Corsair Community

help with Corsair TWINX1024 and ASUS A7N8X2.0 Deluxe

hang_5

HI, I try to get some technical help for my ASUS A7N8X2.0 Deluxe in combination with Corsair TWINX1024-3200XL 1GB Kit DDR400 XMS3200 Dual-Channel

I recently bougth 2 x 512 MB modules of Corsair TWINX1024-3200XL 1GB Kit DDR400 XMS3200 Dual-Channel to run them in my mboard which is a ASUS A7N8X2.0 Deluxe ACPI BIOS Rev 1007. This Modules do not work in any slot combination. It dos not work Slot 1 and 3, Slot 2 and 3 and also not Slot 1 and 2. The modules even do not work if I put only 1 Corsair 512 MB module into slot 1. Booting the PC I get the voice information " Memory failure". Only if i put one old Infineon DDR-SDRAM PC2700 - 512 MBytes into slot one and the two corsair modules into slot 2 and 3 the PC boots with 1532 MB memory. What do I have to do to get only the two Corsair Modules up and running? Attached please find a hardware report which shows the actual configuration.

CPU(s)

Number of CPUs 1

Name AMD Athlon XP

Code Name Barton

Specification AMD Athlon

Family / Model / Stepping 6 A 0

Extended Family / Model 7 A

Package Socket A

Technology 0.13 µ

Supported Instructions Sets MMX, Extended MMX, 3DNow!, Extended 3DNow!, SSE

CPU Clock Speed 1143.9 MHz

Clock multiplier x 11.5

Front Side Bus Frequency 99.5 MHz

Bus Speed 198.9 MHz

L1 Data Cache 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size

L1 Instruction Cache 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size

L2 Cache 512 KBytes, 16-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size

L2 Speed 1143.9 MHz (Full)

L2 Location On Chip

L2 Data Prefetch Logic yes

L2 Bus Width 64 bits

Mainboard and chipset

Motherboard manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer INC.

Motherboard model A7N8X2.0, REV 1.xx

BIOS vendor Phoenix Technologies, LTD

BIOS revision ASUS A7N8X2.0 Deluxe ACPI BIOS Rev 1007

BIOS release date 10/06/2003

Chipset nVidia nForce2 Ultra 400 rev. C1

Southbridge nVidia nForce2 MCP-T rev. A4

Sensor chip Asus ASB100

Graphic Interface AGP

AGP Status enabled, rev. 3.0

AGP Data Transfer Rate 8x

AGP Max Rate 8x

AGP Side Band Addressing supported, enabled

AGP Aperture Size 64 MBytes

Memory

DRAM Type DDR-SDRAM

DRAM Size 1536 MBytes

DRAM Frequency 99.5 MHz

FSB:DRAM 1:1

CAS# Latency 2.0 clocks

RAS# to CAS# 2 clocks

RAS# Precharge 2 clocks

Cycle Time (TRAS) 5 clocks

# of memory modules 3

Module 0 Corsair DDR-SDRAM PC3200 - 512 MBytes

Module 1 Infineon DDR-SDRAM PC2700 - 512 MBytes

Module 2 Corsair DDR-SDRAM PC3200 - 512 MBytes

Software

Windows version Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Service Pack 4 (Build 2195)

DirectX version 9.0c

Check your processor's FSB settings in the BIOS. Your processor is running on only a 100MHz FSB (effective DDR200 speed). Also, you are mixing your old and new memory, which will not work.

Judging by the multiplier, you have an Athlon XP 2600+ (Barton), which runs at a stock 1.91GHz.

I'd recommend that you go into your system's BIOS with just the new Corsair modules installed, and check your processor's FSB settings. Manually set your FSB speed to 166/333 MHz (since all Barton-core CPU's use a 166/333 or a 200/400 FSB), and then manually set your DDR voltage to 2.8V. Finally, set your memory's clockspeed to DDR333.

