Corsair Community

Vengeance Pro RGB, two sticks not lighting (Aorus Gaming 7 Z370)

JerryCooke

I recently built a new system and installed 32GB of 3200 Vengeance Pro RGB in the form of four dimms. They worked fine to begin with, but now only two sticks change colour properly, with the other two lighting up the wrong colour, only on the top and bottom.

b970Ec0.jpg

As you can see, when I change colour, they partially change.

vuRNY1L.jpg

I have removed all Gigabyte software and updated the BIOS to the newest version, so there should be no conflict.

3 things to try. Reinstall icue. swap the modules that dont light right to the side that does. change the setup to 1x2 and see if one of the right ones lights up correctly.

Re-installing iCUE had no noticeable effect.

Swapping the modules 2 for right 2 made it clear that it's the modules, not the DIMM slots that are the controlling factor.

https://imgur.com/lYHrGqb

Running just those two DIMMs by themselves didn't have any effect.

https://imgur.com/DWGuWyT

Same thing is happening to me.

memory was working fine, installed iCUE and now one stick works, one stick seems to be in some default unchangeable dim pattern.

removing/reinstalling iCUE does not help. Can't configure via iCUE nor Gigabytes RGB app.

Try a complete power down (unplug) and then restart. I've seen them get "stuck" and that resolved it.

Also, sometimes it take a couple of "tries" before the lighting effect seems to "stick".

Finally, make sure the SPD Write is enabled in your BIOS.

I've done the following

1. Shut down

2. Reboot

3. Move ram around to different ram banks.

4. Swapped ram between slots. Power was off/removed from the system for hours after this.

5. Cleared bios settings

6. Turned SPD Write off and on

7. Reinstalled iCue

8. Removed iCue

9. Installed Gigabyte RGB Fusion

10. Removed Gigabyte RGB Fusion

11. Removed NZXT CAM

12. Installed Corsair Link

13. Removed Corsair Link

14. Removed all software

15. Reinstalled windows.

16. Installed the older Cue (does not support Vengeance Pro) Then updated to the latest release from within the software.

17. Enabled XMP Profile

18. Disabled XMP Profile

19. Turned Windows Fastboot off

20. Disabled Fastboot in the Bios

Nothing works, and at this point I'm considering returning the ram.

This is disappointing, I've tried everything that has been suggested and to no avail either.

It's very sad since two of the sticks work fine and they're just plain beautiful. I'd love it if somebody from Corsair would actually comment with some ideas.

• Corsair Employee

Hello JerryCooke,

When it comes to odd issues that crop up seemingly randomly, the first thing I check is if any Windows 10 updates were installed when the issue started. If that's the case, then I restore to that point and verify the issue no longer occurs. If it isn't then delete the software (iCUE in this case) and allow Windows to update. After it is and you've restarted, you should be fine to reinstall.

If that isn't the case, then I would suggest making sure that all your drivers are up to date. I assume they are, but it's always good to double check. Failing this, please contact our support team at support.corsair.com by creating a ticket. That way we can look into this issue further.

EDIT: One other thing to try. Fully remove power for the system, physically remove the CMOS battery, and wait about a minute before plugging it back in and attaching the power cable.

Doing some research, it seems the SPD is corrupted. No idea how to if I can fix it yet as the links talking about this are all about a different vendors ram why not lighting.

https://www.whiskey-foxtrot.com/2017/05/12/corrupted-spd-on-trident-z-rgb-restore-it/

Restore process isn't same? They are recommending a paid software($16) for this solution. I doubt it worth solution or not.

Restore process isn't same? They are recommending a paid software($16) for this solution. I doubt it worth solution or not.

You need a good dump of the SPD to restore. Their database doesn't have it yet. I'm exchanging my ram tomorrow, I'll grab a dump for people to use.

This problem looks to be easy to replicate. Multiple RGB Programs are reading/writing to the SPD at the same time and corrupting it. Poor coding and poor hardware allows this and no vendor has even acknowledged it. There are videos all over youtube. $16 is a lot but I consider it well worth if it this problem happens often.

You need a good dump of the SPD to restore. Their database doesn't have it yet. I'm exchanging my ram tomorrow, I'll grab a dump for people to use.

This problem looks to be easy to replicate. Multiple RGB Programs are reading/writing to the SPD at the same time and corrupting it. Poor coding and poor hardware allows this and no vendor has even acknowledged it. There are videos all over youtube. $16 is a lot but I consider it well worth if it this problem happens often.

The Corsair's don't write to the SPD EEPROM they write to an MCU instead. The reason G.Skill's modules had this issue was due to improperly designed PCB. They left a resistor off which led to it becoming corrupted after multiple reboots.

