Corsair Community

Please Critique My New Build Plans

Hello,

Thought I would lay out my thoughts and get some feedback to help me. I am in the planning stages for a new Intel build. Considered a system integrator, but decided to build to get exactly what I want and save some money in the process.

My use cases are 3440x1440 gaming with min to mod overclocking and CAD Design with 3D rendering of objects. This will be my main system for hopefully 5 years. I also want a work of art that looks beautiful in my office.

I appreciate any ideas or considerations those here may have.

Thanks,

Jerold

Case:

Corsair Obsidian 500d RGB SE

MB:

EVGA Z390 FTW

CPU:

Intel i9 9900k

GPU:

EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 vs EVGA 2080 XC

Ram:

Corsair DDR4 16GB (2x8) Vengance RGB Pro 3000Mhz C15

PSU

Corsair RM750i Vs RM850i

CPU Cooling:

Corsair H150i Pro RGB

Boot Storage:

Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 NVMe

Program Storage

Samsung 970 EVO 2TB M.2 NVMe

Case Fans:

Corsair LL140 RGB x 2 Case Top

Corsair LL120 RGB x 1 Case Back

Hey there ...

Just some initial thoughts - first, I'd go for more memory. 16 GB seems a little low for CAD and 3D rendering.

The NVMe drive is absolutely a must-have for the OS but you can save some money by using a regular SATA SSD for secondary storage without too much of a noticeable difference in performance. Plus, on the z390, you have a limited number of PCIe lanes and that extra NVMe drive will take from the available lanes. That may not be an issue for you but it might be worth considering. And the money you save on the SSD can go towards more RAM. ;)

You also want to be cognizant of the number of USB 2.0 headers that you are going to need. The cooler, the Commander Pro and the PSU will all use a header. With the CoPro that comes with the case, you have enough ... but no more for anything else should you need/want it.

Thanks for the idea to go Sata SSD for the secondary storage and put the savings into 32GB.

You also want to be cognizant of the number of USB 2.0 headers that you are going to need. The cooler, the Commander Pro and the PSU will all use a header. With the CoPro that comes with the case, you have enough ... but no more for anything else should you need/want it.

The commander pro has two usb headers, that I take can be used for the cooler and the PSU link. It looks like that leaves one USB2 header open for the case front USB. Not sure I would need any more, just not certain at this point. This is my first AIO CPU cooler and first RGB case.

Thank you,

Jerold

Hey there ...

Just some initial thoughts - first, I'd go for more memory. 16 GB seems a little low for CAD and 3D rendering.

The NVMe drive is absolutely a must-have for the OS but you can save some money by using a regular SATA SSD for secondary storage without too much of a noticeable difference in performance. Plus, on the z390, you have a limited number of PCIe lanes and that extra NVMe drive will take from the available lanes. That may not be an issue for you but it might be worth considering. And the money you save on the SSD can go towards more RAM. ;)

What DevBiker said.

Plus, are you really going to do serious work or is it primarily a gaming system? If you're actually going to do work, serious work, then buy the fastest RAM your board will support. It makes negligible difference for gaming purposes (sure, benchmarks will improve with faster RAM but it's questionable whether most people can actually tell the difference) but for cumulative render times it makes a difference.

Archived