Corsair Community

Has my TX950 gone off the deep end?

filtrete867

I originally posted about this over on Tom's Hardware forums, but never got a response back. My posting can be read in it's entirety here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2009079/psu-deep-end.html

Put shortly, I'm beginning to think that my TX950 is the root cause of the weird issues I've been having with my computer over the last couple of months. These issues have included BIOS problems, game freezes, data corruption, inability to save files, and more.

I've stress tested or replaced almost every major component in my system and have been unable to tract down anything faulty. The only major component that I don't have a detailed test for is the PSU.

The TX950 does have a decent amount of whine going on, but I'm not sure whether this is normal or the sign of a problem. The whine varies based on the load with the system, and is most pronounced when the video card is placed under a rapidly varying load via a stress test.

In any case, the PSU is still under it's factory warranty from Corsair. I just don't want to waste my time and resources with an RMA if the PSU is not faulty.

he TX950 does have a decent amount of whine going on, but I'm not sure whether this is normal or the sign of a problem. The whine varies based on the load with the system, and is most pronounced when the video card is placed under a rapidly varying load via a stress test.

Coil whine is actual pretty common. And No, it's not a sign of impending doom. LO It really isn't going to hurt much other then your ears if it's loud enough. If it's louder than the rest of your system then you can have it RMA'd for that.

What are the PSU's voltages reading in your BIOS?

Do you have access to a digital multimeter? That would be the best way to test the P{SU's voltages and get a true reading.

It's either that or test your system with another PSU if you have a spare or know someone willing to let you borrow one.

I performed some voltage checks as per peanutz94's recommendation. System voltages were taken with HWiNFO64 4.32-2100, while the multimeter voltages were taken with a Klein MM200 connected to a spare Molex header. For the load tests, EVGA OC Scanner 3.4.0.1 and Intel Burn Test 2.54 were run simultaneously. The results were as follows:

System voltage, at idle:

+12V: 12.10V

+5V: 5.04V

+3.3V: 3.29V

System Voltages, under load:

+12V: 12.05V

+5V: 5.01V

+3.3V: 3.24V

Multimeter Voltages, spare Molex header, at idle

+12V: 12.20V

+5V: 5.12V

Multimeter voltages, spare Molex header, under load (Interestingly, the +12V rose under load)

+12V: 12.22V

Voltages from the Hardware Monitor page of the system BIOS:

+12V: 12.05V

+5V: 5.04V

+3.3V: 3.26V

Mulitmeter voltages on the ATX header, power supply jumpered with paper clip

+12V: 12.19V

+3.3V: 3.35V

So, all of the voltages are well within ATX specifications, both at idle and under load. Even if the voltage is not the issue, I wonder if there is some kind of odd transient or ripple that I cannot pick up with my multimeter or through the system monitors. I don't have easy access to a oscilloscope at the moment, so I can't test for those.

So, all of the voltages are well within ATX specifications, both at idle and under load. Even if the voltage is not the issue, I wonder if there is some kind of odd transient or ripple that I cannot pick up with my multimeter or through the system monitors. I don't have easy access to a oscilloscope at the moment, so I can't test for those.

Eh, you really don't need to go rthat far. If it's bothersome to you simply apply for an RMA. Coil whine is caused by many things and some of them don't even involve the PSUI directly. Graphics cards among the top of them , but just about any add in card can cause coil whine, ungrounded house outlets, dirty line power coming in to the house and so on.

Honestly i would just let them replace it for you and see if a second one does the same thing on your system.

Archived