Thanks for the answer, but I can't get into the BIOS with just the new Corsair modules installed. That's what I wrote and tried to explain in my thread

I only can get into the BIOS with the 1 x 512 Infineon at Slot 1 and the 2 x 512 Corsair at Slot 2 and 3. Only using the Corsair dos not work with no slot combination and even as a single module in slot 1 I get the Memory failure message and the system stops booting.

I would like to find a solution which avoids to run the old with the new DDR, but if I can't get into the BIOS, what can I do?

Thanks for the answer, but I can't get into the BIOS with just the new Corsair modules installed. That's what I wrote and tried to explain in my thread

I only can get into the BIOS with the 1 x 512 Infineon at Slot 1 and the 2 x 512 Corsair at Slot 2 and 3. Only using the Corsair dos not work with no slot combination and even as a single module in slot 1 I get the Memory failure message and the system stops booting.

I would like to find a solution which avoids to run the old with the new DDR, but if I can't get into the BIOS, what can I do?

If you can't even POST with just a single 3200XL module, chances are that you have a hardware compatibility issue between the memory and the motherboard. And Corsair may not exchange modules or accept RMA requests in the event of hardware compatibility issues (they will RMA or exchange only if the modules are defective).

Do you have another PC3200-based system that you can test the 3200XL modules on?

Do you have another PC3200-based system that you can test the 3200XL modules on? No I don't have.

Having a hardware compatibility issue between the memory and the motherboard is what I assumed first when I tried to run the mboard with only the Corsair memory. But how can it be, that the two Corsair DDR-SDRAM PC3200 - 512 MBytes run, if I put them together with the Infineon DDR-SDRAM PC2700 - 512 MBytes? It shows DRAM Size 1536 MBytes.

As far as I know, and I don't know much about BIOS settings, all those options which have a "AUTO" function are on "AUTO".

Can it be that the actual BIOS revision ASUS A7N8X2.0 Deluxe ACPI BIOS Rev 1007, BIOS release date 10/06/2003, can not recognice the

Corsair DDR-SDRAM PC3200 with such "AUTO" function at the BIOS and that the BIOS needs to be upgraded?

What happens if I would follow Your instructions and would manually set FSB speed to 166/333 MHz, then manually set the DDR voltage to 2.8V and finally, set memory's clockspeed to DDR333, while the memory is on the mboard the way it is now?

Module 0 Corsair DDR-SDRAM PC3200 - 512 MBytes,

Module 1 Infineon DDR-SDRAM PC2700 - 512 MBytes,

Can't find an option at BIOS to set memory's clockspeed to DDR333? Is it memory frequency [by SPD]? and in case it is, which configuration options in % [by SPD] and % [sYNC] is aeqivalent to clockspeed DDR333?

Would this be an alternative to change the BIOS settings while the Infineon DDR-SDRAM PC2700 - 512 MBytes is in (which makes it rigth now the only possibility for me to access the BIOS) and after the manually changes to dissassamble the Infineon memory?

I found the following informations at asus.com

How do I utilize Dual-Channel DDR feature?

You will require to install two or three DDR memory modules on A7N8X to utilize Dual-Channel DDR. You may install the memory in the following sequence: Socket1 and Socket3, or Socket2 and Socket3, or Socket1 and Socket2 and Socket3.

Note whoevel: Only the last option worked but with the Infineon memory at socket 1. I am not shure about the sockets and the numbers? For me socket1 is the left slot (brown) which is close to socket 2 (blue). Socket 3 (blue) is to the rigth in some distance to socket 1 and 2?

How can I let PC3200 DDR memory run at 400MHz on A7N8X?

You can enter BIOS "Advanced->Advanced chipset features" menu and set "Memory Frequency" to [by SPD] to let the motherboard detect the SPD and set the memory frequency automatically. Normally, PC3200 DDR memory can run on 400MHz properly. If not, you can set "Memory Frequency" to [200%] if you use 200MHz FSB Duron or Athlon, [150%] if you use 266MHz FSB Athlon or AthlonXP, or even [120%] if you use 333MHz AthlonXP.

Note whoevel: This I don't understand at all?

Yes good idea to change User Name... I tried it, but there is no possibility at the forum to do so. If You can please change to >hang_5< and same password. Thanks.

