Corsair Community

Commander Pro fan speed during boot

capricorn123290

I have my fan curve setup while the PC is running the way I like it, with one exception. When I boot the PC the fans run at full speed and it annoys my wife when I need to work in UEFI. Before the OS loads they are running at full blast. Is there any way to stop this behavior and get the to run at the speeds I have them set as in ICUE?

I have my fan curve setup while the PC is running the way I like it, with one exception. When I boot the PC the fans run at full speed and it annoys my wife when I need to work in UEFI. Before the OS loads they are running at full blast. Is there any way to stop this behavior and get the to run at the speeds I have them set as in ICUE?

So ... the fan curves are based on what temperature? GPU? Coolant? Something else?

The solution is to base your fan curves on one of the included temperature sensors (thermistors). That way the fan curve will be able to run in the hardware.

That may be the issue. I pulled the temp probes out a while back and rarely shut the PC down until recently as I have been messing around in UEFI. I have all of my fans running off of the coolant temp of my H100i.

A side question as far as what sensor to use for the the fans. Should I use the probes for the case fans and the coolant for the H100i and radiator fans or another setup?

You certainly should use coolant temp for the radiator fans. The cooler's internal controller will do this automatically and take those 2 fans out of the "blast loop" during boot. No need to have them on the Commander Pro.

Even though the coolant temp is Corsair specific, you still need the software active to have the cooler talk to the Commander. However, the workaround is easy. If you want case fans to run from coolant temp, take one of the probes from the C-Pro and run it to the exhaust side of the radiator. It does not need to be taped right in the middle. Having the little sensor tip stick out into the exhaust flow or edge of the radiator is enough. Exhaust air temp is approximately equal to coolant temperature, usually with a slight 1-2C fixed offset. That will be easy to see in the iCUE graph and you can essentially match curves, with a 1C difference. You can also use the temp probes to measure "hot spots", not only for data but because it makes for a good control source. A temp probe above the GPU or at the rear exhaust works for most people. I have a full water set-up with multiple radiators so the prior radiator exhaust temp trick as well as inline coolant sensors is perfect.

Aside from the fan blast on boot or unless you spend a lot of time with the software not running, there is no harm in using the other hardware sensor values. You just get the fan blast. I do spend some time without iCUE running and often do it when running other benchmarks or programs like AIDA64. That made it essential to set up fan curves based off the coolant temp probes. Best thing I ever did and my fans never get out of line. I had to run some extra fans from my motherboard for a few weeks recently and was appalled by the 3 second blast to 1000 rpm on boot. Apparently I have become spoiled. All back on the Commander Pro now.

I have all the fans connected to the commander pro. I'm running the pump itself off the motherboard (Wich still gets pulled up by icue). The pump is in push pull configuration synced to the coolant temp. I'll run the case fans through a probe off the radiator somewhereas you suggested. Thanks for the detailed responses.

Archived