Corsair Community

Help with a H80 (loud noise, not buzzing)

dumle29

Hi, so i have installed an H80 on my cpu yesterday, but the noise level is unbearable, sometimes its constant, othertimes it seems to change volume, as if it were resonating with something. I have a video of the noise, at balanced setting and idle load:

Also, on a stock clocked i7-2600k, with the rad as an intake, and the ambient air at max 25 degrees, im running 43 °C on the hottest core, and 36 °C on the coolest core.

One thing i did notice during installation, was that the unit made a sloshing sound, when turned upside down or otherwise moved around, would this indicate insufficient coolant, or is this all fine?

bare in mind, that this is my first attempt at any sort of liquid cooling, and i was hoping for some better results than my V8, with reduced strain on my mobo.

thank you for you time :) ill keep enduring this noise :P

When you start your computer, The H80 fans will run at the max rpms and then slow down it is normal. If they do not slow down, try a firmware reset.

To reset the firmware, use the following procedure:

1. While the computer is running, hold down the profile button for approximately five seconds

2. Wait one minute, while the unit continues to run

3. Shut down your computer

4. Press and hold the profile button for five seconds while turning on the power to your computer.

One thing i did notice during installation, was that the unit made a sloshing sound, when turned upside down or otherwise moved around, would this indicate insufficient coolant, or is this all fine?

All is fine. There is some air in there by design.

As far as the fans go, Toasted is correct. The fans will spin up to max when first starting. The firmware has it's own procedure for start up. So that is completely normal too

I would suggest re mounting th cooling head with fresh thermal compound to see if your temps don't drop some. They should out perform a V-8 by a mile.

Archived