The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Cooling

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2018, 09:02 AM
jeffk42's PC Specs

POST ID # = 982983
jeffk42 Reputation: 10
Default New H115i RGB Install; Disconnect Issues, etc.

Hi,

I just bought this H115i RGB cooler to replace a dead Enermax cooler. I'm pretty sure everything is connected correctly, since it's mostly doing what it's supposed to do. I'm using the latest iCUE software (currently 3.9.93).

For a while, the software was locking up for 20-30 seconds every time I tried to click on a different profile or change tabs (ie, from "Home" to "Settings") where Windows 10 would report it as "Not Responding" for a while, and then eventually come back and respond to clicks again. Of course, as of this morning this behavior has stopped and it's running normally after no particular intervention from me. Not sure what that was about.

Moving on, I've had a couple of strange behaviors popping up, but they've been hard to nail down. Things like the fans occasionally not paying attention to the performance setting (ie, they'll be at 600-700 rpm with the coolant temp at 34C, when the Extreme performance option has them running at 100% after 30C. Then as soon as I bring the iCUE app up, they bounce back to 100% like they were just caught by the boss slacking off). Of course, as I'm typing this I can't recreate it, go figure.

More annoying than that though is the constant disconnects that seem to generally happen after a reboot. I'll be on my creatively named "Profile 2" and then I'll restart the computer. Colors change to the Default profile, and once I'm logged in I start getting the USB disconnect sound in Windows, about every 10 to 20 seconds. I never hear the "connect" sound like the user in this thread, just disconnects over and over. The colors remain in the Default profile. If I go into iCUE at this point, the profile has been reset to Default. I can reselect Profile 2 and things go back to normal, and from that point forward I stop hearing the disconnect sound until the next restart. This problem is repeatable, and I've created a third profile with a different lighting scheme and it exhibits the same problem.

For reference, Profile 2 had the pump on one of the rainbow modes, and each fan was on Temperature (one for the coolant, one for the CPU temp). Profile 3 was just set to Heartbeat.

Old 12-01-2018, 10:26 AM
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 982996
DevBiker Reputation: 83

Which H115i RGB? Pro or Platinum?

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Old 12-01-2018, 12:03 PM
jeffk42's PC Specs

POST ID # = 983005

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevBiker View Post
Which H115i RGB? Pro or Platinum?
It's the Platinum. :)

Old 12-01-2018, 02:43 PM
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 983022

OK. So when it disconnects, have you tried restarting the service?
Are you using the USB drivers that came with the motherboard or the ones that Windows auto detects?
Do you have Windows Fast Startup disabled?

... and finally ... is it connected directly to the motherboard or via some kind of adapter?

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Old 12-02-2018, 08:26 AM
jeffk42's PC Specs

POST ID # = 983098

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevBiker View Post
OK. So when it disconnects, have you tried restarting the service?
Well, the disconnects only happen on startup and will continue to happen until I bring iCUE to the foreground by clicking on the taskbar icon. Once I bring iCUE to the foreground, it stops disconnecting and I can close the iCUE window and it's fine. Although since it has reset my active profile to "Default", first I have to re-select my desired profile.

If I reboot and the disconnects start happening, I can quit iCUE from the taskbar and the disconnects stop. Then I can start the application, re-select my desired profile which has been reverted to "Default", and it's running fine.

Quote:
Are you using the USB drivers that came with the motherboard or the ones that Windows auto detects?
I don't know, to be honest. How would I find this information?

Quote:
Do you have Windows Fast Startup disabled?
Disabled, although the behavior is the same regardless of how I have this set.

Quote:
... and finally ... is it connected directly to the motherboard or via some kind of adapter?
Directly to the motherboard using the included cable attached to the pump and to the USB header.

Old 12-02-2018, 11:48 AM
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 983149

For the drivers - if you installed the drivers that came with your motherboard, then you should be using those. You can always reinstall them; they'll be included in the chipset drivers from your motherboard manufacturer.

Let's also see if there is a cable issue - you can confirm they by using a standard micro USB cable and routing to the rear I/O.

Old 12-10-2018, 08:40 PM
jeffk42's PC Specs

POST ID # = 984775

My apologies, got sent out of town for work and just got back. I'll update you once I've installed the motherboard drivers and tested with a new cable. I really appreciate your help!

Old 12-10-2018, 09:27 PM
jeffk42's PC Specs

POST ID # = 984780

Okay, so partial update and additional info:

I updated the chipset drivers and a couple of other things that were available for my motherboard (Asus ROG STRIX x399-E Gaming). I updated the BIOS to the latest version. I updated to the latest iCUE (3.10.125). Upon restart, the issue started happening again. After spending a little time on it, I turned on debug logging and noticed an error:

Quote:
2018-12-10 20:15:18.4251 | 53 | ATLANTIS | 3.10.0.20 | PlatinumDeviceHidCommunicationHandler | ReadBufferWithRetry -> Operation timed out.
I've also noticed the following with the current setup:

This ONLY happens on startup (so I doubt it's the cable), the USB disconnect sound happens every 10-20 seconds. When I bring up iCUE, it has reverted to the Default profile, but the actual settings are not active (ie, the Default profile has the "Extreme" setting on the fans which should put them on at 100% at 30C, but at 32C they're only going about 500 rpm). I can change the profile, but the fans don't speed up even though they should. The disconnect sound keeps happening.

