The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Corsair Link

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2019, 08:46 PM

POST ID # = 992970
corsican Reputation: 10
Question CL fan setting preserved even *after* uninstalling Corsair link?

(initially posted this on wrong section nvm)

so I decided to test the corsair link on the RM750i & downloaded latest version v4.9.7.35 which installed on win7 64

turns out the app works well - too well :/

after tinkering a bit with the fan control & setting it to custom (which btw is similar to the seasonics hybrid mode: fan is minimum 40% then increases with load) I decided I didn't need the fan & opted to preserve fan life by returning to default mode (0 rpm on low loads)

the snag is I didn't reset to default in corsair link: I outright uninstalled the app while fan settings were still set at custom (Aida shows all the info even without CL installed as long as the usb cable's plugged into the mobo anyway)

...and to my surprise the fan remained at 40% on idle even after I uninstalled the app

I of course uninstalled both the CL app and the Corsair drivers compoents (in program manager), I even removed all corsair-related entries from registry & all corsair-related files & folders (as far as I can tell) and still the fan settings are where I left them before uninstalling CL

weirder still those settings seem to apply even outside windows: when PC starts, in BIOS etc.: the fan starts spinning (at 40% I presume, can't even hear it admittedly it's silent AF) and doesn't stop until shutdown

turning off & unplugging the PSU & waiting for the bulk cap to drain apparently doesn't change anything

> this means that the PSU has some sort of internal memory/ram/cmos/whatever that stores these settings right?

so question is is there a simple way to return the PSU fan to default settings without having to reinstall CL just for this?

it's a minor problem basically since the fan runs silent anyway & since it's FDB it will probably last real long with or without silent mode but I'm still intrigued

and I don't see a reset button on the PSU (only a fan test button)

Old 02-15-2019, 10:27 PM

POST ID # = 994433

so basically I was wondering if the link settings survive uninstall of the link app because they're in fact stored in a CMOS of sorts

I mean when you think about it it's a bit like overclocking apps like MSI afterburner: when overclocking a graphics card it's necessary to do it at every boot else the card settings revert back to default after PC is powered off

but in the case of the PSU it's not the same apparently is that correct? so the settings are stored in the PSU?

I reckon only a Corsair engineer could answer this so the question's addressed at them

Old 02-16-2019, 09:33 AM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 994479
c-attack c-attack Reputation: 103

Many of the "i" devices that have software control over the fan or device in some way also have the ability to save a simple control parameter to the device itself, which then governs behavior in the absence of the controlling software. This is most easily seen on the coolers, but I am not surprised the i-enabled PSUs work the same way.

Now you could have reinstalled Link and set a different fan profile in less time than it takes to write the post, but that may not matter anyway. Typically, once you overwrite the original fan profile on a device, there is no magic reset to put it back exactly as it was. You can certainly change it and the new one will apply, but you would need to know the prior curves control points. You would need a very methodical 750i owner who tracks this or the better path might be contacting Corsair officially through the Ticket Support System in the menu above. My guess is the PSU has silent mode, an initial fan start up point at temperature XX, then a maximum fan speed at 50-60C somewhere. I don't have this model, but several of my other branded PSUs have their factory control curve right on the side of the box. It would be easy to approximate it. It also might not matter so much. You know you need a good bit of fan speed at 50C. What happens underneath that is up to you. I prefer silent at sub 30C to keep it off on the desktop and then even the smallest bit of fan speed works better than passive when loaded.

*There it is. Go to the product page and download the Instruction PDF. Control curve is on page 6. Kicks in at 300W.
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Power/.../CP-9020082-NA

Last edited by c-attack; 02-16-2019 at 09:35 AM.

Old 02-16-2019, 01:27 PM

POST ID # = 994525

ey I know it'd be easy to reset it via software again

it's just that I'm curious how it works

for instance take MSI afterburner (for GPU's) when overclocking it's necessary to relaunch MSI afterburner on each startup else overclock settings are lost so clocks ain't stored on the GPU

on the other hand you're saying that the PSU does have some sort of CMOS?

I can see the plus side but also drawbacks - what if PSU is transfered to an old PC (with XP or linux) where CL ain't compatible: PSU will keep the last setting

furthermore does this persistence apply to ALL settings?

personally I just tinkered with something harmless (fan speed)

but what if I'd switched it from default multi-rail, to the (more dangerous) single-rail? would it get "stuck" on single-rail even outside windows then?

Old 02-16-2019, 07:42 PM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 994564
c-attack c-attack Reputation: 103

Afterburner and Precision XOC/X1 or similar programs are not going to be able to write to a cross-brand device by design. It is software overclocking and it is meant to be temporary. Obviously this is a Corsair program talking to a Corsair device. It was meant to used with the software, but obviously it still functions without. The act of installing the software, making a change, then uninstalling the software is a relinquishment of control, whatever your reasons for doing so. You have to live with it if you choose that path.

I am not going to get into the single rail vs multi "danger" discussion since it is both hypothetical and not my area of expertise. If we were having an argument, I would not concede the point of "inviting danger" by switching to single rail. Frankly you are more likely to cause damage to the PSU than by overly cutting fan speed than some type of catastrophic power spike. I also suspect there is fail safe trigger point for max fan speed, regardless of your settings, to prevent such an occurrence.

There are probably only one or two people who can answer your hypotheticals. I do not know if they will respond or not and I would suggest requesting the information from Corsair through the ticket system. Not sure if that will be what you want either, but no reason not to work both ends.

Last edited by c-attack; 02-16-2019 at 07:44 PM.