Corsair Community

Lock LEDs not working, two K70s

TheoParke

I got both of my K70s now and I absolutely love them. They work great on my Macs ... with one tiny exception.

The Caps lock, Numlock and Scroll lock lights do not light up. This is the case on both keyboards (black/black and black/silver).

Any idea why? I thought it was just a fluke on the black/black one that I got a week ago, but the black/silver one arrived today and it does the same thing!

So far, everything else on the keyboard works great. Backlighting is fine, media keys, etc. all work superbly. I just wonder why the lock lights don't light up.

I have not tested either keyboard on my PC yet.

When I change settings on the BIOS switches, the backlighting flickers momentarily but then the keyboard works normally again. When I set the switch to the furthest setting (the one without a number), the Caps lock LED works again, but the Scroll lock LED blinks repeatedly. It does that after restarting, as well. Nothing I do seems to get the Scroll lock light to stop blinking except moving the BIOS switch again. And then none of the LEDs work.

Well, the keyboard was designed for windows systems. The BIOS setting is for compatiblity with all systems that can use PC USB keyboards. the scroll lock flashing is telling you it's in legacy bios mode. The windows and menu keys don't function in that mode.

I had the same issue on my K70 that arrived today.

I flicked the switch over to bios by going click, click, click, so in a steady steps to bios then click click click in steady steps back to the other end then left the kb for about 2 mins.

This seemed to reset the the leds as they flashed on/off a couple times over the whole kb (both red and white) then stayed correctly lit.

I think the white LEDs just get thrown into a weird cycle when first plugged in.

Tested the keyboard on the WinXP boot of the same laptop. Under Windows, the LEDs work fine. I didn't even have to install the Corsair drivers, they just worked. All three of them responded to their appropriate keys.

Rebooted the laptop back to Mac OS X, and the LEDs are dead again.

No, I've been buying PC keyboards for Mac for years and none of them have given me any problem. So it's not a question of me being lucky, it's a matter of why so many other keyboards work just fine with the Mac while the Corsair has this very weird issue.

It's interesting that all the media keys work just fine, including the volume control, with no drivers or Corsair software loaded whatsoever. The lock LEDs seems like they should be an internal function of the keyboard that should have nothing to do with what operating system the computer is running.

• Corsair Employees
The reason why our media keys work without drivers (for PC anyways) is because we use the default HID service in Windows. It eliminates additional driver or software, but also relies on the software you're controlling to use the same service too.

The reason why our media keys work without drivers (for PC anyways) is because we use the default HID service in Windows. It eliminates additional driver or software, but also relies on the software you're controlling to use the same service too.

It stands to reason then that Macs also use the same HID service, because the media controls all work fine, and have worked on other non-Corsair/non-Apple keyboards as well.

Ram Guy, do you have any explanation for why the lock LEDs are somehow disabled/nonfunctional on Macs as opposed to Windows? It seems like such a silly, arbitrary thing to not work.

No, I've been buying PC keyboards for Mac for years and none of them have given me any problem. So it's not a question of me being lucky, it's a matter of why so many other keyboards work just fine with the Mac while the Corsair has this very weird issue.

It's not a K70 thing. My K90 has done this since day one. You might also find the right hand side "command" key doesn't work either.

• 5 weeks later...

I have a problem like this too. The Num lock does not work. sometimes I'm able to light it up...but it stay light up and if the pc start with the numlock led off it will stay off even if I press the numlock button.

i've try to pass in bios mode but it is the same and the ScrollLock led blink.

In mode 1 the capslock and scroll lock works perfectly...only the numlock...

• Corsair Employees
We think it may just be an enumeration issue with OSX in comparison to Windows. I've reported it as an issue but I don't know when or if it'lll ever be resolved since we don't officially support OSX.

• 3 months later...

I'm in this boat as well, using it on OSX. I've found that if I set it to BIOS, I can at least get the caps lock LED to show the right state. The num lock/scroll lock LEDs though are stuck as whatever they are, usually with the scroll lock flashing, but I don't really care personally, as caps lock is the only one I am actively looking for when I type. Funnily enough, when in BIOS mode, Scroll Lock and Pause Break act like the brighten/dim buttons for the screen, so that's kind of an accidental feature for me, since I use those a lot too.

The mechanical switch action on this keyboard is more than worth the 'hassle', I friggin love it, and everything else works about it (media keys, red LED settings, etc)

• 11 months later...
It's the same under Linux OS also, which uses the same hardware as any Windows PC, or Mac for that matter (if you are dual booting). The bug is specific to any non-Windows OS. And is further isolated when only the desktop environment is running. For example, during post, bios setup, switching to a new TTY, the three status Led's work. After X starts, they become disabled. Changing the bios mode selector has no affect. Check the Led active-states in the firmware code. I'm willing to bet that's where the problem lies.

Archived