Corsair Community

Set up G key to toggle holding a keystroke

egret85

I can't figure out how to set up a G key on my K95 RGB to hold a key or series of keys until it is pressed again.

For example I want to be able to press the G key and have it start holding the key/keys and release the key/keys when pressed again. And example key would be 'W' or 'Shift+W'.

Something this basic shouldn't be so hard. My old keyboard had a toggle hold option when setting up a keystroke.

Is this possible with CUE? If not, It should be added as an option under the action repeat section for keystrokes, or add a way to add a pause to macros that pauses until the button is pressed again.

Remapping a key means I have to hold the G key to have the key held.

I want to be able to have a G key toggle holding a key. so pressing it once makes the keyboard hold the 'W' key for example. Pressing it again causes the release of the 'W' key.

So pressing and releasing the G key, I want to have a key or key combination held down until I press and release the same G key again.

Profiles -> Assignments -> right click a G key -> Massing new action. Everything you need is in Macro.

Macro do hot have the capability I need. I need to be able to have a G key TOGGLE HOLDING a key. This is very different than repeatedly pressing and releasing the key. The later, which is possible in macros as well as in the keystroke section, results in stuttering movement in a game if used for toggling the 'W' key for movement. I'm looking for a Toggle Hold capability. Other keyboards have this very simple option. Why does CUE not have it?

Here is an image that shows the different options that were available on my previous keyboard. Notice the "Toggle Hold" option which is different than "Toggle Auto-Repeat".

AdvancedPlayBackOptions.thumb.png.73389bb161048a5c5d0cbd961a48dc60.png

Yes delay can be added, but when i'm looking for has no delay involved. I want to be able to do the following (Assume 'G1' key and the need to hold the 'W' key for this example)

1. Press and release 'G1' key.

-CUE should perform a key press on 'W' key

2. Indeterminate amount of time passes.

3. Press and release 'G1' Key.

-CUE should perform a Key release on 'W' key

As you can see there is no delay involved. just a press and release of a desired key using a G key as the toggle. The only thing I have found that can be done is with a repeated keystroke or a macro repeated. In both cases the result is as if you repeatedly spam the key instead of hold the key down. I also don't understand why this concept is so difficult to grasp. Holding a key is not the same a repeatedly pressing a key.

Well since other keyboards that are competitors to corsair can do it, I hope it is a feature that can be added to an update of CUE. There are so many issues with the CUE software that actually impact the ability to use the keyboard for what it was designed for, gaming. Seems these kind of things are just being overlooked since all anyone wants to talk about is colors and light animation. Really wish some attention would be giving to fixing issues and missing features that impact gaming capability. Hopefully Corsair James sees this and can add this feature to the list of requested features.

Well since other keyboards that are competitors to corsair can do it, I hope it is a feature that can be added to an update of CUE. There are so many issues with the CUE software that actually impact the ability to use the keyboard for what it was designed for, gaming. Seems these kind of things are just being overlooked since all anyone wants to talk about is colors and light animation. Really wish some attention would be giving to fixing issues and missing features that impact gaming capability. Hopefully Corsair James sees this and can add this feature to the list of requested features.

no worries he sees everything.

• Corsair Employee

I'll add this to a feature request and see how difficult it is to implement. If its easy, it's more likely to be added in the near future.

The challenge Im facing now is where would I add such a feature? Would it be as a macro, or a keystroke?

I can't figure out how to set up a G key on my K95 RGB to hold a key or series of keys until it is pressed again.

For example I want to be able to press the G key and have it start holding the key/keys and release the key/keys when pressed again. And example key would be 'W' or 'Shift+W'.

Something this basic shouldn't be so hard. My old keyboard had a toggle hold option when setting up a keystroke.

Is this possible with CUE? If not, It should be added as an option under the action repeat section for keystrokes, or add a way to add a pause to macros that pauses until the button is pressed again.

You can do this functionality with 2 different keys with just CUE, but doing it all on one key seems difficult. You could probably pull it off with XML editing.