Is that what You asking for? I got this out from the cpuz test report.

Clock multiplier x 11.5

Bus Speed 198.9 MHz

If this is not what You are looking for.....Where can I find? What is your CPU speed and FSB

And last what You mean with >Just PM me< ?

Thanks for the change of my user name and to go ahead with the thread...

Ram Guy asked: What is your CPU speed and FSB?

I answered: Is that what You asking for? I got this out from the cpuz test report.

Clock multiplier x 11.5

Bus Speed 198.9 MHz

If this is not what You are looking for.....Where can I find?, what my CPU speed and FSB is?

Thanks for the change of my user name and to go ahead with the thread...

Ram Guy asked: What is your CPU speed and FSB?

I answered: Is that what You asking for? I got this out from the cpuz test report.

Clock multiplier x 11.5

Bus Speed 198.9 MHz

If this is not what You are looking for.....Where can I find?, what my CPU speed and FSB is?

You see, many Socket A motherboards default the CPU's FSB speed to 100MHz (200MHz effective) - the fail-safe setting, regardless of the CPU installed. And IIRC all of the Barton-core CPUs use a 166MHz or a 200MHz FSB frequency (333MHz or 400MHz effective FSB speed, respectively). But with your CPU's multiplier of 11.5x, that would be beyond that of a 3200+ if your FSB frequency is 200MHz (bus speed 400MHz). In this case, you have a 2600+ with a FSB frequency of 166MHz (Bus Speed 333MHz).

Okay and thanks. I put the processor at the BIOS to 166 Mhz and ran a new report, which follows.

But what helps this with my original question and the Corsair Ram Modules? What do I have to do further more?

CPU-Z Report CPU-Z version 1.31.

CPU(s)

Number of CPUs 1

Name AMD Athlon XP

Code Name Barton

Specification AMD Athlon XP 2600+

Package Socket A

Technology 0.13 µ

CPU Clock Speed 1913.1 MHz

Clock multiplier x 11.5

Front Side Bus Frequency 166.4 MHz

Bus Speed 332.7 MHz

L2 Speed 1913.1 MHz (Full)

L2 Location On Chip

L2 Bus Width 64 bits

Mainboard and chipset

BIOS revision ASUS A7N8X2.0 Deluxe ACPI BIOS Rev 1007

BIOS release date 10/06/2003

Sensor chip Asus ASB100

Graphic Interface AGP

AGP Max Rate 8x

Memory

DRAM Type DDR-SDRAM

DRAM Size 1536 MBytes

DRAM Frequency 166.4 MHz

CAS# Latency 2.5 clocks

RAS# to CAS# 3 clocks

RAS# Precharge 3 clocks

Cycle Time (TRAS) 7 clocks

# of memory modules 3

Module 1 Infineon DDR-SDRAM PC2700 - 512 MBytes

Software

DirectX version 9.0c

In your case, it's best to leave the memory speed at 166MHz/DDR333 (or memory divider at 1:1) and timings as detected by the BIOS from the modules' SPD. (With all three DIMM slots filled with double-sided modules, the nForce2 memory controller supports only DDR333/166MHz memory speed maximum.) In addition, you will want to bump up the DDR voltage to 2.8V with all three memory slots filled.

Thanks, but don't You think that it would be more effective instead of using "mixed" memory using only the two "twin tested" Corsair modules running them on 333 MHz?

I am also afraid, that if "someday" the Infineon module dos not work anymore I am stucked, because rigth now the Mboard dos not work in no slot combination with only the two Corsair modules?

So my main intention is to find out how to get only the Corsair modules up and running. Dos this make sense to You?

I case that is not possible, what You mean by?:"In addition, you will want to bump up the DDR voltage to 2.8V with all three memory slots filled." and where to I do it?

I got no answer since a couple of days. Let's take it that way, plain and simple.

Dear RAMGUYS How do I get to run my ASUS A7N8X2.0 Deluxe in combination with Corsair TWINX1024-3200XL 1GB Kit DDR400 XMS3200 Dual-Channel and without the Infineon DDR-SDRAM PC2700 - 512 MBytes?

