Corsair Community

Commander Mini + RGB Leds - Blinking Issue

specik

Hey all,

I have a Corsair Link Commander Mini which I run 8 radiator fans from along with 4 RGB LED strips. The issue I'm experiencing is that when the LED strips are on... every 10-20 seconds, the LEDs flash for a split second to be all white and bright before returning to being the color they were set to. This happens more frequently when the lights are set to cycle or pulse.

Anyone experience this issue? I can provide a video if it helps diagnose this. Since I sit right next to my computer, the flashing/blinking is really distracting / evident. Do I have a defective Commander Mini? Or is something else going on?

Thanks!

Update: When I exit the Corsair Link software on my computer (running Windows 8.1), the issue disappears. How odd.

Hey all,

I have a Corsair Link Commander Mini which I run 8 radiator fans from along with 4 RGB LED strips. The issue I'm experiencing is that when the LED strips are on... every 10-20 seconds, the LEDs flash for a split second to be all white and bright before returning to being the color they were set to. This happens more frequently when the lights are set to cycle or pulse.

Anyone experience this issue? I can provide a video if it helps diagnose this. Since I sit right next to my computer, the flashing/blinking is really distracting / evident. Do I have a defective Commander Mini? Or is something else going on?

Thanks!

Update: When I exit the Corsair Link software on my computer (running Windows 8.1), the issue disappears. How odd.

This a known issue.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=132837&page=11

For me it only seems to happen when the fans are set to a custom curve based on the temp of another component, GPU, CPU etc.

Setting the fans to a fixed rpm or % resolves the blinking, but that's hardly a solution since you cant dynamically control the lighting and the fans, which is the entire point of link...

• 7 months later...

Just to throw out there, the blinking bothered me to the point I turned off the LED's for a while. I then set them to white which made it less noticeable, and am now back to changing colours based on coolant temps without really noticing the blinking, I guess I gradually got use to it.

Only time I really notice it now is when I read about it or am sitting looking directly into the case. That's not to say I am not looking forward to it being fixed, but honestly its more of a bother when it flicks straight to my max temp set colour and I have to go in and click the LED's to reset them which will hopefully also be resolved at some point.

Not to say this will be the same for everyone, but cant hurt to give it a go on white and see how you go.

Just to throw out there, the blinking bothered me to the point I turned off the LED's for a while. I then set them to white which made it less noticeable, and am now back to changing colours based on coolant temps without really noticing the blinking, I guess I gradually got use to it.

Only time I really notice it now is when I read about it or am sitting looking directly into the case. That's not to say I am not looking forward to it being fixed, but honestly its more of a bother when it flicks straight to my max temp set colour and I have to go in and click the LED's to reset them which will hopefully also be resolved at some point.

Not to say this will be the same for everyone, but cant hurt to give it a go on white and see how you go.

The problem only happens if you use a custom curve. If you do not use a custom curve the LEDs will not blink.

I know it completely defeats the purpose to not use a custom curve but its the only work around.

The problem only happens if you use a custom curve. If you do not use a custom curve the LEDs will not blink.

I know it completely defeats the purpose to not use a custom curve but its the only work around.

Aye, I have read that, Ill live with the flaky LED's for now rather than not use custom curve though. My whole setup is planned out around link so that it will automatically control everything for me, which other than the LED's is working perfectly :)

Does any one have this problem when they power on their pc , when I turn mine on it also flickers the leds white for like half a second .

That's because your fans are changing speeds when you first turn on the PC. Normally the fans go full blast for about 10 seconds then reverts to their normal setting. When ever the fans change speeds it will cause the LEDs to blink.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
It's unfortunately a firmware issue with the Commander Mini and the firmware has been difficult for us to fix.

Thanks for your reply Dustin. Its been almost 10 months since you mentioned a fix was incoming in this thread with the issue being reported about 12 months ago.

To your knowledge do you think this is ever going to get resolved? I understand its been a difficult issue to nail but I can't be spending this kind of money on a product that doesn't function as expected and with no clear solution in sight unfortunately.

Thank you

Yes the problem need to be fixed before 2016. There will come competitors, as you can see NZXT have made a HUE and with CAM software and a APP. I think that they will make a new HUE with fan control etc. and if they do NZXT will be a big competitor, there LED software is 100%+ better right now then Corsair link.

Right now my light is just RGB 255 255 255 (White) and there is no RGB over it as long it's blink white. So plz, come with a fix fast Corsair!

Sorry for my bad english, hope you get the point.

Yes the problem need to be fixed before 2016. There will come competitors, as you can see NZXT have made a HUE and with CAM software and a APP. I think that they will make a new HUE with fan control etc. and if they do NZXT will be a big competitor, there LED software is 100%+ better right now then Corsair link.

Right now my light is just RGB 255 255 255 (White) and there is no RGB over it as long it's blink white. So plz, come with a fix fast Corsair!

Sorry for my bad english, hope you get the point.

I agree with this 100%

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello. I just bought a Corsair commander mini and when setting a custom fan curve my leds blink or flicker for just an instant. It does not matter on what color setting it's set but it seems that setting the custom fan curve does something. I have tried on link 4.2 and also link 3.5 and every time it's on a custom curve it does that. Also, setting the fans on performance stops the blinking behavior. I contacted support with Corsair and after lengthy discussions they said just to send back the unit but I'm not buying it. If it's hardware it should do it all the time, with any fan setting.

Does this match your problem guys?

I contacted support with Corsair and after lengthy discussions they said just to send back the unit but I'm not buying it. If it's hardware it should do it all the time, with any fan setting.

To me it sounds like this issue and assuming this then different hardware will not help. Basically the firmware needs to be fixed and thus far this and the other firmware bugs have not been.

It's unfortunately a firmware issue with the Commander Mini and the firmware has been difficult for us to fix.

Man I wish I would have seen this thread before buying the LED's.

The flashing is driving me my OCD nuts.

If I close the Corsair link application will my fixed RPM profiles stick? If so, I might just set the rpms's to what I want and then exit the application.

If you have fixed RPM the profile will stay that way. And the blinking will stop. If you use custom curves then it will remain at the last step in the curve that was on. Just do as you suggested and the blinking should stop.

• 3 months later...
Hey all,

Thanks!

I'm having this issue with my H110i CPU LED when cycling colour white / black or any colour.

Momentary white blink.

Its also occurring on a separate PC with another H110iGT.

Archived