Corsair Community

Old X128 locked/BIOS password - PSID Revert?

Galaxarion

Old X128 SSD that always worked well. Awhile back I tried to secure erase it using a 3rd party tool like Parted Magic and somehow locked the drive, won't boot Windows - a BIOS password screen appears immediately at power on when it's installed in any computer now, with no BIOS passwords set on the host computer.

However, the drive can be accessed externally via USB, when connected it shows up in Disk Management and Windows Explorer and files can be accessed, read and write. I installed the Corsair SSD Toolbox on the laptop the SSD is connected to and the Toolbox will show the drive info, but of course Secure Erase (and other erase methods) and even the TRIM command do nothing - Secure Erase can even lock up the laptop and TRIM will disconnect the SSD from USB.

I've read about doing a PSID revert as a way to completely wipe the SSD and undo this lock, but there is no PSID code on the SSD case and I haven't found any info online about a Corsair PSID revert tool, not sure if another manufacturer's tool would work with the drive.

Anyway, I submitted a support ticket to Corsair, they replied promptly but of course want me to send the drive in with my original sales receipt, which is long gone and the SSD is long out of warranty.

Can anything be done to salvage the drive? There's no important data on it so any type of secure erase/de-encryption that unlocks it doesn't matter. I'd just like to be able to use the drive fully again, Hard Disk Sentinel reports 76% life remaining with no errors so it would be worth it, despite its age and small capacity. Thanks.

• Corsair Employee

Hello Galaxarion,

I'm sorry to hear about the issue. Unfortunately we don't have a tool available for PSID revert. It's possible another tool may work, but we wouldn't have any specific recommendation regarding one, sorry. It's certainly odd that it will work fine via USB but not internally.

Archived