Corsair Community

how should I make the connections? H80i v2

jesuadr

hi like tittle says i have some problems i need to solve:

1)How should I make the connections of the two fans to be able to control the speed of them with CLink4?

2)How should I configure them on the motherboard?

ask this because I connect the fans as they are supposed to go and in the CorsairLink4 I do not see one of the fans (the fan that expels air out of the case) to change its speed so it turns very fast rpm. the temporary solution was to connect this fan to the motherboard and regulate it in this, but its speed remains constant at all times and although the CLink4 shows me the fan connected to the motherboard, obviously does not allow me to configure the speed from this. like I said, I can regulate the speed of the fan that draws hot air from the cabinet.

well I'm waiting for your help thanks

1) Plug them into the splitter coming from the pump. There is only one internal fan controller, so both fans will show as one controllable entity in Link. They will run the same speed in accordance with what you set in Link.

2) The lead from the H80i v2 supplies power for both pump and fans. Connect it to your CPU fan header (on most boards) and then set it to 100%/disabled/Full Speed or whatever language your BIOS uses to signify a constant 12v signal. Leave in on maximum and all pump and fan control is done through Link, not the BIOS or other fan controls.

There will likely be other, possibly extraneous fan dial and measurements in the left panel. The H80i v2 pump and fans can be altered from the H80i v2 box on the right. Click the pump or fan to bring up a pop-up with options. H80i v2 Temp is the coolant temperature inside the unit. This is what you want for fan control, but you will need to learn your range. It varies with room and case temperature.

thank you but i probe what you told me and other kind of possible connections and it does not work

so the only way is to have the 3-pin fan connected to the motherboard and configure it from there at a constant speed, but in this way it is very annoying. On the other hand my motherboard have cpu fan and cpu opt header. Which one should I use?

For the pump lead, it does not matter if you use CPU fan or a CHA fan header, as long as it is set to 100%, "Full Speed", or disabled. Most people use the CPU fan header because something has to be on CPU fan to boot and it otherwise makes for a poor case fan header, limited to CPU temp only. You can use the H80i v2 with all motherboard controls. In that instance, you likely would want the two fans on CPU/OPT and then the pump on a spare CHA fan header. Pump still at 100%, fans set to your desired settings.

You'll need to be more specific about what "does not work" and what you are seeing in Link. Do you see a box in Link labeled H80i v2 with the pump, fan, and coolant temperature?

When you click on the fan in that box, do you get the pop-up window with the fan controls? Is the control "Group" set to H80i v2 Temp? What curve did you try? Did you try a fixed %?

when I disable the pump or I leave it at 100% in the bios the fans are 100% triggered and there is no way to set the temperature / speed curve since corsair link does not do anything, the fans that work all the time in full speed, although choose the balanced, performance or personal configuration.

what I have seen and I do not know if it is correct, is that, one of the male connectors of the pump, the one with 3 pins, are set as follows:

pin-pin-no pin-pin

so when connecting the female connector that leaves the 3-pin fan, only 2 pins enter the female connector hole, then the connector will be fine or will it have failed? Should not the 3 pins enter?

No, the pin arrangement is right because there is no speed control through the header. Power and ground. You cannot control either pump or fans through the BIOS settings when on the internal fan controller.

In Link, you need to either put up a screen shot of what you see in that pop-up configuration box or explain in more detail. What is the exact fan speed? Control group? Did you try a fixed %? These are the included SP120L fans, correct?

In Link, you need to either put up a screen shot of what you see in that pop-up configuration box or explain in more detail. What is the exact fan speed? Control group? Did you try a fixed %? These are the included SP120L fans, correct?

look like I said before, I did everything, connect, disconnect, probe in all the connectors and probe all the configurations in the link and in the bios and nothing.

the problem is with the fan that draws air, this is the one that I can not regulate the speed from link. the fan that puts air into the radiator, yes I can regulate its rpm from the link....

I know it's a pain, but you probably need to take the misbehaving fan off and test it on another motherboard header. Actually, since we are only checking for responsiveness to speed inputs, you can move the connection only and leave the fan mounted. See if it responds to motherboard PWM signals. It is starting to look like a bad fan, but we shall see.

I had forgotten to tell you that the original fan of the radiator, the fan we are talking about, at the time stopped working and because of not being able to get the original I had to replace it with the corsair Sp120 high performance edition fan.

I had forgotten to tell you that the original fan of the radiator, the fan we are talking about, at the time stopped working and because of not being able to get the original I had to replace it with the corsair Sp120 high performance edition fan.

Aha! The SP120 fan is not a PWM controlled fan, it's DC-controlled. The H80iv2 only supports PWM controlled fans. So you'd need to replace the SP120. Personally, I'd recommend getting a pair of ML-120 fans. They have excellent static pressure, are PWM controlled, far quieter than the stock fans and work very well.

The SP120 comes in a bunch of different variations including LED,PWM, and standard voltage controlled 3 pin DC. There is a PWM version out there and it is essentially the same fan as the stock model, albeit with the colored rings and heavier corners. You should be able to find this for a reasonable price.

A 2xML120 Pro would be a very good replacement for both fans if are looking to make a change. Same performance (if not better) and less noise and medium and low speeds. Also have a few PWM single LED color choices if that's appealing.

Two HD120 will work, it is PWM, but getting into this series brings some other complications. You need a SATA line for lighting power, the light control box must also be mounted somewhere in the case, a small physical remote control, and two wires per fan. I would not want to mix the HD series with the existing SP120L (grey) fan. They have different rpm ranges and controlling them together will be a bit of a nuisance. You would want to do both fans.

Archived