I'll add this to a feature request and see how difficult it is to implement. If its easy, it's more likely to be added in the near future.

The challenge Im facing now is where would I add such a feature? Would it be as a macro, or a keystroke?

I think Macros would be the best place as it would give the most flexibility. If macros had a way to add a pause step that waited until the key is pressed again to resume the macro, it would allow the following:

1. have any number of key press events

2. have pause step

3. have the key release events from the keys in step 1.

The right click menu in the macro screen could have a "Add Pause" option right after the "Add Delay" option. This seems similar to the existing option for "Allow interruptions and then resume". The manual describes this option as follows: "The macro will pause if the key assigned to the macro is pressed again. You can perform other input in the game, then press the key assigned to the macro again to finish running the macro." Only difference is having a way to add a step to the macro that causes this pause to happen without pressing the button to pause it. The pause step would pause the macro execution until the macro is pressed again. The trigger for detecting this should be similar to how the current "terminate when pressed again" option detects when the macro is pressed again to stop the macro. Doing it in Macro would allow more flexibility for key combinations. I also think most of the foundation work needed to do this would already exist in the code given what other options exist in CUE currently.

Also thanks for seeing if this can be added. Hope this information helps.

My League of Legends profile has XML modifications that allow me to switch to a mode and hit the Enter key at the same time. http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=134204

Here's how you would do what you're asking:

1. Make a profile with 3 modes. Two of these modes will contain the macros, while the third mode is just a necessity to make this work.

2. Make 2 separate macros for the key(s) you want held/released and assign them to the same key on both modes.

3. Delete the release events from the macro on the first mode, then delete the hold events from the macro on the second mode. Here's a picture showing what the first macro should look like:

http://i.imgur.com/14dQuJv.png

4. Go to the third mode and select any 2 keys: Assign the first to switch to the first mode, and assign the second to switch to the second mode.

5. Export the profile and export the 2 macros.

6. Open up the .prf file (I'd recommend using Notepad++ as it keeps everything tidy).

7. Search for the first mode in the .prf by name, then scroll down until you see the mode ID. It will look something like this:

<id>{23423432-42343423-4324-23423-423423-23423423}</id>

8. Take the ID (in between the <id> tags) and search for it until you find the mode switching action with <DirectModeId> tags around it.

9. Copy the Mode Switch action ID (it will be surrounded by <id> tags, with the name "Mode switching (some number)" right below it).

10. Open up the .act file from the macro for the first mode that you exported and add the following line above the </Action> line:

<ChainedId>mode switching action ID from step 9, including {} brackets</ChainedId>

11. Repeat steps 7-10 for the second mode.

12. Save the modified .act files and reimport them.

• Corsair Employee
I think Macros would be the best place as it would give the most flexibility. If macros had a way to add a pause step that waited until the key is pressed again to resume the macro, it would allow the following:

1. have any number of key press events

2. have pause step

3. have the key release events from the keys in step 1.

The right click menu in the macro screen could have a "Add Pause" option right after the "Add Delay" option. This seems similar to the existing option for "Allow interruptions and then resume". The manual describes this option as follows: "The macro will pause if the key assigned to the macro is pressed again. You can perform other input in the game, then press the key assigned to the macro again to finish running the macro." Only difference is having a way to add a step to the macro that causes this pause to happen without pressing the button to pause it. The pause step would pause the macro execution until the macro is pressed again. The trigger for detecting this should be similar to how the current "terminate when pressed again" option detects when the macro is pressed again to stop the macro. Doing it in Macro would allow more flexibility for key combinations. I also think most of the foundation work needed to do this would already exist in the code given what other options exist in CUE currently.

Also thanks for seeing if this can be added. Hope this information helps.

I was thinking under Macro too but there are complications if you're adding it as part of a macro sequence. If you hit it again to untoggle, what about the other sequences of the macro? Do they play out as well? And what if you have the macro to repeat? Is it going to toggle and untoggle every other playback?

Im thinking maybe it should be under keystroke.

