

You said you had done this ('perfect' HDD-clone) but i claim that "installation" is the very problem, because there's no way to fully customize a windows-installation that was installed on a HDD to a SSD! There's no warranty that this could work at all.

Corsair actually doesnt support migrating a HDD-Windows installation onto a SSD. The problem is that windows has certain services enabled for the HDD that may harm the SSD (defragmentation, prefetch,superfetch)... so it would be good if you clearly can state now if you had installed from the CD or tried to boot-up a cloned-image of a HDD-WIn-Installation.

You stated nowhere that you inserted a WIndows-CD to install Windows onto the SSD... but that IS neccessary, noone supports a HDD-clone or can troubleshoot you getting BSODs with that.

SO please try installing from scratch and see if the BSODs persists, and please ask the GPU-vendor if he might have a clue why this always happens when you have the discrete-GPU runnin'. To be this sounds like temperature-problem of the nvidia-chip. I had a notebook on which the nvidia-chip showed same behaviour.

Weekend 2. #15. Clean install, not recovery.

Conclusion:

New RAM = No Issues.

Old HDD on Win SP1 + GPU Enabled = No Issues.

New SSD on Win (without SP1) + GPU Enabled = No Issues.

New SSD on Win SP1 + GPU Disabled = No Issues.

New SSD on Win SP1 + GPU Enabled = ISSUES!

So considering that you have a laptop with a propriety nvidia "gaming" card and as far as i can see only have such issues when this part is enabled, not with the intel-gpu.

you qouted to no 15, but you follewd the points this:

17. Boot into 64bit, ran sfc /scannow. Found no errors, played around a bit, installed GPU, restart.

18. Boot into 64bit = BSOD.

So obviously you may have defective gpu/-driver. This often happens to lot costumers. When CPU and GPU both are at high load for long period the heatpipe-construction cannot transfer such heat that fast so you end up up very high temperatures that fastly degrade your hardwares lifetime, especially at warm day and/or when the laptops-fan-holes are blocked. Mine nvidia-laptop-GPU had a constructional failure by design that forced the chip to put off the hard-soldered socket... anyway because i opened it i didn't get warranty xD. I just high likely guess per internet that concluding what you say your gpu is defective, not the SSD. Not sure why which version of Win7 on a clean install chooses a nvidia-WHQL driver!!! for your gpu by default and some do not. Does the GPU work fine on a HDD installation?

Old HHD and Win7SP1 with the GPU enabled, runs fine (except that the HDD is slow as hell compared to the SSD)

On the SSD only Win7 installed without SP1 with GPU enabled, runs fine.

Please note that the Win7 without the SP1 is a factory restore from the recovery partition of the cloned drive, and it runs without any errors.

It is a triangle of DOOM between GPU <-> SP1 <-> SSD.

I can only pick 2 :[pouts:

This weekend I will put the SSD in my Desktop and see what happens, but this will not indicate precisely what is at fault as the core system is different, except when the same issue occurs on the desktop.

The netbook's manufacturer’s support is also not very helpful as they keep telling me to put back the original hardware as the system is designed for that "specific" hardware.

Almost testing day.....

Okay,

All tests where done with a clean installation from a Windows 7 disk.

Prior to selecting the Partition to install, all partitions where deleted and then created a Windows partition with the extra automated system reserve partition.

After installation was completed, all drivers where installed except the Geforce 310m drivers.

System restarted, and was running fine, then installed the Geforce 310m drivers and restarted, this was the result:

Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD -> After about 3 minutes BSOD.

Corsair Force GT 480GB SSD -> After about 3 minutes BSOD.

Corsair Neutron 64GB SSD -> After about 3 hours, still no BSOD.

Firmware:

Force3: 5.03

ForceGT: 5.05

Neutron: M310

Any sugestions?

I have an idea, at least nobody checked it until now.

The problem might only occur with a specific SATA-Controller driver. Device-Manager or ASSSD (easier to see) show you what driver actually is in use.

Check and if it is MSAHCI, switch to mother-board-vendor's one (assumed IASTOR) , then try again if the problem persists when you enable Geforce.

If it is mother-board-vendors's one (assumed IASTOR), switch to MSAHCI, then try again if the problem persists when you enable Geforce.

Ensure you have latest SATA-drivers from toshiba btw. The Notebooks SATA-Drivers are suspected to be fault more than FW of the drive in my opinion, because i assume the force's work fine on other PCs/Laptops.

Hope you get rid of that annoying BSODs this way.

If not please make sure on another PC the force-drives are not causing BSOD. If that's the case bugging toshiba would be legit. You really say they dont process your request because you replaced the original hdd by a ssd? I mean the drive-storage-bay is MEANT to be capable of fitting other drives to, as so is the SATA-Standard the controller is specified by. If they refuse to hand on your request to the "driver developers" just because you put in a prooved-working SSD i would be very dissappointed by toshiba. I can understand that they cannot replace the notebook, because you have to send it it with the original drive and with that there's no problem, but they should at least forward your "bug" to the relative departement. Insist on that.

edit: im the idiot, its a gigabyte netbook OMG sry.

Details to the BSODs would be nice, too, refer here (Microsoft Website):

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff560372%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

• 4 months later...

The Netbook started with weird stuttering the past two weeks, but only in the 32bit OS, so far not on the 64bit OS.

But it recently came under my attention that BSOD will also occur when I switch on the Bluetooth of the Netbook.

I did run the Intel AHCI drivers available from the Netbook's support site, and also tried the 'updated' drivers form Intel themselves, and currently I am running on the Standard AHCI driver as it makes no difference.

My Dekstop running two Force 3 GB 60GB is also starting to give issues with a BSOD on the ntkrnlpa.exe, and this only happens when I use Google Chrome to watch videos on the web (which is really weird).

My girlfriend's Force 3 120GB is not giving so much issues so I will leave hers alone for now.

Anyway, since it is about an year ago since the last firmware update I decided to replace the Corsairs with something else as staying on the current firmware is not going to solve anything.

Attached is the BlueScreenView for the on-demand-created BSOD results for the 32bit Win7.

All.txt

Archived