Corsair Community

H80i high temperature at core clock and 4.2GHz - i5 3570k

maurlind

High! I have recently bought the H80i cooler for my i5 3570k. I started to notice when i tried to overclock that my temperature went to 90 degrees Celsius at 4.2 GHz on load, and 40 at idle. So i clocked down to normal 3.8 GHz in turbo and the temperature went to 70 at load and around 38 at idle. I have re applied my thermal paste and re mounted it two times but still i get the same results.

Is my unit broken or is this normal, because my stock cooler had the same temperature at load and idle.

My friend who has H100i runs at 4.5 Ghz at 60 degrees but he has i i5 2500k sandy bridge.

Best regards Maurlind!

Hi!

The stock fans is running in push/pull!

The max rpm is 2700, and no they are not running at max speed at 70 or 90 degrees!!.

They are just running at the mode that is selected, I have them set to "quiet mode". The fans don't adjust their speed by their own, I have to manually change it.

But I shouldn't have to set the fans to max speed to get decent temperatures on idle and load temps. Or should they run like a turbine to get 30 idle temperature?

Best regards maurlind!

I'm running two Noctua fans and two Aerocool Dead Silence fans on my h100i. They max out a 1500rpms. I have a custom curve setup for them to max out at 45c. When I render videos in Premiere Pro I get 100% cpu utilization and I never get over 45c cpu temps. But, my fans are going at 1500rpm. They're fairly quiet at that speed, too.

But I shouldn't have to set the fans to max speed to get decent temperatures on idle and load temps. Or should they run like a turbine to get 30 idle temperature?

Best regards maurlind!

idle temps really dont matter like your load temps and ambient temp plays a big part in both.

i have over 1k in a custom loop and right now my idle temp is 36 with ambient temp of 29,,which is actually spot on for the two.

yours seem a tad high tho and the 2 most common causes are a bad paste spread or the backplate is upside down,,the 2 small cutouts must up...

Doesn't matter fans don't make a huge difference. What's your stock voltage. Thus question should of been asked earlier guys. Load with something and monitor voltage in cpuz. My guess is something wrong with mount or pump. Check the voltage first tho. Also check tube coming out of pump if 1 is very hot and 1 is cool you have an issue. Idle at 40 is high for intel. Unless something issues loading cpu issues n background. Also monitor temps using real temp.

I tried remounting it again, but this time a added a total 8 m4 washers to make the back plate tighter, but this did not change anything, still get around 40 degrees.

From CPU Z my stock voltage is 1.048V on load it gets to 1.120V

A short test in prime 95 made them go to 62 degrees. With the fans speed set to "Default", which is around 1600rpm in idle and 1900rpm in load.

I need to do a longer test, but still seems high.

I did feel on the tubes, couldn't feel any temperature difference between them.

It doesn't seems that fans in quiet mode the wont react to change in temperature, they will always stay at the same rpm levels. Should it be like that?

Do you guys always have them in default, because it gets loud with stock fans :S

Best Regards maurlind!

Hi!

The stock fans is running in push/pull!

The max rpm is 2700, and no they are not running at max speed at 70 or 90 degrees!!.

They are just running at the mode that is selected, I have them set to "quiet mode". The fans don't adjust their speed by their own, I have to manually change it.

Best regards maurlind!

That's where I figured he's running stock.

Temps in the room is around 20 degrees.

I have two fans in the front blowing in. One fan blowing in air fron the bottom. Two fans in the top blowing out air at low speed around 500rpm. And finaly my h80i fans in push/pull blowing out air.

Best regards maurlind!

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the help.

I returned my unit and got a new one back!

Turns out my first unit was broken because this one work great!

Sadly I only got up to 4.4GHz at 1.31V . Max load temp at 80 degrees celsius and idle around 30-35. The goal was 4.5 or higher, tried 4.5 at 1.35v, wasn't stable and was afraid to go past 1.35v.

Best regards Maurlind!

Archived