I was thinking under Macro too but there are complications if you're adding it as part of a macro sequence. If you hit it again to untoggle, what about the other sequences of the macro? Do they play out as well? And what if you have the macro to repeat? Is it going to toggle and untoggle every other playback?

Im thinking maybe it should be under keystroke.

Well Macro already has cases where repeat options are disabled based on what else is selected. So if repeat was disabled when a pause action exists, then It would behave exactly like the "Allow interruptions" option except that there would be a way to trigger the pause as part of the macro. Then you press again to continue the macro, it should play out to completion. I was just thinking macro because there wouldn't be a limitation on the number of keys that could be held at the same time since you could do a key press for each and then pause and complete the macro which would have the key release events after the button is pressed again. If properly explained in docs, I don't see much issue with it in macro. Basically its up to a user to use it the way they need. Of course it could be use in a way that would have strange results, but the same can be said for creating a macro with a single key down event that will result in a key being stuck down. It all comes down to explaining what the action does so that people know what it will cause to occur in the macro. It just seems like most of the parts needed already exists in the macro part of CUE. Of course having this kind of think able to repeat would cause confusion, so I'd just adjust the allowable options for action repeat and macro termination accordingly. Just thinking about flexibility so that it provides the greatest capability for gaming. Since Keystrokes is very limited for multiple key combinations I think having it there would be unnecessarily limiting.

• Corsair Employee
Well Macro already has cases where repeat options are disabled based on what else is selected. So if repeat was disabled when a pause action exists, then It would behave exactly like the "Allow interruptions" option except that there would be a way to trigger the pause as part of the macro. Then you press again to continue the macro, it should play out to completion. I was just thinking macro because there wouldn't be a limitation on the number of keys that could be held at the same time since you could do a key press for each and then pause and complete the macro which would have the key release events after the button is pressed again. If properly explained in docs, I don't see much issue with it in macro. Basically its up to a user to use it the way they need. Of course it could be use in a way that would have strange results, but the same can be said for creating a macro with a single key down event that will result in a key being stuck down. It all comes down to explaining what the action does so that people know what it will cause to occur in the macro. It just seems like most of the parts needed already exists in the macro part of CUE. Of course having this kind of think able to repeat would cause confusion, so I'd just adjust the allowable options for action repeat and macro termination accordingly. Just thinking about flexibility so that it provides the greatest capability for gaming. Since Keystrokes is very limited for multiple key combinations I think having it there would be unnecessarily limiting.

I'll talk to the team and brainstorm a bit more. I'll also need to find out of if it is possible to implement and how long if so.

Awesome. Thanks!

I would just like to add that I have been wanting to do this too. I have been trying to figure out a way to macro a button to toggle right mouse click but haven't been able to figure it out.

I hold down right mouse click quite often while playing mmo's and this would save my mouse a ton.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

It's really not hard to implement this functionality at all. There are plenty of gaming websites with posted auto-clickers written by script-kiddies that can hold down a key. The one I've used previously is barely 300k in size. The size of the code actually related to holding down a key is only a minor fraction of that file.

If Corsair's software engineers want to see how they did it, I can point them in the right direction to where to find this code since I'm probably not allowed to cite other websites by name.

• 4 months later...
PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD ADD THIS SIMPLE FUNCTION IN ITS DRIVING ME INSANE! I want to bind my run key (W) to my sabre RGB middle/middle button (ie the sniper button) to run or hold a throttle in a air simulator without the repeated stuttering im experiencing. it really isn't complicated guys i beg you

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah this needs to be fixed ASAP. I just bought a K95 keyboard to replace a Razer BlackWidow that I spilled water on.

This worked perfectly on the BlackWidow. I'd set a run macro for a game like BF4, which would simply be a Down W and Down Shift with the up key portion deleted from the macro.

This worked great on the that keyboard because when I pressed the W and Shift the macro would stop. So there was no extra key push. I would push the macro key to start running, if I wanted to stop running I would just press the W key and stop.

I'm amazed that this functionality was overlooked for this keyboard and software. I'm seriously considering returning this keyboard. It's a premium product that doesn't do what I need it to do =/

Archived