Corsair Community

Corsair Utility Engine locking up / constant malfunctions

Woofington

I have a K65 RGB, and while I want to love it, it has been nothing but unreliable. When I start the corsair utility engine, everything seems fine for ~15 minutes. Then inevitably it stops working properly. Every 10 seconds the utility locks up for ~15 seconds, and it loses the ability to communicate with my keyboard. No matter what my settings I change nothing is reflected on my keyboard. And if I go to the device tab it shows the keyboard listed as "malfunction". I can then close and reopen the utility but from here on out it will consistently be in malfunction until I restart my computer in which upon restart I will get about 15 minutes of normal operation out of it.

Things I have tried doing that have had no effect:

-I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the corsair utility engine.

-I have tried plugging into both usb cords into usb 2.0 ports, following instructions found on this forum and plugging them in in the correct order (Arrow first, keyboard second).

-I have tried only plugging in the keyboard plug into a usb3.0 port.

-Updating the firmware on my keyboard. I can confirm that my keyboard has the latest firmware loaded onto it.

All of these attempts have resulted in no change, and this odd behavior persists.

Effectively this keyboard is just a keyboard now, it has never lost its ability to type and even now I am posting this on the keyboard despite it being in a state of "malfunction". What does stop is any and all lighting animations, and the ability to change lighting profiles, use macros, use the brightness button and even the windows lock button stops working. However the sound controls still function.

Any assistance here would be great, I would love for my keyboard to work properly as I love the feel and look of it.

edit: Doing some more experimentation I found out that unplugging and replugging the usb back in has the effect of letting the windows lock and brightness buttons work but the corsair utility software is still unable to talk to the device and lists it as "malfunction".

double edit: I have found out that if I right click on the tray in the bottom right of the screen, and select quit, the process is still running in the background. So if I kill the process in my taskmanager for the corsair utility software, and then unplug my keyboard, relaunch the software, and replug my keyboard back in it acts similarly to how it acts when I reboot, working for a short period of time. This alleviates the need for a reboot but the problem is still present.

• Corsair Employee

Woofington, we are working to resolve this random issue. Can you send me your device logs so I can pass both your system configuration and the logs to our team?

Also, are you doing anything specific to cause the malfunction? And have you updated your BIOS (v1304) and chipset drivers to eliminate that as a possibility?

Woofington, we are working to resolve this random issue. Can you send me your device logs so I can pass both your system configuration and the logs to our team?

Also, are you doing anything specific to cause the malfunction? And have you updated your BIOS (v1304) and chipset drivers to eliminate that as a possibility?

James, how do I access my device logs? As soon as I figure out how I certainly can send them your way.

As to your other questions: No I am not doing anything specific to cause the malfunction, in so far as I can tell. It just seems to happen within ~15 minutes of it operating normally. Yes, I have updated both BIOS and chipset drivers.

Do you think it could be hardware related? I am on my way to best buy today to exchange it with a new one in the hopes that the problem is related to the hardware.

To access the log you can either use CUE, under settings, support you should see a TAB named "View Logs" or you can access the log directly through Windows Explorer under

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Corsair\HID\logs

Hope this helps.

Attached are my log files. Thanks for the help!

edit: Fun fact, running advanced report causes the CUE to lock up.

Simple system information:

GPU : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

CPU : Intel® Core i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz

Memory : 16.00 GB RAM (15.94 GB usable)

Current resolution : 1920 × 1080, 60 Hz; 1920 × 1080, 59 Hz

Operating system : Microsoft Windows 8.1

logs.zip

I had this same issue w/ my K95 RGB. I was by customer service told to: a) delete the corsair folder in %appdata%; b) disable CUE loading on boot.

I'm not sure which one solve it, but my keyboard has been running great ever since (I'm sure I had to power down first).

YMMV

I have the very same problems with my K70 - at some times the keyboard gets stuck in background colors and CUE hangs and freezes.

Specs:

GPU : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti,Intel® HD Graphics 4600

CPU : Intel® Core i5-4690K CPU @ 3.50GHz

Memory : 8,00 GB RAM (7,84 GB usable)

Current resolution : 1920 × 1080, 60 Hz

Operating system : Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro

I deleted the Corsair folder from %appdata%, will see if this works.

I am using some simple home-made profiles and one more complicated:

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=133310

logs.zip

I had this same issue w/ my K95 RGB. I was by customer service told to: a) delete the corsair folder in %appdata%; b) disable CUE loading on boot.

I'm not sure which one solve it, but my keyboard has been running great ever since (I'm sure I had to power down first).

YMMV

Tried this, had absolutely no change, still broken.

I'm having about the same problem, my keyboard works for a long time (often 1-3 hours, I'm enjoying the flashy light show and then all of a sudden they just freeze and I get a malfunction in the software. Also, I seemed to notice that once when I was playing CS:GO, i tabbed out and back in, while going in, the keyboard froze and I got the same malfunction. I have found a temporary fix (unplugging and plugging the USB cables back in) but I would like a permanent one. I am using USB 2.0 and my BIOS is fully updated. Would love a fix soon, thanks.

EDIT: I've been able to observe that when tabbing in and out of games, or when a game seems to be under a lot of load, that's when my k70 freezes.

I want to confirm that and say when the CUE software freezes up I have to ctrl alt del and end the CUE process, replug the keyboard, then re open up CUE to re enable the lighting. The keyboard itself works fine during the freeze ups its just the lighting that is frozen so it just seems CUE is "sensitive". for me its when other usb devices are plugged in that CUE has a pretty good chance to crash. Other times its just a random crash while nothing is really going on

I'm having the exact same issues as the original poster with the K95 RGB. It does not ever work consistently. It almost always locks up. Keyboard works for typing. Lighting and Corsair Utility Engine always lock up. If anyone can help with this it would be greatly appreciated.

Specs:

CPU: AMD FX-8350 @4.33ghz

MOBO: ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX/GEN3 R2.0

GPU: ASUS HD7970-DC2-3GD5 Radeon HD 7970 3GB

MEM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600

PSU: CORSAIR AX760 760W Platinum Cert

logs.zip

Hi There,

I'm having similar issues with my K95 and have been since I got the keyboard a couple weeks ago.

List of issues:

• Keyboard malfunctions when launching most games.
  • Keyboard malfunctions after random periods of time.
  • CUE software hogs memory and locks up when navigating tabs.
  • GKeys can't be used while keyboard is in malfunction state.
  • Keyboard lighting remains on after computer is shut down, have to unplug it every time.
  • 50% of the time the keyboard is unresponsive on startup and has to be unplugged and plugged back in.
  • Keyboard can't be used to wake the computer.

Specs:

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V

RAM: Corsair Vengence 8GB

CPU: i5 3570k

GFX: EVGA GTX 770

I've attached my HID Logs as others have. I've tried every possible solution listed on this forum to no avail. As another user put it, I did not pay this amount of money to beta test a product, fixes to the software and firmware need to be released ASAP.

logs.zip

sorry I forgot to mention before but I was just posting earlier as a continuation because I opened a thread about the same issue, but I have this issue with the K70 and I see a lot of variety here with K95 and K65 having the same issue with CUE.

Product:Corsair Gaming K70 RGB MX Cherry Blue

Mobo: ASUS Z87-A LGA for Intel Chipset

RAM: 8 GB DDR3 HyperX Black Series

CPU: i5-4570

GPU: EVGA 2GB SC GTX 660

Archived