From what I understand, Corsair's engineers discovered the SPD corruption issue before releasing even the first wave of RGB RAM and had a fix for it in their first generation hardware. I would be absolutely amazed if the same fix isn't in place for the second generation RGB RAM as well.

That said, I've reported this to Corsair for investigation.

From what I understand, Corsair's engineers discovered the SPD corruption issue before releasing even the first wave of RGB RAM and had a fix for it in their first generation hardware. I would be absolutely amazed if the same fix isn't in place for the second generation RGB RAM as well.

That said, I've reported this to Corsair for investigation.

Didn't get a chance to exchange the ram, Hopefully tomorrow(Monday)

That said my machine has not been rebooted since Friday and now all SPD data is missing within CPU-Z. I decided to try Thaiphoon Burner free edition and sure enough I have SPD crc errors, and oddly my serial numbers no longer show on the ram. Something is very wrong if this can happen without me trying to.

I've been away all weekend and have not been on my machine. The only change made was I uninstalled Gigabytes RGB Fusion application on Friday.

Screenshots attached

CPUZ.png.75a2149381ab5bf769526583b52b3f65.png

CPUZ02.png.cd1767d2c0f95c77951ba889fe17f95d.png

Thaiphoon01.thumb.png.50d88f9a05da1aecfedf6e60b985e4de.png

Thaiphoon02.thumb.png.877c5d1641350cd46be89caa03521e64.png

Didn't get a chance to exchange the ram, Hopefully tomorrow(Monday)

That said my machine has not been rebooted since Friday and now all SPD data is missing within CPU-Z. I decided to try Thaiphoon Burner free edition and sure enough I have SPD crc errors, and oddly my serial numbers no longer show on the ram. Something is very wrong if this can happen without me trying to.

I've been away all weekend and have not been on my machine. The only change made was I uninstalled Gigabytes RGB Fusion application on Friday.

Screenshots attached

CPUz might be due to iCue accessing the SMBus. Corsair doesn't program serial numbers in the SPD. Post a dump of the SPD instead of just the screenshot from Thaiphoon burner.

CPUz might be due to iCue accessing the SMBus. Corsair doesn't program serial numbers in the SPD. Post a dump of the SPD instead of just the screenshot from Thaiphoon burner.

iCUE Wasn't installed nor running while CPU-Z was reporting blank. I even uninstalled NZXT CAM and Ryzen Master prior to that.

I have the new ram now. Re imaged windows back to a clean slate, Installed iCUE and now I can control both new dimms. I have not turned on XMP profile nor installed any other software.

Looking at Thaiphoon I still have the same CRC errors. So maybe thats just the software not knowing how to read Corsairs data?

If you look at the dumps, 2018-07-16 doesn't have all the timings/frequencies listed. I have not overclocked beyond turning XMP on then off at some point. All values should be default to my motherboard.

CMW16GX4M2C3600C18 SPD Dumps.zip

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Malakai, good to hear that you are able to get them exchanged.

How did you do it? I bought with Newegg online and I don't want to live without my sticks for so many days shipping it back to Newegg.

I am trying to see if I can just go into Corsair's office and get them exchanged, but I am not sure if this is going to be an option.

Will be great if you can provide some info on how you were able to get the sticks replaced.

iCUE Wasn't installed nor running while CPU-Z was reporting blank. I even uninstalled NZXT CAM and Ryzen Master prior to that.

I have the new ram now. Re imaged windows back to a clean slate, Installed iCUE and now I can control both new dimms. I have not turned on XMP profile nor installed any other software.

Looking at Thaiphoon I still have the same CRC errors. So maybe thats just the software not knowing how to read Corsairs data?

If you look at the dumps, 2018-07-16 doesn't have all the timings/frequencies listed. I have not overclocked beyond turning XMP on then off at some point. All values should be default to my motherboard.

I dumped SPD from all 4 sticks, they all look identical by vbindiff byte by byte. So I don't believe it is a corrupted SPD.

Really hope I can resolve this by myself so I don't need to get them exchanged and live without a computer for possibly weeks :(

I dumped SPD from all 4 sticks, they all look identical by vbindiff byte by byte. So I don't believe it is a corrupted SPD.

Really hope I can resolve this by myself so I don't need to get them exchanged and live without a computer for possibly weeks :(

Shouldn't be SPD corruption causing it.

Will be great if you can provide some info on how you were able to get the sticks replaced.

When you say 1 module is not lit up are there two red LEDs lit up on the top and bottom?

I used to see one white LED towards bottom when I turn off the LED for all 4 sticks. now it's just completely off, regardless whether I turn the other 3 sticks on or off.

When you say 1 module is not lit up are there two red LEDs lit up on the top and bottom?

Archived