Then I quit the iCUE service and restart it. It's back to the Default profile again. But now that I've restarted it, the fans are working as expected (100% at 32C until the temp drops below 30C), and changing the profile seems to work as expected. The disconnect sound stops for good, until the next restart. After the next reboot, the process starts over again. I have to quit the iCUE service that's auto-started on boot, and start it again myself.

Edit: never mind. After letting it sit for 15-20 minutes, it started the disconnect noise again. It wasn't doing that after restarting the service, until just now. But this time without restarting iCUE, I was able to go in to the application where the profile had NOT switched to default (but the fans had slowed down), I changed the "Performance" profile and then back to where it was (Balanced) and the fans immediately sped up to appropriate levels. So weird. And now the disconnect sound is gone again.

Last edited by jeffk42; 12-10-2018 at 09:38 PM.

Old 12-15-2018, 01:49 AM
Don_Thate's PC Specs

POST ID # = 985486
Don_Thate Reputation: 10

Did you ever get a fix for this? I just finished building my new machine with the H115i Platinum and am facing the same problem.

Old 12-15-2018, 09:40 PM
jeffk42's PC Specs

POST ID # = 985627

No, unfortunately it's still happening. It seemed at first that it was only happening on reboot until I had a chance to restart the service. But it turns out that that will fix it for a while, maybe 30-60 minutes, and then it starts again. Whenever I start hearing the disconnect chime again, I have to restart the service and reselect my desired profile for it to start working again. The error is the same every time in the logs:

Quote:
2018-12-15 18:53:16.6263 | 21 | ERROR: PlatinumDeviceHidCommunicationHandler | ReadBufferWithRetry -> Operation timed out.

Last edited by jeffk42; 12-15-2018 at 09:43 PM.

Old 12-21-2018, 11:07 PM
fedaykinwolf's PC Specs

POST ID # = 986521
fedaykinwolf Reputation: 10

Yep same problem for me, I can make the issue happen by 1) plugging in a USB device (iPhone 6+ does it each time) and 2) when i run Kodi 18 RC3 (0r RC2)

If I close iCUE, the problem goes away but my mouse and keyboard, both Corsair, are featureless...

Corsair Ticket #811245

Old 12-26-2018, 05:12 PM
jeffk42's PC Specs

POST ID # = 987062

That's interesting. I wonder if one of my USB devices is causing the failure. I've got a couple of external drives, a card reader, a microphoone, a CAC reader, a couple of scanners, etc. I'll have to try removing everything else and plugging them back in one at a time to see if one of them is conflicting.

Old 12-27-2018, 03:26 PM
nezff's PC Specs

POST ID # = 987245
nezff Reputation: 10

Im seeing something similar on the H100i platinum I just installed. It never did it until today. Ive been running the pc for about a week before this getting it ready for xmas. He got a void pro rgb usb headset and I have noticed the lights flicker, but still stay lit on the h100i plat.

Restarting the icue software fixes it. By restart I mean inside the software and using the restart button.

Last edited by nezff; 12-29-2018 at 08:04 PM.

Old 01-10-2019, 11:29 AM
burnteskimos42's PC Specs

POST ID # = 989126
burnteskimos42 Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedaykinwolf View Post
Yep same problem for me, I can make the issue happen by 1) plugging in a USB device (iPhone 6+ does it each time) and 2) when i run Kodi 18 RC3 (0r RC2)

If I close iCUE, the problem goes away but my mouse and keyboard, both Corsair, are featureless...

Corsair Ticket #811245
I'm having the same issue, H100i RGB Platinum. As soon as iCue starts, I start getting usb connected/disconnected notification noises. every time that the disconnect noise plays, I hear the fans on the radiator shut off (and I'm reasonably sure the pump shuts off as well, given it seems to be managed through iCue). The fans will start to spin back up, and then the disconnect noise plays again and it all shuts right back off.
It's affecting my temperatures, and I fear for the safety of my CPU, should I put it under load.

Drivers are all installed at this point, only thing I haven't updated is the BIOS, but this seems to be a fairly common issue. I need a fix, asap, please...

Old 01-10-2019, 10:15 PM
jeffk42's PC Specs

POST ID # = 989204

I put in a ticket for the problem, so did fedaykinwolf above. I don't know how he's faring, but I have yet to get a response. I imagine they're drowning in similar tickets considering how common it seems to be in the forums. But for now, every time I hear the disconnect noise I go into iCUE and select a different profile, and then re-select the original one. That seems to get it going again most of the time. When it doesn't, I quit iCUE completely from the taskbar and restart it.

For what it's worth, in my case the fans don't completely stop when I get the USB disconnect chime. They drop to 500-600 rpm according to iCUE (weird that the driver stops working on disconnect, but the temp and speed sensors continue to report values). I haven't noticed the pump speed dropping, which is good. Changing the profile and changing it back kicks the fans back into action and they speed back up to the appropriate speeds, and I see the temperature start to drop.

Of course, that's not a real solution. I shouldn't have to be doing this every 15-20 minutes. Luckily I haven't seen the pump temp rise above 35C, but that's usually where it's hanging out when the driver has zoned out for a while.