I gave You all the infomations needed and I please need a simple answer.

Thank You

• Corsair Employee

You should not mix these modules. Please just use our XMS3200XL modules in slots 2-3 and then load setup defaults and set these settings and test the system with http://www.memtest.org.

CPU Freq: 166 MHz

System Performance: User Define

Memory Frequency: 100%

Dim Voltage to 2.8 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 166MHz

Memory Timings: Manual/User Define

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 2T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 2T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 5T

Dear RamGuy that's exactly what I want!

To use only the corsair modules at slot 2 and 3 (blue slot ones), but as I wrote in this thread...... I only make it to the BIOS if I mix the two corsair modules with the one infineon mudule. No way to make it to the BIOS by using only the Cosrair modules in whatever slot combination is possible.

If I try to boot only with the corsair modules I get a voice message "memory failure" and the system get halted even before I am at the BIOS

So can I do at the BIOS what You suggest manually while the Infenion module is in? Than take it out and put only the corsair modules into the two blue slots....Would this work?

I allready have set the .CPU Freq: 166 MHz and it worked but I am not sure about the rest

Dim Voltage to 2.8 Volts

• 2 months later...

I know this is an older thread, but I was out of the country for a while.

In the meanwhile Corsair changed the two TWINX1024-3200XL Ram modules for two CMX512-3200XL (XMS3208v1.2). Thanks for that!

I put the latest BIOS release on the ASUS A7N8X2.0 Deluxe which is 1.8 and the PC is still running fine, but only with the 512 MB Infineon module.

But than when I try to use the Corsair modules I can only access the BIOS and when it comes to start W2K SP4 it crashes with bluscreen or goes into a random boot slope.

I have most of the BIOS options on Auto. I am now wondering how to set up the BIOS manually?

Can someone help me with what I have to put manually into the BIOS to make the two CMX512-3200XL (XMS3208v1.2) work with the ASUS A7N8X2.0 Deluxe?

I have AMD Athlon XP , Code Name Barton , Specification AMD Athlon and have no clue what You mean with >A 100 FSB in the BIOS is not right and wrong jumpers<

All I know is that the PC is working fine with one 512 MB Infineon Module. But if I take this module out and put the matching two 512 MB Corsair modules in I get bluescreen crash when in comes to start W2K SP4.

What would be the manual Setup for the BIOS to use those Corsair modules?

Sorry to confuse you.

My mind was wandering.

This wouldn't apply in your situation.

Your CPU should be at 11.5x333=1917MHz.

Here are the settings:

Dim Voltage to 2.8 Volts

Try clearing the CMOS before making any changes.

Hey Savage, that's what You can call EXCELLENT SUPPORT. Thanks a lot and it looks like as if we finally can close this thread.

Here is what CPU-Z says after doing the changes which You recommended.

Do I have anything else to do?

CPU-Z Report

CPU-Z version 1.31.

CPU(s)

Number of CPUs 1

Name AMD Athlon XP

Code Name Barton

Specification AMD Athlon XP 2600+

Package Socket A

Technology 0.13 µ

CPU Clock Speed 1913.1 MHz

Clock multiplier x 11.5

Front Side Bus Frequency 166.4 MHz

Bus Speed 332.7 MHz

L2 Speed 1913.1 MHz (Full)

L2 Location On Chip

L2 Bus Width 64 bits

Mainboard and chipset

BIOS revision ASUS A7N8X2.0 Deluxe ACPI BIOS Rev 1008

BIOS release date 08/04/2004

Sensor chip Asus ASB100

Graphic Interface AGP

AGP Max Rate 8x

Memory

DRAM Type DDR-SDRAM

DRAM Size 1024 MBytes

DRAM Frequency 166.4 MHz

CAS# Latency 2.0 clocks

RAS# to CAS# 2 clocks

RAS# Precharge 2 clocks

Cycle Time (TRAS) 5 clocks

# of memory modules 2

Module 1 Corsair DDR-SDRAM PC3200 - 512 MBytes

Software

DirectX version 9.0c

Archived